• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hair loss is really depressing

I am 4 months and 3 weeks post op bypass w/gallbladder removal and my hair is coming out like mad!! Luckily I have about 3 times as much hair as the average person to start, but it's really depressing me. I started taking Nutrafol a week ago and using Keratherapy shampoo/conditioner. I'm taking all my supplements and meeting daily protein requirements.

I am 4 months and 3 weeks post op bypass w/gallbladder removal and my hair is coming out like mad!! Luckily I have about 3 times as much hair as the average person to start, but it's really depressing me. I started taking Nutrafol a week ago and using Keratherapy shampoo/conditioner. I'm taking all my supplements and meeting daily protein requirements.
This is something that makes me nervous (having surgery in a month), as my hair is fairly thin to begin with. I’m curious how well Nutrafol works, is it expensive?

I have thin fine hair, and I had some hair loss around months 4-5 after WLS. I take Hair, Skin and Nails biotin gummies, and I think they helped somewhat. I didn't go bald or anything close to that. I just noticed more hair in my comb than usual for a few months, but I haven't noticed anymore hair loss over the last few months. Hey, less hair means lower numbers on the scale lol!

Any surgery is a trauma to your system. My hair was thick and I didn’t have bald spots but I did have more hair strands in my brushes. I take biotin and collagen gummy supplements for biotin I try to stick with 10000 mg still not sure what the colleges should be but I have been getting 2.5 mg. My hair is much thinner but still growing back plus I had hip replacement surgery eight months after bypass.

It IS depressing! However, it doesn't last long and it grows back naturally. My surgeon said none of the supplements etc actually help, so I just waited it out.

I was annoyed because pre-op everyone gave the impression that if you get your protein and take your vitamins you won't lose any hair. Once I started losing it, my surgeon was like No, everyone loses some hair. The best you can do is stay as healthy as you can, so you don't lose more than necessary.

About 8 years ago I went on an extreme diet where I lost 60 lbs (then gained 100). After about 4-5 months I noticed hair falling out. It got to the point that my hubby was afraid to touch my head as he always came away with my hair.

I have fine, thin hair, and I didn't want to spare any. My dermatologist told me that Rogaine, and it's generics actually work and the best price she found was Costco. She also said that the difference between the mens and women's is men get a higher dose of the magic ingredient, so buy the mens. The biggest decision is lotion or foam form (foam is better to me). The biggest complaint is women not liking having to leave the product on their hair all day. It doesn't show, but hair may not look as clean.

It worked! After using it for not very long I noticed fuzzies coming in...yay!!

Like Kcuster83, I Think I'm starting to noticed more hair coming out in my brush, but I'm not sure. When I'm sure, I will likely give Rogaine another go.

I also read just this morning that hair dermatologists have been prescribing an off label med that's working. Let me see if I can get the article on here... https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/18/health/minoxidil-hair-loss-pills.html

let me just add that there are many nonprescription solutions. This is somehting worth researching, as it can have damaging physical effects that never go away. As I said before, all my hair grew back, and if you saw my hair, you'd be surprised, as, like Keri, I have fine, thin hair. But it looks great now, even though it did fall out from surgery trauma.

I think so many of us have been here in yes it’s disheartening. I remember looking in the mirror thinking that I looked like someone out of a horror movie. Here’s a quick video of how bad it got and what I used to help cover it up….https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRfbqWF9/
I’d say around month 7ish it started to come back in but I’m 14 months out and it’s still not what it was before surgery and I don’t think it ever will be. I can live with it ;).

let me just add that there are many nonprescription solutions. This is somehting worth researching, as it can have damaging physical effects that never go away. As I said before, all my hair grew back, and if you saw my hair, you'd be surprised, as, like Keri, I have fine, thin hair. But it looks great now, even though it did fall out from surgery trauma.
Gosh, that’s amazing that it all grew back in!

It’s hormonal, so over the counter products won’t help. I started taking Biotin a month before surgery and I’m still losing hair like crazy. I’m at month 4 and hoping the hair loss ends soon. It’s so depressing.
I remember my surgeon straight up telling everyone in the class that nothing we do will keep our hair from falling out. He was right, at least from my own experience & many other’s I’ve spoken to.

It IS depressing! However, it doesn't last long and it grows back naturally. My surgeon said none of the supplements etc actually help, so I just waited it out.

I was annoyed because pre-op everyone gave the impression that if you get your protein and take your vitamins you won't lose any hair. Once I started losing it, my surgeon was like No, everyone loses some hair. The best you can do is stay as healthy as you can, so you don't lose more than necessary.
That's actually encouraging to hear because I always heard the same thing- take your vitamins and get your protein in.

I had an annual dermatology appt last week and asked the dr about the hair loss. He said it is not unique to WLS but from all surgeries due to the anesthesia/stress and the disruption to the hair growth cycle. He said it usually starts happening around 3 months po and lasts for several months. We won't go bald and it will grow back. He did not recommend any products or supplements for it. Just his opinion weighing in on the discussion.

Back