• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

GREETINGS FROM SEATTLE

Hi everyone I know and greetings to all the people who don't know who the heck I am. If you're curious, just do a forum search with my username.

I want to update you and make an announcement.

Personally, I have been experiencing extreme physical and emotional pain for the last few weeks. I am very much standing on shifting sand every day. My son is out of my life after having a mental collapse a few weeks ago. There is nothing I can say to him and his personally destructive actions are cloaked by his denial. People who know me know how much I adore him and how much it hurts not to be in his life anymore. Let me say, supportively, that if a person goes nuts, becomes delusional, sleeps in his car so he can avoid you, it doesn't have to have anything to do with anything you said. You might just say, Wanna order a pizza? and that comment will be taken and twisted like a coat hanger until it bears no resemblance to the truth. I know in my experience when people have said something about a conflict, I doggedly searched for the actual reason behind it, assuming that it had to be a flaw in the relationship. But I know now that things can fall apart without you doing a thing to cause it or contribute to it.

I don't want to go into detail about it except to say he has antisocial personality disorder, as did his father. These people used to be called sociopaths, but that's too hard a term for society to understand, so this new name and the same diagnostic criteria were developed in the DSM-IV. If he doesn't come to understand this and get help, there is no hope for him.

Personally, I'm having a hard time not wishing I was dead. But I reach out for help, to the crisis line, the Warm Line, 211, my social worker, and am now shopping for a therapist who can help me work on myself, healing myself from PTSD and other complicated factors. I hope I win.

When stuff like this happens, it affects your friendships and family relationships. Especially when a charming, charismatic sociopath is at the wheel, the only conclusion people can make is that you must have done something to set him off. Well, I didn't. He was a time bomb and suddenly he went off.

His collapse also collapsed all my plans for moving into a house with two bedrooms and getting back to my writing and reclaiming my life. I feel empty & confused and because I don't know what to do, I just mostly stay in bed. Guidance will come in time, but for right now, I am not going to be hard on myself.

But if that wasn't bad enough, a week ago I fell off a sidewalk into a bike lane in downtown Seattle. The city is revising bus stops and in its wisdom, decided it would be a great idea to meld bikes with rapid transit. I probably wouldn't care but what they did was they rebuilt the sidewalk so that right in the middle, suddenly, there's a five- or six-inch deep excavation with symbols of a bicycle painted on. These lanes are about five feet wide, then the sidewalk begins again. Well, if you don't know the drop-off is there and you step off the bus and take a few steps toward the building you're visiting, there is no barrier to keep you from falling off. We have a streetcar in seattle that has a barrier made of metal ropes, that keep you from stepping into the street instead of following a ramp farther away.

So I stepped off the bus and took a few steps, looking up at the number on the building so I'd know which direction to walk. The next thing I know, I was falling, into what, I didn't know. I laid there and felt the searing pain in my left arm along with all the scrapes and future bruises all over my body. I rolled over onto my back and then sat up. I was in pain and embarrassed, and people were rushing to help me. I said I was fine, but finally allowed two people to lift me by my arms to a standing position. I grabbed my left wrist with my right hand and held it close to my body, assuming I had sprained it in the fall. I went on with my business so no one would call an ambulance, since I knew that would be next.

The pain was unbelievable. Once I let go of my wrist and my arm shifted, it felt like someone was taking a knife to my arm. Everyone was kind and let me finish my errand, then I got back on the bus, thinking I'd go home. But the pain got worse and worse. I bypassed my bus stop & went on to the stop outside an emergency care facility where I finally let go and started crying in the exam room. I knew it wasn't a sprain. But I wanted it to be a sprain. I just couldn't have one more thing go wrong in my life, when I was supposed to find a house with one bedroom, just for me, get my stuff out of storage, get my son's junk out of my apartment when he'd been living for the last month. I didn't want my life to stop. I was paying $100 a month for storage. I moved a lot of my stuff out so he could move all his stuff into my apartment during the (hopefully) short time we'd be waiting to get into a 2br house.

Anyway, long story longer, i broke my wrist and my forearm in four places. after the initial visit, I was referred to a hand surgeon, who I already knew from an injury a few years ago. She took more films which gave a slightly different degree of damage. I'm going back monday to have a custom splint/brace made so my arm grows back together right. But it's going to be useless for at least six weeks, and so far, it seems more painful every day.

