• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Gaining weight before surgery

Julianna

I have lost my weight and ready for surgery. I have surgery on March 19, I can feel myself go back to old habits and have gained some weight back. I am trying to lose this before my surgery but it is a struggle. Did anyone go through this? I have done great for 4 months. In the last week I have gained and don't want to have my surgery canceled because of weight gain. Any suggestions.

I have lost my weight and ready for surgery. I have surgery on March 19, I can feel myself go back to old habits and have gained some weight back. I am trying to lose this before my surgery but it is a struggle. Did anyone go through this? I have done great for 4 months. In the last week I have gained and don't want to have my surgery canceled because of weight gain. Any suggestions.

Hi Julianna!!! You might be sabotaging yourself. It's normal to be nervous before surgery. Some people eat when they're nervous, but you must overcome this. Think of all the positive reasons you wanted this weight loss surgery. You only have a little over 3 weeks until surgery. You have worked too hard to give it all up for what? A few sweets and unhealthy food. If you're hungry eat some chicken breast and salad. If you're still hungry eat more salad or some fruit. Don't go back to your old eating habits. You can do this!!! Keep us posted. Good Luck!

Cheyenne

I agree with Cheyenne. You need to commit to your new eating habits, because they continue for LIFE if you plan to be successful. Good LUCK!

Thank you for the encouragement. I don't want to go backwards now. I have started a food journal and attended a support group in my area tonight. I hope this helps to keep myself on tract until my surgery and beyond.

Hello Julianna,

This is precisely why my surgeon put me on a liquid diet for the immediate 14 days before the surgery. I used glucerna, protein shakes and protein drinks during this time. Pure liquid.

I don't understand what has happened to you with respect to the immediate days prior to surgery.

By going liquid and staying under 1200 calories per day, you cleanse your body, you help shrink your liver and get some fatty deposits out of it.

So, I would have hoped to hear you went on to a liquid diet prior to your surgery.

I know others on the forum have been on liquid for different amount of times. I know some have been on mostly liquid but perhaps a light meal such as a salad a little protein.

Go back to your instructions. Wasn't there a period before surgery where you were placed on a liquid restricted diet?

Ralph

Preop questions

Thank you Ralph for your suggestion. I asked last night at my support group about a liquid diet and they state that you only go on a clear liquid diet 24 hours before surgery. I know each program is different and they have different rules. I will be starting having protein drinks and try to keep track of what I am eating. Have more salads with my protein. Thanks for the encouragement from everyone and I will get there and have my surgery. I think my problem is that I need to get selfish and take care of myself and not worry about what everyone else is eating.

I was on the liquid diet for 2 weeks before my surgery and then after til I got to move to phase one - mushy foods.

Journal, journal, journal.

Be accountable.

Stay under 1200 calories no matter what!

www.caloriecount.com is a good site to do all this.

There are also plenty of other apps out there.

I don't have a smart phone so I use the caloriecount site.

Ralph

Thank you Ralph for your suggestion. I asked last night at my support group about a liquid diet and they state that you only go on a clear liquid diet 24 hours before surgery. I know each program is different and they have different rules. I will be starting having protein drinks and try to keep track of what I am eating. Have more salads with my protein. Thanks for the encouragement from everyone and I will get there and have my surgery. I think my problem is that I need to get selfish and take care of myself and not worry about what everyone else is eating.

Welcome and yes you nailed it ! you must take care of you first before you are able to care for others.

Good luck

It sounds like you're getting back on track Julianna! Good for you! It is stressful before surgery, but that food log and group support will be especially helpful after surgery. I know that with my sleeve, I can eat whatever I want....good or bad! Therefore, it's still up to me to make the good choice.

Hi , Im going to do the Bariatric Surgery. I don't know what one is better. The Sleeve Gastrectomy or the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bybass.Can anyone out there help me out please. and by the foods, I do eat the Protein first,then the rest, for snacks, I eat Yoplait Greek, and Kellogg's Special K makes cereal bars and chips. you can eat them instead of the other bad snacks,, but keep the fruit and vegs,in your meals to..I weight goes up and down.. I been trying so hard to get it down.

Thank you ,,Bethlyn70

I went with the Roux-en-Y bypass since you can't cheat. The Sleeve doesn't restrict the types of foods you can eat, so you can still eat all the sugary & deep fried foods that caused the weight gain. Also, the Sleeve can be stretched back out too easily compared to the Roux-en-Y's pouch. Alot of people have great success with the Sleeve, but I choose the most restrictive so I wouldn't be tempted to cheat. As far as food, make sure you aren't drinking ANY soda at all, or booze. Also, make sure to add exercise into the routine, that way you will be able to keep that going after the surgery.

Hi Julianna,

I had the sleeve and I was on a 2 week liquid diet with a small meal for dinner. You are on the right track keep up the good work.

TilleS

Back