• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

freaking out

I started liquid diet last Wednesday. Have only lost 1 pound. I have one week to go til surgery. How did some of you lose 10-15 pounds in 2 weeks on this diet?What am I doing wrong? I'm drinking 4 protein shakes a day to equal 80gm of protein and unlimited tea, crystal light, jello and broth. I'm worried I won't lose enough before surgery.

What are you using to make your protein shakes?

Are you walking several times a day?

What type of protein powder are you using?

Ask you nutritionist what protein powders they recommend.

OR.... :)

It may be stress related, in which case walk more.

The following is what my pre surgical diet looked like.

AM
• Protein Drink Supplement
• 1 cup skim milk or container light yogurt
Mid Morning
• Fiber Supplement (5 grams of fiber)
Noon
• 1 cup skim milk or container light yogurt

Dinner
Evening
• 1- cup skim milk or container light yogurt

*Fiber Supplement = 2-3 teaspoons of Benefiber is what we recommend mixed with 8 oz of clear liquid.*

I started liquid diet last Wednesday. Have only lost 1 pound. I have one week to go til surgery. How did some of you lose 10-15 pounds in 2 weeks on this diet?What am I doing wrong? I'm drinking 4 protein shakes a day to equal 80gm of protein and unlimited tea, crystal light, jello and broth. I'm worried I won't lose enough before surgery.

More important than the actual weight loss is the fact that this liquid diet gives the liver a rest. The liver becomes less fatty and what I understand also shrinks. 10-15 pounds is a lot. I was averaging about 4 pounds per week for a total of 8 pounds 2 weeks prior to surgery. I used protein shakes (Premier Protein Shake) and glucerna. My total calorie count each day was 1200 calories.

Hi Dancinbr... That is what my surgeons nurse said, it helps to defat the liver and this helps to prevent any potential damage to the liver during surgery.

I started on the 27th as well. The first 3-4 days I too only lost a pound or two and I was keeping all the fluids but then it was like the flood wall burst and I started releasing all of the fluids. on day 5 I weighed in and lost 15 pounds. Day 6 all the fluid retained in my calves and ankles gone. Now on day 8 I am down 20 pounds.

This is interesting.. my doctor only requires 3 days clear liquid diet prior to the surgery to soften the liver. Nothing more.

Had surgery Tuesday, Dec 10 so far have lost 20 pounds. It seems to be happening pretty quick. I see my surgeon for first post-op appointment this Friday. Right now I'm still on clear liquid, broth, jello, popsicles, water, tea and protein shakes. Really hasn't been too bad since I'm so busy with Christmas. Got out of hospital on Thursday. Been off pain meds since Friday.

Lookin4life, congrats on the surgery. Glad to hear the weight is coming off. Do me a favor and measure yourself the next time you step on the scale. The reason for this is that at some point soon, you will hit what looks like a stall. Normally once you start increasing your exercise load, going to the gym etc. By measuring yourself you will see if the inches are coming off while the weight remains the same. This indicates that your body is building muscle mass, which by volume weighs more than fat. So you may be stalled on the scale, but you're losing inches, which is as good as weight loss. Just thought you might want to be ready.

Frank

:cool:

Back