My support group is nervous about what's going on with my kid, trying to be diplomatic about it. In other words, they think I'm tough enough to take it, so they're not supporting me, even though I am the victim. And if you asked what I was the victim of, it would be domestic abuse--not hitting or beating, but the most unbelievable mental cruelty imaginable, especially given our mother-son relationship, which has been the envy of everyone we know who has a mother or a son.

I feel dead. But here's an important message for anyone who's relating to this personally: this horror is temporary.

It will pass.

I will feel more normal as time goes by and if I get the right kind of help, I'll live a good life. But right now I'm maudlin and morbid and deeply hurt and there is still a lot of cruelty from the other side and his confederates, who are supposed to be my friends. He's cuter and more charming than me and it's much more popular to take his side, which is a story so delusional I can't believe people don't see through it.

I won't fight that battle. I surrender. I am going to back up and take a new path that includes taking care of me. That's actually why I'm writing today. I know this group has been spammed like crazy. I still got emails even though I didn't have to sign in & come here in person. I did write to Kevin, though, and asked him to ban this or that person. You ended up having at least 3 of these robots who were killing the group. If anyone here didn't get the message, you can put anyone on ignore & you'll never see another post from them. Click on your profile photo and then on your name, and you'll be taken to a drop-down menu with an Ignore feature. USE IT. This is the best group around, imo.

As a point of information, I am starting a yahoo group for bariatric surgery patients, but it will be much different than this one. When it's ready to share, I'll send a link.

My hand is killing me so I'm off now. If you reply to this and you're one of my old buds, update me, especially with the number of pounds you've lost!

love
diane

Hi everyone I know and greetings to all the people who don't know who the heck I am. If you're curious, just do a forum search with my username.

Personally, I have been experiencing extreme physical and emotional pain for the last few weeks. I am very much standing on shifting sand every day. My son is out of my life after having a mental collapse a few weeks ago. There is nothing I can say to him and his personally destructive actions are cloaked by his denial. People who know me know how much I adore him and how much it hurts not to be in his life anymore. Let me say, supportively, that if a person goes nuts, becomes delusional, sleeps in his car so he can avoid you, it doesn't have to have anything to do with anything you said. You might just say, Wanna order a pizza? and that comment will be taken and twisted like a coat hanger until it bears no resemblance to the truth. I know in my experience when people have said something about a conflict, I doggedly searched for the actual reason behind it, assuming that it had to be a flaw in the relationship. But I know now that things can fall apart without you doing a thing to cause it or contribute to it.

I don't want to go into detail about it except to say he has antisocial personality disorder, as did his father. These people used to be called sociopaths, but that's too hard a term for society to understand, so this new name and the same diagnostic criteria were developed in the DSM-IV. If he doesn't come to understand this and get help, there is no hope for him.

Personally, I'm having a hard time not wishing I was dead. But I reach out for help, to the crisis line, the Warm Line, 211, my social worker, and am now shopping for a therapist who can help me work on myself, healing myself from PTSD and other complicated factors. I hope I win.

When stuff like this happens, it affects your friendships and family relationships. Especially when a charming, charismatic sociopath is at the wheel, the only conclusion people can make is that you must have done something to set him off. Well, I didn't. He was a time bomb and suddenly he went off.

His collapse also collapsed all my plans for moving into a house with two bedrooms and getting back to my writing and reclaiming my life. I feel empty & confused and because I don't know what to do, I just mostly stay in bed. Guidance will come in time, but for right now, I am not going to be hard on myself.

But if that wasn't bad enough, a week ago I fell off a sidewalk into a bike lane in downtown Seattle. The city is revising bus stops and in its wisdom, decided it would be a great idea to meld bikes with rapid transit. I probably wouldn't care but what they did was they rebuilt the sidewalk so that right in the middle, suddenly, there's a five- or six-inch deep excavation with symbols of a bicycle painted on. These lanes are about five feet wide, then the sidewalk begins again. Well, if you don't know the drop-off is there and you step off the bus and take a few steps toward the building you're visiting, there is no barrier to keep you from falling off. We have a streetcar in seattle that has a barrier made of metal ropes, that keep you from stepping into the street instead of following a ramp farther away.

