• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Got the call - June 06, 2012

robergnm

Rec'd the call on Monday, May 21, 2012; date is set for Wednesday, June 6, 2012.
Three more hurdles; a pre-opertive class May 22nd - done; history & physical then pre-admission testing.

Anxiety building but I think it's normal along with excitement.

Best wishes all - Mary from Milwaukee, WI

So happy for you! What kind of pre admission testing do you have to do? I have to have lab work done on the 4th. They said to try and have the testing done 2-3 weeks prior to surgery because they are using labcorp.

What did you learn in the pre-operative class?? Just curious And yes, anxiety is normal with the excitement, as I am feeling that way too, with just under a month to go till surgery.

Gloria

That's wonderful, I am soo excited for you. If you need to vent a little we are all here for you. :cool: Tom

Well had the history & presurg physical Wed & pre admission testing Fri, went to dentist on Mon - just through that in there ... just seemed like a messed up, out of sorts week. It's weird to be leaving work for what seems to a long and yet relatively short period of time. Basicallly the biggies are get moving as soon as possible to prevent blood clots, use the spirometer to avoid pneumonia, also the Pharmacist mentioned getting a pneumonia shot (I'm all for that - was told in the past too young - I'm 46 now) and get home to avoid hospital germs & infections.

I freak out if they put an IV in my hand so ask if they can get it on my arm somewhere, preferably the left one since I dislocated my right shoulder a little over 2 weeks ago - not dislocated now but 33-50% tears in rotator cuff. Was told that I might suggest if they really need to put an IV in my hand to do it once I'm under - ick, ick, ick!!!

Down 17.4 lbs as of Wednesday's appt - a little shocked, didn't think I lost but maybe 3-5 lbs. Trying to eat like I need to post surgery and following the pre-op diet we're given to follow 2 wks prior to surg to reduce our liver size is working.

I'm spending a lot my prep time for food but I know what I'm eating & there's relatively little processed anything with the exception of the turkey sausage which I obviously didnt make - btw they're delicious & I'm not sausage fan. Turkey brats rock; Ger cooked them over mesquite - add mustard & yum, yum!!

Stopped the OTC vitamins day of history & presurg physical.

I'm ready, just need to get a lot of things done at work. Have a PT appt on Friday for my shoulder ... life goes on.

What I'm struggling most with is explaining to my husband, Gerry what I need from him & with him to be supportive.
I think he's a little resentful that I've asked him to keep some things out of the house for now - cookies from Sam's Club, etc.
Seems like he's resentful that there's no red meat; there is hamburger here.
So he went with his buddy out for dinner tonight; I'm hurt and a little resentful.

I've agreed to cook the meals & we add other stuff for him, sides w/starches, etc.

He likes to go out for steak like once a week - I'm not one who wants to do that - even before the surgery becoming a reality.
He's had fast food a couple of times this week, too.

Then he got a little upset about the cost of the groceries last week but it will take us through the surg date & thereafter with the puree, too.
When you figure you're not getting fast food or eating out, tax & tip - it's at least the same or cheaper & goodness knows it's a lot healthier.
PLUS this is what I NEED/MUST to to aid the surgeon in the best of possible outcomes.

Am I out of line to be ticked/hurt that I don't feel it's supportive - the timing mainly, I'm a little scared & it would be nice for him to spend the time we're not working w/me.

I'm finding out that I'm more tired than normal - not sure why. Also have a flaming yeast infection - anyone else?
Maybe the diet & stress is causing it?

1:12 am Sun morning & he's still not back from 6:30 pm dinner reservations I made for hi & his buddy.

Well thanks for listening so to speak & letting me vent.
I think this is more emotionally than physical or otherwise. This is going to be a challenge but others have done it long-term, I can, too.
I'm doing this for ME, not anyone else, not to get pregnant or for a specific event, for long term health & happiness & to be around for me & others.

Best wishes as well to everyone with your journey, decisions and outcomes. ~~ Mary

Mary, my husband doesn't eat out very much, he is one to rather have me cook him healthy dinners which include grilled meats, steamed veggies and a side. It's the rest of the family that has a hard time dealing with my needs. There is too much junk in the house, and I manage to stay away from most of it though. My husband isnt a real big snacker....he does have a stash of goodies but they are specifically for his lunch, so I never get into them. Usually my grandkids always have M&M's in the house, and I tend to get into those, but trying really hard not to. I really don't care about eating chips and stuff. I am more of a carb junkie, so sometimes it's hard to stay away from bread or potatoes.

As far as the yeast infection, I am not experiencing that, not sure about anyone else. I am also more tired than usual, but I think it was the change in the diet since my family moved in with us. You can pm anytime you need to vent.

Drum roll please...Good luck Mary! My only recommendation from being so new myself is just not to rush things afterwards. I have lived by that and have had a great experience so far. You will do great!

-Lester

Back