• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

First day of the rest of my life

Wow! My program operates on Mondays and expects you to go home on Thursdays. You can leave when you are keeping down 1oz every 15 minutes, including the 4oz of protein water they brought 3X's a day, with no issues. They also leave a drain, so they can check for leaks. While I love home, I really appreciated the extra time to make sure everything was okay and I wasn't going to have to go back. I had no issues and got to leave Wed. morning.

I wouldn't characterize my night and day after surgery at the hospital as grueling at all. I was in a private bariatric "suite" after the surgery, which was a nice comfortable room. I don't know if every hospital does that. There is some post-operative pain, of course, but I was able to get up and walk after the anesthesia wore off. I walked as often as they would let me. They were very attentive to pain control, which was handled well. They will get you started on drinking water and a protein drink. For me, they checked my blood sugar often, which was a little annoying, but not horrible. They may have you breathe into a device to encourage deep breathing occasionally. Compared to a couple of open surgeries I've had for hernias, the post-op at the hospital was a dream.
WazzuCoug that is great that you had a private bariatric suite. I think that either my surgeon or hospital must be sadistic or trying to trust my will power after I had the surgery. I slept very little the night after the surgery because the nurses had me up and walking about 2 hours after I moved out of recovery then they had me start to drink small amounts of water. What I view as the cruelty (i am being sarcastic) was the first morning post op. My roommate in the hospital had surgery on his ankle and the nurse came in around 6:30 a.m. and asked him what he wanted for breakfast. He ordered eggs, bacon, orange juice, coffee, yogurt and french toast. The aide then brings in his food and I am sitting in my bed thinking that has to be a cruel joke that someone is playing on me. Then the aide brings me my paltry breakfast of 1/4 cup of cream of wheat and sugar free custard that could fill a thimble.

WazzuCoug that is great that you had a private bariatric suite. I think that either my surgeon or hospital must be sadistic or trying to trust my will power after I had the surgery. I slept very little the night after the surgery because the nurses had me up and walking about 2 hours after I moved out of recovery then they had me start to drink small amounts of water. What I view as the cruelty (i am being sarcastic) was the first morning post op. My roommate in the hospital had surgery on his ankle and the nurse came in around 6:30 a.m. and asked him what he wanted for breakfast. He ordered eggs, bacon, orange juice, coffee, yogurt and french toast. The aide then brings in his food and I am sitting in my bed thinking that has to be a cruel joke that someone is playing on me. Then the aide brings me my paltry breakfast of 1/4 cup of cream of wheat and sugar free custard that could fill a thimble.
Yikes! I feel pretty lucky that no one was ordering french toast in the the same room! That was cruel!! :)

Back