So I stepped off the bus and took a few steps, looking up at the number on the building so I'd know which direction to walk. The next thing I know, I was falling, into what, I didn't know. I laid there and felt the searing pain in my left arm along with all the scrapes and future bruises all over my body. I rolled over onto my back and then sat up. I was in pain and embarrassed, and people were rushing to help me. I said I was fine, but finally allowed two people to lift me by my arms to a standing position. I grabbed my left wrist with my right hand and held it close to my body, assuming I had sprained it in the fall. I went on with my business so no one would call an ambulance, since I knew that would be next.

The pain was unbelievable. Once I let go of my wrist and my arm shifted, it felt like someone was taking a knife to my arm. Everyone was kind and let me finish my errand, then I got back on the bus, thinking I'd go home. But the pain got worse and worse. I bypassed my bus stop & went on to the stop outside an emergency care facility where I finally let go and started crying in the exam room. I knew it wasn't a sprain. But I wanted it to be a sprain. I just couldn't have one more thing go wrong in my life, when I was supposed to find a house with one bedroom, just for me, get my stuff out of storage, get my son's junk out of my apartment when he'd been living for the last month. I didn't want my life to stop. I was paying $100 a month for storage. I moved a lot of my stuff out so he could move all his stuff into my apartment during the (hopefully) short time we'd be waiting to get into a 2br house.

Anyway, long story longer, i broke my wrist and my forearm in four places. after the initial visit, I was referred to a hand surgeon, who I already knew from an injury a few years ago. She took more films which gave a slightly different degree of damage. I'm going back monday to have a custom splint/brace made so my arm grows back together right. But it's going to be useless for at least six weeks, and so far, it seems more painful every day.

My support group is nervous about what's going on with my kid, trying to be diplomatic about it. In other words, they think I'm tough enough to take it, so they're not supporting me, even though I am the victim. And if you asked what I was the victim of, it would be domestic abuse--not hitting or beating, but the most unbelievable mental cruelty imaginable, especially given our mother-son relationship, which has been the envy of everyone we know who has a mother or a son.

I feel dead. But here's an important message for anyone who's relating to this personally: this horror is temporary.

It will pass.

I will feel more normal as time goes by and if I get the right kind of help, I'll live a good life. But right now I'm maudlin and morbid and deeply hurt and there is still a lot of cruelty from the other side and his confederates, who are supposed to be my friends. He's cuter and more charming than me and it's much more popular to take his side, which is a story so delusional I can't believe people don't see through it.

I won't fight that battle. I surrender. I am going to back up and take a new path that includes taking care of me. That's actually why I'm writing today. I know this group has been spammed like crazy. I still got emails even though I didn't have to sign in & come here in person. I did write to Kevin, though, and asked him to ban this or that person. You ended up having at least 3 of these robots who were killing the group. If anyone here didn't get the message, you can put anyone on ignore & you'll never see another post from them. Click on your profile photo and then on your name, and you'll be taken to a drop-down menu with an Ignore feature. USE IT. This is the best group around, imo.

As a point of information, I am starting a yahoo group for bariatric surgery patients, but it will be much different than this one. When it's ready to share, I'll send a link.

My hand is killing me so I'm off now. If you reply to this and you're one of my old buds, update me, especially with the number of pounds you've lost!

love
diane
Great to see you Diane but I'm so sorry to hear of your recent struggles. I wish I had some profound advice to give but all I have is an ear to listen. I'm sure everyone will be so happy to hear from you. Definitely keep me updated on the Yahoo group, I'm very interested to hear what you have in mind. Wishing you the strength to pull out of the darkness. :)

brenda! 116 pounds? oh, girl, i remember when it was 20 and you were so excited. and now you've bested me by one pound! i have occasionally seen references in your posts to cosmetic surgery. is that happening? i have to ask: are scars preferable to waving, flapping flesh? i considered it in one part of my body by surgeons didn't think i was hanging down enough to need a panniculectomy. that's a horrible, painful surgery that goes from one pelvic bone to the others. it's hell to heal and the healing time is long. but i still want it. i see that you and our core members of 2019 have been anchoring this group. that is so wonderful. i hope everyone here appreciates that.

i need to write a "welcome" message to prospects informing them of my group guidelines. people will have to read it & paraphrase it back to me before they are accepted. but it should be a fun group and there will be very few restrictions on content. it kills me to type with my broken wrist/hand so that will take a while. but one thing i've learned here is that you just cannot get enough support. we are the wave of the future and the information we share is like gold.

and i appreciate the affection i always feel here. since the debacle, i find i really need my friends, and there is no more necessary group than the people who understand what it's like to reclaim your life.

take a lot of pictures and show others how it happens, step by step.

thanks, kid and congratulations. {{{{{HUGE HUG}}}}}

Hello my friend! Like Brenda I would be interested in your new forum when it's time. I know some of the pain you are going thru as my son had a similar break down when he was 14 which carried to his adult life. My faith is in you to pull out of this. I am a ear and a heart that cares. Love you..

