• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Had no idea the surgery would be so painful

LDM

Hi all, my RNY bypass surgery was Wednesday, June 3. The one thing I wish I would have know going into it was how much pain I was going to be in immediately afterward. I have had several abdominal surgeries and have gone through the usual and expected pain associated with these surgeries. My God, did I hurt after this one. Once I found the happy button to the PCA, it was much better, but for the first 4 days, I had much more pain than I was anticipating. Today I am just "sore" so maybe I have turned the corner. I would still go through it all again and knowing it would be painful wouldn't have kept me from the surgery, it would have just helped me to mentally prepare for it. I am definitely feeling fairly miserable right now but I know that with each passing day, things will improve. Any advice on eating, activites, etc that anyone wishes to share with me would really be appreciated.

Hi all, my RNY bypass surgery was Wednesday, June 3. The one thing I wish I would have know going into it was how much pain I was going to be in immediately afterward. I have had several abdominal surgeries and have gone through the usual and expected pain associated with these surgeries. My God, did I hurt after this one. Once I found the happy button to the PCA, it was much better, but for the first 4 days, I had much more pain than I was anticipating. Today I am just "sore" so maybe I have turned the corner. I would still go through it all again and knowing it would be painful wouldn't have kept me from the surgery, it would have just helped me to mentally prepare for it. I am definitely feeling fairly miserable right now but I know that with each passing day, things will improve. Any advice on eating, activites, etc that anyone wishes to share with me would really be appreciated.
Did you have an open procedure? Did you have RYGB?

i had a laparoscopic RYGB
As Taxman already said, one's pain threshold is always a factor to consider. You seem to be talking about post-laparoscopic pain. Is that right? I have actually never heard anyone complain extensively about the pain after the laparoscopic procedure.

So I'm wondering if the problem you experienced was related to carbon dioxide gas they pumped into your body. I know from experience in another laparoscopic procedure that as the gas tried to find its way out of my body it just brutally pushed through my muscles and literally, your skin. Some people find it excruciating. It might even be worse than the surgery itself.

I really think it is past time for this issue to be dealt with in all kinds of laparoscopic surgeries. Everyone who has laparoscopic surgery where gas is used to inflate the area has this pain and it is not necessary. I can't see any reason why the gas can't be allowed to escape through the incision before it is stitched up. Even if it has already seeped into some of the musculature of your body, there is still a lot of gas in the operative area. If there wasn't, the surgeon would not be able to maneuver.

But why should people have to suffer from this? If something goes in, it can come out. I just do not understand why a doctor would inflate you like a balloon and then not allow you to deflate before sealing up the only exit the gas can find to escape, forcing it to push its way through your pores and muscles and skin, which causes an incredible amount of pain. You're just uncomfortable for days.

Is there anyone here who is pre-op, who is willing to ask the surgeon at your next appointment whether or not it is possible to suction out the gas before the incisions are closed? If you could ask this question and report back to us, it would be really helpful. We need as much information as we can get here so we can help as many people as come here.

I think it is the right time to ask this question, don't you?

I guess we all are surprise with the amount of pain. My shoulder hurt so bad,they said it was gas.I had my surgery on June 2 .I was so uncomfortable in the hospital ,I feel better at home.Is anyone constipated ? I took milk of magnesia as they told me,not working.
Drink water, drink water and then drink more water. Now that you've finally drank 1/8th of what you should be drinking, drink some more. It seriously makes a huge difference in bowel function.

I guess we all are surprise with the amount of pain. My shoulder hurt so bad,they said it was gas.I had my surgery on June 2 .I was so uncomfortable in the hospital ,I feel better at home.Is anyone constipated ? I took milk of magnesia as they told me,not working.
Take a fiber laxative with water immediately. Then drink a lot of water. But take that fiber laxative! You will so regret it if you don't. When that backed up stool turns into something is hard as a brick and as big as a presto log you are not going to be able to get it out of your body very easily. There are actually people who have to go to the hospital to have their bowel disimpacted because of this kind of stuff. Take the laxatives. Don't take the pill laxative take a natural laxatives with psyllium.

