• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Greek spinich pie (no crust)

Pat99

Greek spinach pie (no crust)

I made this yesterday and it was delicious. It's very filling and has a fair amount of protein. I didn't break down the nutritional value exactly because of possible substitutions and portion size. If you follow the recipe, 1/10 of the pie has approximately 125 calories, 11 grams protein, 6 grams fat and 5 grams carbs. Tastes better the next day either warm or cold. Can be frozen for later use.

GREEK SPINACH PIE (NO CRUST)

INGREDIENTS:
1 lb. frozen chopped spinach
2 cups low fat cottage cheese
1 cup feta cheese-crumbled
2 large eggs
8 medium green onions
2 medium cloves garlic very thinly sliced or chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup dried parsley flakes or 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
1 tablespoon olive oil or other oil of your choice
1/2 cup water
Salt and pepper

METHOD:
On stovetop, heat spinach in Dutch oven until thawed and heated through. Drain thoroughly using colander in sink. Use potato masher or press saucer against spinach to smash out all liquid. The drier the spinach the better the pie will slice.

Slice green onions into 1/4 inch rings using both white and tender green parts. Place oil, water, dash of salt, garlic and onions into same Dutch oven that was used for spinach. Cover and sweat onions until soft but not brown. Remove cover and allow all water to evaporate.

Return drained spinach into Dutch oven with onions and mix well with generous amount of pepper (to taste), 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool slightly while doing next step.

In seperate bowl, mix cottage cheese, feta cheese crumbles, parsley and pepper to taste. Add 2 slightly beaten eggs and mix well into cheese mixture. Add this to cooled spinach, garlic and onions in the Dutch oven and mix well. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed.

Spray large glass pie plate with “Pam”. Add spinach and cheese mixture to pie plate and press firmly in place with back of serving spoon. Cover with “no stick” foil and bake at 350 degrees on center rack for 40 minutes. Allow to cool at least 20 minutes before cutting into wedges.

Last edited:
I modified the recipe just now. I forgot the garlic! That's what I get for not using recipies when I cook *LOL* I came up with this on the spur of the moment and didn't write the recipe down until the next day which makes it easy to forget something.

Pat, it sounds delicious, does the spinach have to be frozen?? can you use canned at all?? just curious, I want to get the stuff to make some, can't wait to try it

Nana-I suppose you could use canned spinach but I never tasted canned so I don't know how good it tastes or how much to use. You could definately use fresh spinach too but would need to adjust the amount to come close to 1 pound of frozen spinach due to trimming stems, etc. After all, part of the fun of cooking is to adjust recipes to suit your own preferences :)

The amount of garlic is 2 medium cloves very thinly sliced or chopped. I think crushing the garlic would make it too overpowering. There isn't a lot of seasoning involved here so the amounts I have shown in the recipe seemed to be perfect (for my taste) especially left over for the next day or two. I didn't show a quantity for pepper since the flavor and intensity varies so much from brand to brand but I think I used about 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon total. I never use recipies when I cook so it's difficult for me to write one exactly how I made something. I did revise the recipe to show the garlic so if you print it out everything is in there now.

I made this earlier this afternnon and just had it for dinner and if I have to say so myself it was delicious!!! I had about 1/2 cup of extra lean diced ham that needed to be used so I tossed that in. I can't wait until tomorrow for leftovers. I think it tastes even better the next day, hot or cold :) :) :)

Hay Pat this sounds good;I was thinking it would be fun using a cup cake pan to make single serving size's. It's a little time consuming but would look good on a plate with a little green saled on the side. You could freeze a few and pull one out to put in your lunch bag for lunch.

Peggy-that is a good idea and I was actually going to suggest using cup cake pans when I posted the recipe. I guess great minds think alike:)

I was running around all day Wednesday and didn't get home until almost 9 PM, plus it was an aggrevating day at that! By the time I fed the critters, put the groceries away, made a couple of phone calls and finally had a minute to relax I realized I had leftover spinach pie in the fridge. I decided to wait until Thursday to have it for breakfast or lunch. It is so good left over that I never worry about it going to waste. I can eat it every day until it is gone. If you make it let me know if you like it.

I made this again 2 days ago and have been eating it every day. It's so good and isn't that difficult to make. This would make a good work lunch instead of a sandwich.

This sounds amazing Pat. Can't wait to try it, and I love Peggygoforth's idea with the cup cake pan. I've quit eating flour of any kind and am always looking for something new to try, especially something I can take to work. Thanks for the recipe.

Oh Pat,

This sounds wonderful. They told me to avoid spinach in my nutrition class. I know I do have problems with fresh spinach but am wondering if I could eat this one. They said it tends to block off the lap band opening but I'd like to try it anyway. When I go back next month I will ask them about it or I could call the nutritionist and check with her.

Joy

Javajoy-You bring up a good point. Spinach can be a bit stringy so I can see how it might present a problem with a lap band and even after a gastric bypass if eaten before the meal plan allows it. I use frozen cut spincah and I also use a pair of kitchen scissors to "chop" it up into finer pieces and to help break down any strigs from the stems. And of course you have to chew, chew and chew some more :) I have come up with a few changes to the recipe since I posted it but I don't want to change the recipe since it works well as it is. I have to warn everyone that this is a very addictive recipe. If you really like it you can make 2 and put one in the freezer after cutting it in wedges. I ahve bee know to grab a frozen piece and take it with me on the road. It tastes good cold and the flavor improves when there are leftovers :) I now thaw my spinach in a colander under running water and press out the excess water instead of pre-cooking it. The spinach cooks enough during the baking process and looks a brighter green. After thawing in the colendar is when I use my scissors to finely chop it up and break down the strings. I also doubled the eggs to 4 the last time I made it to increase the protein. Using 4 eggs makes it looks eggy but the taste is the same. You can vary the amount of cheese and also use different cheeses if you have a personal favorite but using the cottage cheese and feta makes it taste like traditional Greek spinach pie :) One time I had some extra grated mozerella and put it on top for the last 10 or 15 minutes of baking.

Absolutely delicous!!!

Hi Pat99- I made the spinach pie for dinner yesterday and it was wonderful!! The whole family enjoyed it...thanks so much for sharing I put the Cauliflower mac and cheese without the mac under recipes. Have a great day :eek: Time 4 me

Back