It will pass.

love
diane

brenda! 116 pounds? oh, girl, i remember when it was 20 and you were so excited. and now you've bested me by one pound! i have occasionally seen references in your posts to cosmetic surgery. is that happening? i have to ask: are scars preferable to waving, flapping flesh? i considered it in one part of my body by surgeons didn't think i was hanging down enough to need a panniculectomy. that's a horrible, painful surgery that goes from one pelvic bone to the others. it's hell to heal and the healing time is long. but i still want it. i see that you and our core members of 2019 have been anchoring this group. that is so wonderful. i hope everyone here appreciates that.

i need to write a "welcome" message to prospects informing them of my group guidelines. people will have to read it & paraphrase it back to me before they are accepted. but it should be a fun group and there will be very few restrictions on content. it kills me to type with my broken wrist/hand so that will take a while. but one thing i've learned here is that you just cannot get enough support. we are the wave of the future and the information we share is like gold.

and i appreciate the affection i always feel here. since the debacle, i find i really need my friends, and there is no more necessary group than the people who understand what it's like to reclaim your life.

take a lot of pictures and show others how it happens, step by step.

thanks, kid and congratulations. {{{{{HUGE HUG}}}}}
Thanks Diane! My weight has stabilized, been up and down the same pound the last 6 weeks so it seems this is the weight my body wants to stay at. I'll never be "thin" but I've made my peace with that. I'm a curvy girl and am learning to love that about myself. And I can maintain this weight without too much more sacrifice. I posted my first full-body "after" yesterday but you probably didn't see it.

Regarding the reconstructive plastics... yes, I did a ton of research and decided that the scarring, pain, financial sacrifice and lengthily healing process is worth it for me. Psychologically, I need to be free of this hanging, lumpy, stretched out flesh to feel like this journey is complete. The surgeon estimates that I have about 10 pounds of this unwanted tissue so that's a bonus too. Deposit is down and my surgery is on Feb 4th. :)

And yes, since you took a break, I felt that I needed to step up as you had for so many and become more vocal in the group. :) It's been very rewarding and has helped me in so many ways. I love what this group does for people. I really look forward to your new one.

It will pass.

love
diane
Diane! I was so happy to see you are back, but I’m so sorry to hear of your troubles. Looking forward to hearing more from you, take it easy and be kind to yourself xx

Diane, I feel your pain. My wife has mental health issues, and it is hard for others to see what we deal with every day (one son is living at home, and he sees what I see, and has been supportive. Another son hasn't lived at home for 10 years, and thinks we are making it all up.). The people on this forum will be here for you, and though we don't know what your specifics are (and don't need to know them), we will listen and support you as you go on this journey.

Thanks Diane! My weight has stabilized, been up and down the same pound the last 6 weeks so it seems this is the weight my body wants to stay at. I'll never be "thin" but I've made my peace with that. I'm a curvy girl and am learning to love that about myself. And I can maintain this weight without too much more sacrifice. I posted my first full-body "after" yesterday but you probably didn't see it.

Regarding the reconstructive plastics... yes, I did a ton of research and decided that the scarring, pain, financial sacrifice and lengthily healing process is worth it for me. Psychologically, I need to be free of this hanging, lumpy, stretched out flesh to feel like this journey is complete. The surgeon estimates that I have about 10 pounds of this unwanted tissue so that's a bonus too. Deposit is down and my surgery is on Feb 4th. :)

And yes, since you took a break, I felt that I needed to step up as you had for so many and become more vocal in the group. :) It's been very rewarding and has helped me in so many ways. I love what this group does for people. I really look forward to your new one.
Good luck with your surgery ! I’m sure it will be worth it

Oh Diane, I am so sorry to hear all this about your son. I will be trying to send positive vibes for his healing as well as yours.
You poor thing, I cannot believe you broke your arm/wrist in four places. That must be so very painful. I hope that the healing goes smoothly and quickly.

