• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Glad to be home and have the surgery behind me

Gram24

My Rny was Sept 5th and all went well. I was a model patient day 1 but on day 2 they discovered I was still insulin resistent and my glucose readings were in the 200. I was able to reduce the amount of insulin I was taking down by 2/3. This is still a moving target as I am still healing. Hopefully there will be no need for any additional insulin in the future.

I do have a rather embarrassing question....:confused: I woke up, felt I needed to go to the bathroom but did not make it before losing my bowels. What a mess. Is this just because I am so new from surgery? Will it happen again? Is this dumping? Did I do anything wrong that contributed to the problem?

thanks for any advice, Gram2 4

Hi Gram, I am not a diabetic but I know that with dibetes ther are several things that can trigger higher than normal blood surgars, such as steriods, stress, pain and ilness or in your case major surgery, so it is great that they were able to lower your insulin so just keep a close eye on it so you don't bottom out and pass out, that can be very dangerous:eek: so keep monitoring it. I don't think you have dumping, it happens sometimes, you had just cleaned out you bowels for surgery and the only thing you have had so far is probobly all liquids so things will be loose, I think it happened to me a couple of times after surgry:eek: I don't think it was related to anything you have done. Hang in there it gets better. :cool: Tom

Gram, it happened to me several times. I know it's killing, but it's because we don't have much in our intestines. Things become a bit better with pureed food, so hang in there and enjoy the achievement :)

Back