• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

frustrated!!!

I lost 40lbs pre surgery as directed by my doctor. I was 423lbs before surgery on august 16th. I have since lost 34 more lbs. For a toal of 74 lbs. But it seems like I had a lot more energy before my surgery. I thought after losing weight i would feel so much better. But I feel worse. I feel tired all the time. I am concerned about my protein. There are only certain things i can eat at this point. Without eating meat what are some good ways to increase my proten intake? I am also having trouble finding calcium citrate in chewable form. Does anyone know where I can find this?

Hello cap,
Great job on your weight loss. Sorry you feel frustrated! I think your energy will return. You are less then a month out. Have you tried adding protein powder to what you are eating? I haven't found calcium citrate in the chewable form either but i did get some at sam's thinking to just crush them until i can swallow them again. Hope this helps and you start feeling better.

Hi welcome to the forum. You will feel better as you completely heal. I understand it takes anywhere from one to three months.
Check out the website newlifebariatricsupplement.com. they have a high quality vitamin supplement in powdered form, which includes your daily calcium needs.
Keep in touch!

thanks me2012,
i'll try some protein powder but not eating much right now oat meal and mash potatoes.I went to wal-green today and got some muscle milk it's got 20 grams of protein and it don't taste that bad.

Capncrunch-Great job on your weight loss:) The reason you are tired is because your body is healing from surgery, your calorie intake is extremely low and you are losing weight. It's normal to be very tired for 2 or 3 months after surgery. Your energy level will increase in a while but you need to make sure you are getting your protein, sleeping enough, taking naps and taking your vitamins and supplements. The chewable calcium citrate that you can buy from the store on this forum tastes great. Whatever you end up make sure it's for bariatric surgery patients and is low carb. There are a lot of products out there that are high in sugar and will make you dump. As for you protein needs the only things I can think of are cottage cheese, eggs and protein powder and pre-made shakes. Again, make sure to buy products that are very low carb.

As always ... Pat's correct ;) I use the Unjury (unjury.com) Chewable Multi Vitamins & Calcium Citrate. They taste good too. I also purchased the Unjury protein powder to start out with, and when on the liquid diet, I drank 2 Isopure drinks a day (40 grams of Protein each) plus protein powder in chicken broth, to get my 100 grams in daily. I now drink 2 Pure Protein protein drinks/shakes at 35 grams of protein each daily plus foods high in protein. Depending on what I eat, I also use the Pure Protein powder at 25 grams of protein daily per scoop. I am now on a regular diet, I eat egg whites, cottage cheese, string cheese, greek yogurt, nuts, veggies, fruits. The Pure Protein products are sold at Walmart & Target stores and are the most reasonable ones I've personally found with the most protein in them. Good Luck!

Hi cap,

My surgeon told me I can crush the calcium citrate. I do this in my mini blender and then add it to my meal.
As for protein: if you're on pureed food, try blending light tuna meat with a few drops of oil and one spoon of fat-free mayo. I also bake Tilapia fillet with some seasoning, blend it later with a spoon of fat-free tartar sauce. Very delicious and high protein.
You can still use your protein shake to boos your protein intake. I take once a day.

I believe this will help you get more energy and get over that feeling of frustration. Hang in there and enjoy your accoplishment

I switched to calcium citrate tabs because the chews are just too expensive for my budget. The chews are absolutely delicious but the trade off is the cost. The tabs are almost tasteless, at least to me, so I chew them up with a small sip of a cold beverage then swallow them with a larger sip of my beverage. Because of the amount I have to take it fills me up so I have to take them when my pouch is totally empty or I get nauseated as if I ate too much.

Here's another thought. Try crusing up the tabs them blend them into a protein shake or smoothie. I'll bet you won't even know they're in there. Don't foget to take you vitamin D3 at the same time as your calcium citrate or else your body won't absorb the calcium properly.

Hi Cap,

You got a lot of great advice here already. I just wanted to add that I felt the same way for the first 3 months after the surgery. I thought that once the pain was gone I should feel fine. But the healing takes a lot longer than I expected. Now I am almost 5 months out, and I feel much better. It is almost like I never had the surgery, except that the weight still keeps coming off, more slowly now that at first, but that is normal too. As your body adjusts to less calories your metabolism adjusts too. It was three months before I had energy to go through a normal day. But once I started to exercise more I started to have more energy. It is a crazy formula, but burning energy begets energy. Just hang in there. I think we all go into this without a clear idea of what the experience is going to be like. You seem to be doing great. Good luck!

Back