• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Frustrated with myself

sharpmind

I am in my first month working with a dietician before setting a sx date. She didn't want me to lose any weight this month. All I needed to do was record my food intake(1600 cal nutritious food), not drink 30 min. ac/pc, and add exercise. Sounds simple enough but the month is almost up and I didnt do so well with journaling food. I find I start the day out well but eventually I get thoughts of "oh I may never have this again" and I end up over eating and out of shame i stop writing down food for the rest of the day. I only have about 2 weeks filled out sporatically. I guess I am no different than most but I'd like to know if anyone else gets or got feelings of "this may be the last time I eat this." I am also a perfectionist type and feel guilty for not doing my monthly assignment well. Any suggestions for letting go of these unproductive thoughts? :eek:

I think the reason the dietitian told you not to lose weight the first month was to see what you were eating that was causing problems. Take a deep breath and tell her the truth. Go back and fill in what naughty foods you can remember and don't be embarrassed, most of us have had problems with what we eat or we wouldn't have gained so much weight. I doubt that it will surprise the dietitian. To have bariatric surgery be successful then one must work with the professionals and not around them, otherwise you will be setting yourself up for failure. Each surgeon has his own ideas of how he wants his patients to eat. My doctor and nutritionist tell me that I can eat any food and any desert and no food is off the table, but I must concentrate on Protein rich foods. His method for success is to only eat a small amount of food at a time which is easy because the surgery makes your tummy tiny and after a little bit of food you will be super full. The number one rule is dont stretch your tummy out. Eat tiny bites slowly and chew your food well. I like his thinking because I never think I can never have my favorite foods and treats again but rather I can have them but not in access. When my tummy is full I must stop eating, and that is a very small amount. Truthfully since surgery I have not craved sweets or high calorie foods. I much prefer eating meat, eggs, vegetables, and salad. Also I like a small amount of fresh fruit. I think I like the idea knowing I can have a taste of any of my favorite foods but right now I choose not to. Wishing you the Best of Luck!

thanks Cheyenne, great advice. I had my appt today - lost 8lbs. I am making great progress toward the future according to the dietician. you are very right about being honest and forthcoming; how can they help me if i stay in denial and dont tell them the truth? I followed your advice and it was very positive. I have one more month of diet consultation before my insurance gives me the go ahead and can plan a date. I am getting very excited. This month I am to try the different protein shakes available and continue to avoid drinking with meals. I never realized how difficult that can be. Thanks again for the advice and insight into my future; it helped alot.

Journaling your food can give you great insight into your triggers. It can also surprise you when you discover something you thought was healthy wasn't so much.
Grieving over the loss of food is normal, but do your grieving, and get on with it. After surgery you will find that a lot of things no longer look good to you. I'm dreading my 6 month mark because then the real work begins, when they give the OK to eat anything you want. Hopefully the habits will be ingrained by then.

thanks Cheyenne, great advice. I had my appt today - lost :)8lbs. I am making great progress toward the future according to the dietician. you are very right about being honest and forthcoming; how can they help me if i stay in denial and dont tell them the truth? I followed your advice and it was very positive. I have one more month of diet consultation before my insurance gives me the go ahead
and can plan a date. I am getting very excited. This month I am to try the different protein shakes available and continue to avoid drinking with meals. I never realized how difficult that can be. Thanks again for the advice and insight into my future; it helped alot.

You're very welcome :) 8 lbs is wonderful. So glad you are doing great! This is a very difficult road for all of us, and some days are easy and some are very hard. Just take things one day at a time. You can do this.. we can do this.. we are all in this together! :)

Admitting your shortcomings is probably the hardest thing to do so GOOD FOR YOU! and this isn't an easy road nor is it meant to be. I think I've evolved more over the last 6 years since my surgery than I ever have. Point is, you will have positive and negatives in this experience. It's what you choose to do with them that will bring you through. Always know that you have support here. I've stumbled and fallen many a time. I always pick myself up, dust it off and move on...it is the best we can do. I'm honest with my patients about it too. I'm all for positive cheerleading AND presenting the dangers and pitfalls of this journey we have chosen. And yes...we ARE all in this together!! Who better to draw support, love and understanding from! xoxo

That's hardest part for me, being was willing to admit to others that I was eating things I shouldn't have. The thing is you can't hide it from you, so why try? Write down everything, even if you don't share it, at least you'll know what you've done and can begin working on it. The hardest part is changing the way you think about food, it is a fuel and nothing more. I remind myself of this every time I'm tempted to eat something I know I shouldn't. You are doing great and you'll do great after surgery, because you are recognizing your food shortcomings and working on them.

Frank

:cool:

Back