Brenda has been awesome since you took time off from the group. It was a good feeling to see how she handled it so well.
I think we all were so used to going to you for advice and wondered what might happen to the group.
So glad it has stayed together and gotten so many new members.

I am three and a half months out and down forty pounds total. I am at 156.2 and I had not been below 160 lbs in more than twenty years. It's a good feeling and I am walking 4-5 miles 5-6 days a week.

Sadly I am not curvy as Brenda says. LOL My last measurements there was only 4 inches difference between my hips and my waist. I guess that is the typical diabetic figure. But to say that I am happy and feel so much better is an understatement.

Keep us updated on the Yahoo site.

Oh Diane, I am so sorry to hear all this about your son. I will be trying to send positive vibes for his healing as well as yours.
You poor thing, I cannot believe you broke your arm/wrist in four places. That must be so very painful. I hope that the healing goes smoothly and quickly.

Brenda has been awesome since you took time off from the group. It was a good feeling to see how she handled it so well.
I think we all were so used to going to you for advice and wondered what might happen to the group.

I am three and a half months out and down forty pounds total. I am at 156.2 and I had not been below 160 lbs in more than twenty years. It's a good feeling and I am walking 4-5 miles 5-6 days a week.

Sadly I am not curvy as Brenda says. LOL My last measurements there was only 4 inches difference between my hips and my waist. I guess that is the typical diabetic figure. But to say that I am happy and feel so much better is an understatement.

Wow, 156??? Congratulations girlie!!! Amazing job. :)

We need to see a recent pic when you can!!! I'm sure the transformation is shocking. :)

Diane, I feel your pain. My wife has mental health issues, and it is hard for others to see what we deal with every day (one son is living at home, and he sees what I see, and has been supportive. Another son hasn't lived at home for 10 years, and thinks we are making it all up.). The people on this forum will be here for you, and though we don't know what your specifics are (and don't need to know them), we will listen and support you as you go on this journey.
Well said and people here are rooting for you Diane

yes but you can see now that that was just an illusion.. It's a true support group. Think of a table with four legs. If one leg breaks it still stands up and before you know it it has another leg. And Brenda is absolutely wonderful but she's only as good as people who are brave enough to ask. You guys can give just as much power just as many gifts to give to the new.

So glad it has stayed together and gotten so many new mem

Yeah! There's the proof​

What is your goal weight?​

Well your new picture is as cute as a bug's ears. Doesn't that feel good?​

It will pass.

love
diane

Welcome back, Diane! It is so good to hear from you. My heart is breaking at the news of your family and personal situation. Coming from someone who has volunteered for the crisis line, thank you for reaching out and knowing you had somewhere to go for help. The crisis line and warm lines are an amazing tool and I am so proud of you for going even further and doing what you need to do in order to become whole again. Because no matter what people say, a situation like this leaves you empty, like there is a hole that just keeps letting your emotions, feelings, and hopes drain out. But you are taking the steps to stop the flow and regain your mental well being. It is a hard journey, but I have faith that you will come through it.

I am truly sorry to hear the writing has been pushed back again. I hope you get to a place where you want to write again. Your words are inspiring and I hate to think that others are missing out on that piece of you. You have a lot of wisdom and warmth to share with the world. We will all be here for it when you are ready to start again. :)

Since you were last on, I have had my surgery and I'm not 10 weeks out! I was a best case scenario :) No issues except a couple of mental breakdowns from the routine of it all. I lost 50 lbs prior to surgery and now 30 since for a total of 80! I run 3 miles a day, five days a week and absolutely love the person I am retraining myself to be. I just went through my jar of non-scale victories I want to achieve and realized I had achieved 6 more (total of 9 so far)! It felt great to look at them and see what I am accomplishing.

Just remember, we are here for you when you need us! Good luck with everything and please don't type too much and aggravate your wrist more than necessary! Remember you need time to heal :)

Since you were last on, I have had my surgery and I'm not 10 weeks out! I was a best case scenario :) No issues except a couple of mental breakdowns from the routine of it all. I lost 50 lbs prior to surgery and now 30 since for a total of 80! I run 3 miles a day, five days a week and absolutely love the person I am retraining myself to be. I just went through my jar of non-scale victories I want to achieve and realized I had achieved 6 more (total of 9 so far)! It felt great to look at them and see what I am accomplishing.
Wow miss, you're the classic overachiever! I'm thrilled for you. :)

Back