• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

fries

I have been feeling really well for the past few days. I am 5 weeks out. My daughter just got door dash. A bacon cheeseburger and fries. Smelling it and watching her put all in her plate take a bite….I am fighting back tears. After taking tiny bites of yet another (almost) 1/2 an egg, I want to EAT something so badly right now. Just a small bite of a fry. It is killing me. I could sob.

Just don't. Best case, you'll make yourself sick. Worst case, you won't get sick. And so you'll eat more fries. Success is not guaranteed. Surgery truly is a tool. I know 2 people personally who have gained back a large percentage of the weight they lost by not following the guidelines. So, just don't.

Even so, these first few weeks are the WORST! Liquid diet is awful. It seems like everyone you seeks eating your favorite foods. You're tired. Hungry. Sad. I used to cry in the shower after my family had dinner.

It is ALL worth it. All of it. So, hang in there. Remind yourself that this diet is temporary. The sadness is temporary. The cravings are temporary. It does take a long time to be able to eat real food, in a reasonable serving size. Still worth it.

Plus, those foods are only good HOT! By the second bite they're kind of greasy and gross. So, door dashed fries are not worth your tears

How far out were you when you were able to ear the slider. Right now a few bites and I feel full and often nauseous. I am wondering about the progression from tiny bites and tiny amounts accompanied by discomfort to the gets better stage. Basically “the middle of the story”. The beginning of the story is “this is hard” and the end if the story is “it gets better and it is worth it”. It is the unknown that is freaking me out. Do I endure this phase for weeks? Months? Years? Before it gets better. I am struggling.

I want to EAT something so badly right now. Just a small bite of a fry. It is killing me. I could sob.

I-slug, I've noticed you're fighting a really intense battle right now and you've been asking a lot of questions about what others have experienced. So I wanted to make more comments than I already have on this topic, which is really craving, related to the mental illness that is an eating disorder.

A lot of people don't recognize the cause of obesity as an eating disorder because they think you have to be anorexic or bulimic. But if you feel like you'll die if you can't shoot up some smack or snort some coke or smoke some crack, you would probably recognize that you have a drug addiction or dependency. Why would it be any different with food?

Overeating leads to death. Period. Obesity leads to an array or cardiovascular and pulmonary problems. It breaks down your body. It destroys your organs. It's the primary cause of so many secondary illnesses that lead to death. it damages your bones. It puts people in wheelchairs. It raises blood sugar and leads to diabetes. And it ruins your life while you're still walking around with everyone else in the world, even though you may not see it or feel it. It's been the leading cause of death in America off and on for as long as I can remember.

Embracing the mental illness angle, seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist or even an MD or ARNP is a very logical and kind step to take for yourself. There are medications unrelated to weight loss that can help lessen obsessive eating and cravings. And there are medications to support the organs and systems that are being medically threatened by morbid obesity.

The fact that people like us don't see this clearly when we need to underscores the fact that it is a disease, a mental illness, an addiction, that needs medical attention. Bypass surgery is such a blessing and as a medical procedure, is so sophisticated. We're so lucky if we qualify for the surgery. But we are constantly told it's not a cure, only a tool, and that's so important to remember.

The problem is, it's not a cookie-cutter solution. You may see similarities in others, but not identical, so not evenly treatable.

The hidden truth in bypass surgery is that it doesn't cure your disease.

The more time you spend accepting the fact that you have a lethal, incurable disease, the more logical it seems to take steps necessary to be able to live with it, to survive it and not to die mercilessly from it. I have watched obesity kills so many people in my family and among my friends. And I understand it intimately because I've had my throat burning from sticking my finger down it, trying to purge so I can eat more and more.

In this support group, we share our stories and we know it's safe to do that. I'm so grateful for everyone here who's been so supportive of me. I'm 16 years post-op, but I didn't find this group for a year or two after surgery. I was lucky I had just become so obsessed with hiking and camping that when I wasn't out in the wilderness, I was at the YMCA training and staying in top shape in my late 50s. But once I found the group and people started growing it back to a healthy size and committing to giving and receiving support, everything became so much easier.

I guess my point is that we choose our mindset and whatever we choose relates to our struggle with obesity. We can obsess over that pile of french fries our kid is eating,, or we can work on self-improvement and most importantly, self-love. Corny as that sounds, loving oneself is the hardest thing to do. Why don't we crave it as intensely as a french fry? Because it's just easier to eat the delicious, fatty, sugary, chewy, yummy thing we can't control and wallow in our desire for it.

So of course, I'm always advising reading good support books, and taking time to go to the gym or get outside. But I think it's just as important not to let ourselves fall into fantasies of overeating and bingeing. And if you can't find strong mental control, get a blank book and journal, or do it on your computer, setting goals for yourself, but not making those goals too hard to reach. The physical act of writing is powerful for directing what you want to think and do.

If you are on soft foods. I would recommend peeling and cutting a fresh potatoe and air fry it or oven bake until soft. You can salt and pepper or dip in a little sugar free ketchup. You'll only be to get a few bites down of any foods right now, but it will progress over time.

Straight answer is it takes a LOT longer than 5 weeks to be able to eat any significant amount of solid food. I wasn't even allowed solid food until week 6 and still only managed one meal per day.

The middle of the story is it gets progressively easier every month.

The long, truthful story is you will never be able to eat the same amounts as you used to. Wasn't that the entire point of having the surgery?

If you are feeling nauseous or having pain when you eat, let your team know. They have medication that can help you.

Everyone’s experience is different. I know of people who have had no nausea at all so don’t let this scare you. For me, it feels mostly like regular nausea or like a weight in my stomach. There is A LOT of trial and error with foods and a learning to eat even slower and with even smaller bites that you imagine. And much less than you imagine. I also have a lot of anxiety ( which I work through in therapy). I think that adds to my nausea as well.

Back