• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Had no idea the surgery would be so painful

I wish that I read this thread prior to my surgery about the BMs. Today, I had my first one since Sunday night (6/28). It was painful and to top it off there was blood. I ended up having another one and thankfully there was no blood. I had called the on call Doctor after the first one and was told that it could be from the surgery and to watch and see if it continued or not. Thank goodness it was just in the first one. I had the RNY and had exhibited zero pain and didn't have to take any pain meds while in the hospital.

I am a month out from my RYGB and I still have problems with constipation. That is because I am eating mostly protein with very fiber, so until I am able to eat fresh fruits and vegetables (3 moths post surgery) I am adding miralax to my morning coffee, which once a day is not enough to give me diarrhea, but it does keep things from becoming a brick. Glad you didn't have any pain. Everyone seems to have a slightly different experience. Good luck to you!

I am a month out from my RYGB and I still have problems with constipation. That is because I am eating mostly protein with very fiber, so until I am able to eat fresh fruits and vegetables (3 moths post surgery) I am adding miralax to my morning coffee, which once a day is not enough to give me diarrhea, but it does keep things from becoming a brick. Glad you didn't have any pain. Everyone seems to have a slightly different experience. Good luck to you!
It is amazing to see how the pain varies from person to person and what they experience with the BM functions post op. I do not have a high pain threshold and was practically in tears when the nurse tried to find a vein for the IV. She just kept on probing with the needle and couldnt get a vein then tried in my forearm to the point where I actually yelled f#%k because it killing me.

Back