• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Had my surgery on Friday! All that fuss for months and now it's all over.

fuww57

I was supposed to have my surgery in June. In fact, I was already on the o.r. table when the anesthesiologist has issues and wouldn't allow the surgery to go on. My cardiologist, who felt I was perfectly fine, put me another medication and I now passed the acid test and was rescheduled. Better safe than sorry, eh? So doing the 2 day liquid fast wasn't so bad even if it was for the second time. The o.r. was not ice cold this time, so that was better. All I remember is the anesthesiologist placed a breathing mask on my face and 2 seconds later I was waking up in recovery. First hour was bad(but root canal is worse). I was burping to get the gas out and that helped a lot (plus the push-button Percocet). I was kept in recovery until the evening because my pulse and blood pressure were high but nothing scary. I was in my room by 8:00 and was up and walking around the floor by 9:00 pm. The hospital staff was thrilled how quickly I rebounded. Never experienced nausea or pain (just some soreness). I tolerated all of the food I ate, although I did have to learn to eat S-L-O-W-L-Y. Frequency of walks increased the next day. Surgeon said I probably would go home Sunday night but they were still dealing with my blood pressure and pulse. Cardiologist was called who increased my meds and that did the trick. So I was discharged Monday a.m. which was fine with me because the extra night in the hospital bed made for a more comfortable sleep. So, now I'm home and people can't believe that I'm up and about instead of bed ridden. Tried a protein shake and that went down fine. Now onward and upward!

I had the sleeve gastrectomy as well in May. What is a shave? I did have pain in one area following the surgery and it continued when I got home. The liquid Lortab helped and I took it for a couple of weeks. I'm really glad I had the surgery. My weight loss is a little slow, but it is moving down. There is no way I've ever lost this much and continued to lose with any diet.

I'm glad you are doing well and wish you the best.

What is a shave?
They shaved the hair on my belly. I guess this is more of a man thing. LOL Only problem I've had was getting the runs about an hour after drinking the protein shake. I got the Lactaid chewable tablets and take one right before I start drinking and that seems to work. I don't have a problem with any other kind of dairy I eat so I didn't want to have to start buying Lactaid milk.

Back