It took me an entire day to get backed up stool out of my body. I mean 24 hours of constant straining and pushing and digging to try to get it out of my anus. It was too big and too hard and it was the worst thing I had to face after weight loss surgery. Take. The. Fiber. Laxative!

It doesn't matter how healthy you are or how easily you move your bowels usually. This is going to mess you up because you aren't eating vegetables. Vegetables have fiber necessary to make your bowels work. Nothing else does.

Sometimes it just takes a little stimulation to re-awake your bowels. I used a dulcolax suppository and while my first product wasn't much more than mucus, later in the day I had a bonafide BM. It is also incredibly important to stay hydrated for proper bowel function. Right now, us newbies are not getting any fiber in our diet and the protein shakes seem to add to the constipation.

Last year when I had my knee replaced my surgeon instructed me to take a Dulcolax capsule twice a day with a full glass of water everyday that I took pain pills. That was exactly what I needed to stay very comfortable. As I recall, I started that regimen in the hospital.

The constipation is the worse lol. I do miralax 2-3 times a day, smooth move tea helps, I've done ex-lax too. Milk of magnesia makes me want to vomit. Drink lots of water and walk a lot!

I am happy to report that on day 6, I feel pretty normal. I walked 6 blocks to one of our rental properties, puttered around a few minutes, and walked back home. I went slow, but I felt amazing once I cooled down (Dallas is really hot this time of year). I thank all of you who put up with my post op whining. I just had never experienced that level of pain after a surgery and it took my by surprise.

As Badgy mentioned in your other thread, it will get better and you will not regret it. I am sorry you're feeling so bad right now. I think most of us can relate to post-op pain and what you're going through.

But congratulations on your journey. You are now a warrior and you have done a huge service to yourself. You will know it later, when you feel better, but it is so good that you have come here and opened up. That bodes well for your recovery.

Welcome to Your recovery support group. We are glad to have you here.

I just had my surgery on the 19th. This surgery was my 14th surgery and a majority of them have been laparoscopic and I will definitely state that the pain was very intense and a lot more than I expected. I honestly have only had one other incident where I was in more pain than that and it was because I didn't have pain med while during a medical procedure because there was not time. I was not given a PCA after surgery and was in pain until I left the hospital due to the fact that I could not get the pain under control while there. When I went home I was able to take my pain medications with in safe limits in a better manner to control my pain. I understand what you are saying though no one warned me that it hurts and how bad it hurts. I had two procedures though and that could be why mine was so bad as I had a nissen and roux n y at the same time.

I also had really horrible pain after my bypass (May 27th) I wasn't expecting it either ,and wish I had been prepared. the np told me that they give you a pain med during surgery that keeps pain at bay for 3 days. Not so! But I did turn a page 5 days after surgery. Keep your chin up

I am happy to report that on day 6, I feel pretty normal. I walked 6 blocks to one of our rental properties, puttered around a few minutes, and walked back home. I went slow, but I felt amazing once I cooled down (Dallas is really hot this time of year). I thank all of you who put up with my post op whining. I just had never experienced that level of pain after a surgery and it took my by surprise.
So glad that you are feeling better! I had a sleeve done on 5/26/20, so my procedure was nowhere near as intense as yours. I opted not to ask for pain meds while I was in the hospital, and I never took the ones that were prescribed after the surgery -- I just don't like to medicate if I can help it. So I may have struggled through the pain longer than I should have. However, I found - as you have - that getting up and moving around actually helped the pain subside. Weird as it sounds, the pain that kept me from wanting to move actually went away faster when I started to move!

I am feeling 90 percent better! No pain at all. Still trying to learn the cues of both being hungry and being full. Started back to work on Monday and that has really helped to engage my mind and give me purpose. My job keeps me so busy, I don't have a lot of time to think about it. The metallic taste in my mouth has greatly improved and with that, the nausea has gone away. I am riding a stationary bike 30 minutes a day for about 5.5 miles, today was day 9 in a row (a fact I am very proud of). Things are really looking up and tomorrow I get to start eating regular food, I am very excited. I have no regrets and since June 3, I have lost 35 lbs!

Back