• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

First day of the rest of my life

Thank you, Today is the was the first day without pain meds and it hasn’t been that bad. If you don’t mind the bloating and gas. Ugh!...and feeling completely waterlogged. Keeping up with the liquids is liter a ful time job.
Are you able to get out for walks? That helps with a lot of the gas and bloated feelings, T least that really helped me. I had very little discomfort by the end of week one and zero discomfort by the end of week two post op.

Congratulations
May I ask if postoperative at the hospital is grueling
I wouldn't characterize my night and day after surgery at the hospital as grueling at all. I was in a private bariatric "suite" after the surgery, which was a nice comfortable room. I don't know if every hospital does that. There is some post-operative pain, of course, but I was able to get up and walk after the anesthesia wore off. I walked as often as they would let me. They were very attentive to pain control, which was handled well. They will get you started on drinking water and a protein drink. For me, they checked my blood sugar often, which was a little annoying, but not horrible. They may have you breathe into a device to encourage deep breathing occasionally. Compared to a couple of open surgeries I've had for hernias, the post-op at the hospital was a dream.

I wouldn't characterize my night and day after surgery at the hospital as grueling at all. I was in a private bariatric "suite" after the surgery, which was a nice comfortable room. I don't know if every hospital does that. There is some post-operative pain, of course, but I was able to get up and walk after the anesthesia wore off. I walked as often as they would let me. They were very attentive to pain control, which was handled well. They will get you started on drinking water and a protein drink. For me, they checked my blood sugar often, which was a little annoying, but not horrible. They may have you breathe into a device to encourage deep breathing occasionally. Compared to a couple of open surgeries I've had for hernias, the post-op at the hospital was a dream.
How long was your stay?

Back