• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Friday is coming fast!

Eleanor

Hey guys!

I'm Eleanor. I'm 29 years old, married and a momma of 2 kids: Christian (6) and Audrey (1). My surgery - Gastric Bypass - is this Friday. 2 days to go!!
I am psyched about it, but getting more nervous by the day. I am nervous about who I will be when I lose my weight. I've been overweight my ENTIRE life. At 6 years old, I was 180lbs ... when I say my entire life, I mean my ENTIRE life. This has shaped my identity, so I have no idea what I'll feel like when the person I've always known is different. Don't get me wrong - I'm SUPER excited to finally be thin and healthier, but I'm nervous about all the changes it will bring.
I'm also nervous about something happening to me during surgery. I've been chickening out over the last couple of days because I was afraid of doing something to make my kids lose their mom. I know this fear is unfounded, but it is what it is.
I'm also struggling MAJORLY with the liquid diet. I have failed miserably at it. Is there anything I can do over the next couple of days to make sure everything in there is cleaned out?
I'm so glad I found this group! My local support group is not extremely helpful, so this is a gem for me!
I look forward to sharing my journey with you all!

Hi Eleanor
I'm a male 61 years old-my surgery was a RNY also and was done on 4/08/2011-I weighed 357 and now am 178-I was diabetic with HBP and elevated cholestrol levels-I also used a c-pap machine-I now take only a pill for gout that I picked up by eating a high protien diet,a great trade off for me.
Everyone that goes thru this feels some trepidation,fear or apprehension as the big day approches and some more than others-in my group over a 15 year period,with over 3000 surgeries under their belt they have yet to lose a patient during the surgery-those were pretty good odds and I was more than willing to take them for the overall benefit it meant to my life-but it's your life and it's in your hands.-No one can make you do this if you truely don't want it-Just make sure you want to change your life before you do this because it does-All for the better for me.
You,no doubt,have had to undergo classes and health testing to make sure your body is ready for this surgery-keep in mind that one of the things they tell us is that this is not a cure,it's a tool-One tool the surgerns have to help them is the liquid diet-it shrinks the size of your liver prior to surgery so it's easier for them to build your new food pouch-They need to lift your liver and work under it to form your pouch and join the small bowel section to it for the new food pathway bypassing your stomach-by not complying you risk them having a harder time or in extreme cases them not completing your surgery.
Try mixing a coffee drink useing Sanka,sweetners and your protien power-that is if you like coffee drinks !
So sorry about your support group-I have been going to mine and have always learned something new or heard something different that made me think or helped me understand how things work_Good luck in your journey and welcome here.
Ron

The best advice is for you to follow your liquid diet starting right now. You have a few days until your surgery and will be prepared if you follow your diet. Keep something to drink with you at all times and if you feel hungry take a big drink. I have confidence that you will do great finishing your liquid diet. Stay strong.

Thanks, guys! I have not done as well as I should have on my liquids, but I am doing my best. I have not given up, and am doing it completely today and tomorrow.
Thanks for the advice! I can't believe tomorrow is the day before surgery! I'm definitely in it for the long haul ... these sort of things are just scary, as I'm sure you can all understand!

I had lap band done on 03-02-2012 my first week with clear liquids I had got the progressive soup and took the brouth off of that and sipped it out of a medicine cup. I would do this every two hours. I tried to move every two hours to. I know my surgery is not as bad as yours so you are probley alot sore than I was. I hope you do well.

Eleanor, I know just how you feel! My surgery is tomorrow, and until yesterday I was not the slightest bit anxious. But when I went in for my pre admission education session, they went through everything that will happen to me from the minute I arrive until I am checked out, hour by hour and in graphic detail. Now I am anxious! I have 2 kids too, 11 & 13, so I am also concerned that something can happen that they will lose their mom. My dad died at 51, the same age I am now. But I am consoling my self by the fact that without the surgery, there is a much greater risk that they will lose their mom any time due to all the co-morbidities I have. So keep in mind that in the long run you will be there for them much longer for having the surgery.

Good luck on Friday! And especially thereafter!

Hi Eleanor, Just wanted to check and see how you are doing post op. It is a week today since my surgery, so I expect we are about the same place in the recovery. I am doing pretty well a week out and hope you are too.

Quennie10

hi how are you feeling? I am sure you're glad your surgery is complete. Did you loose the 17 pounds since your surgery ? If so that's amazing. Are you on a liquid diet too? I don't know anyone whose had lap band. Just curious if the eating pattern is different than bariatric?
I get to see surgeon fri, can't wait i sure hope he gives me my surgery date for may, i am so beyond ready to get on with the program. Hope you are healing well, congratulations on the pounds you've already lost.
Good luck
donna

Hi eleanor

i think you're facing the fear's and anxities everyone faces, especially being a mom, our kids our what comes first. There will be alot of people praying for you and god will guide the surgeon's hands and you'll be able to start your new journey.
When you are feeling better please come back and share your story of how things went for you and how you are feeling. Praying for a speedy recovery for you and help with your little ones too.
Donna

it is absolutely norml to have the fear. we are going into uncharterted territory. You will be so happy that you did thid. I had my bypass my bypass is 2003 when I was 57 years old.,lost 120 lbs. in 2008 i FAINED 50 LBS. AND NOW i AM AT 198 AND 32 LBS WITHIN MY WEIGHT. tHIS IS A JOURNEy that lasts a lifetime and i still hve no regrets about having had itdone. since I was 57 I had all of the comrbidity factor,obesity,sleep apnea,hypogylcemia,hbp. and weighed 262. so I am on board for ou write any time patti

Back