• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Food

KarenLB

Hello,
I have been doing everything that the Dr, Dietitians, PTs and Psych have instructed me to do. I have actually been a pretty good kid. I have even purchased non-flavored protein to put into my food as was recommended by the Dietitian. It has been awhile since I have seen them but I do have a question. I understand after the sleeve that my stomach will be the size of a banana and there wont be room for much food. Will I ever be able to eat JUST food? That was actually a concern of my husband as he is the one who is my cook. He is just worried that I will have to live on suppliments for the rest of my life.
Thanks,
Karen

Hi, I just had my surgeryon Oct.11th. My dietitian gave an all day class weeks before my surgery. I have a binder full of information of what to do & eat and when. Did you get any of this info. If not you need to talk with your dietitian. As soon as possiable. I had the RNY so my diet is different. But I will be eating regular food soon. Just very small amounts. My stomach is the size of a golfball. Good luck.

Thank you Tonja, I do have another appointment with my dietitian again but it will be another couple of weeks. I am getting so excited.

Welcome and congrats on your decision to have WLS. You didn't say when you had the surgery so it is hard to say what stage you are at with the food. The beginning is about getting in your protein and usually the best way to do this is protein drinks. I can only speak from my experience, but I then went to pureed soft food for 2 weeks. Every 2 weeks I progressed until 8 weeks when I was on regular food in very small portions 4 oz total, or what I could get down with protein always being first. In the begining just getting in your protein, water and vitamins seems like a lot to do. Things will get better. I am 5 months post op and just tried red meat for the first time as per my nutritionist instructions. Also you may try something and it might not be right for you at that time. You can then try it again at another time. I hope you were given information about what to do. If you have questions, call her nutritionist and she can answer your questions. I wouldn't wait 3 weeks if you are unsure what you should be eating. You can reassure your husband that he will be cooking real food for you before he knows it. Come back to the forum there is a great deal of support and knowledge here, but your surgeons office should be providing you with information.

Karen-The short answer to your questions is yes, you will be able to eat "regular" food. The longer answer is that you will need to progress back to eating it by following a meal plan designed especially to allow you to heal and provide you with the proper nutrients. Once you get closer to your surgery date you should be attending either an orientation and / or nutrition classes that will explain everything to you in great detail. You should be given written material with very detailed instructions regarding your post surgery meal plans.

Hi Karen,
Had the sleeve on Oct 24. I had to continue the liquid diet for 2 weeks. It is true there is not much room in there. A 12 oz protein shake takes me hours to get down and sometimes I just can't get all of it in. Most of the time if I try to have a serving of soup (1 cup), I can't finish it. I had a dietary goal of 400-600 calories, 50-60g of protein and 5-6 8oz of sugar-free fluid totals for the end of the first 2 weeks post-op. I don't usually reach those totals mainly because of room. Though I try harder with the fluids. My doc said don't worry about it just listen to my stomach and don't push it.
Now I get to have "soft" foods (i.e. eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, oatmeal, soft veggies, flaky fish etc). My doc has me staying of soft foods for a month and then going to regular foods. I know I will have to start picking food with more nutritional value than I did in the past but it should still be regular food. I see the dietician again before I make the switch from "soft" to "regular". Be glad to swap notes anytime. Hope it helps and good luck!

Thanks everyone. Everything you have said has been very helpful. I saw my dietian yesterday and I know that I will be OK but it is just good to get those kind of questions answered.

Karen

Back