• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hair Loss Question

mam

Hi All,
I am 3.5 months out from sleeve surgery. My hair has been falling out in huge clumps when I wash it or brush it. Otherwise I am also shedding hair like crazy all over the place. I know it's normal after surgery but I am just curious how many months people experienced this hair loss for after surgery. I am losing a lot of hair but I am blessed with thick long hair so it's only noticeable to me (but the shedding all the time is driving me a little nuts!!) My poor vacuum is working overtime....

Thanks for any insight,
Maryann

Mine lasted for a few months but regrowth was already starting by the time it stopped. I cut my hair shorter during that time to make it a less noticeable. I also took collagen (still take that) as a supplement (I personally take a liquid one by Spoiled Child, after trying a million different ones - not a plug, just found that it goes down best and has had the most impact on my hair, skin and nails.) I also found it helpful to keep my hair up, but loosely during the fall out stage and the early regrowth stage - it seemed like I had a halo of frizz around my head for a little bit, lol. Hold tight - it feels like it is lasting much longer than it really does.

Mine didn't start for several months after surgery, so at first I associated it with going bald, which is a dominant problem on my maternal family's side. But telogen effluvium is actually a common side effect of ANY major surgery. It's temporary and doesn't require any dietary or pharmaceutical intervention. However, my hair used to be so thick I could barely get a brush through it. Over time and age, it's gotten thin, but I'm not bald, and the hair that fell out after WLS grew back.

Telogen Effluvium: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment & ...
https://my.clevelandclinic.org › health › diseases › 244...

Dec 1, 2022 — Telogen effluvium is a common type of hair loss that affects people after they experience severe stress or a change to their body.
Diagnosis and Tests · ‎Management and Treatment · ‎Prevention

I lost so much hair. I am 8 months post bypass. It is crazy thin! I started taking Biotin 10,000 once a day about a month ago. Has really helped. I have so much new growth all over my head.

My hair was thin to begin with and all the shedding has really been bothering me. This has been going on for the past 3 months or so, and I’m 8 months out from surgery right now. i realize this happens, but expecting it doesn’t make it any easier.

Hi All,
I am 3.5 months out from sleeve surgery. My hair has been falling out in huge clumps when I wash it or brush it. Otherwise I am also shedding hair like crazy all over the place. I know it's normal after surgery but I am just curious how many months people experienced this hair loss for after surgery. I am losing a lot of hair but I am blessed with thick long hair so it's only noticeable to me (but the shedding all the time is driving me a little nuts!!) My poor vacuum is working overtime....

Thanks for any insight,
Maryann
I am a year out. My hair started falling out about month 5. I have some new growth, but I am thinning and have almost bald areas. I have no idea what to do. I'm eating my protein and taking Biotin. I wish there was one magic cure. I hate it. And feel awful.

I am a year out. My hair started falling out about month 5. I have some new growth, but I am thinning and have almost bald areas. I have no idea what to do. I'm eating my protein and taking Biotin. I wish there was one magic cure. I hate it. And feel awful.
Telogen Effluvium: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment & ...
https://my.clevelandclinic.org › health › diseases › 244...

Dec 1, 2022 — Telogen effluvium is a common type of hair loss that affects people after they experience severe stress or a change to their body.
Diagnosis and Tests · ‎Management and Treatment · ‎Prevention

If you had a good regimen of vitamins before the surgery this would be a lot less. Consult with the doctor and see if there are other supplements besides the bariatric vitamins you can take for your hair.

I was told as long as I took my vitamins and got my protein, hair loss would be minimal.

Not true.

Diane is right. And the process involves your hair follicles. So your hair stops growing, some falls out and then it starts growing again. There is no vitamin or mineral that changes that. Fortunately it is temporary.

I got a fake ponytail/messy bun to help with covering up the thinning. Dry shampoos or thickening sprays can give the illusion of thicker hair as well. It only lasted a few months for me.

I actually took multivitamins and biotin 1000 before surgery, and am still taking my post surgery vitamins too along with the biotin, and am shedding hair like crazy for the past couple of months. Hopefully it will stop eventually. Not sure there's much else I can do but wait it out and keep eating healthy.

Hi Ronie! Thank you so much for the suggestion about chebe hair cream with keratin! I am blessed with thick hair, but am losing so much daily after I brush/wash it, that it's very disconcerting. I know it should only last a while, but it's anxiety provoking. I appreciate your suggestion!

Hi All,

Thanks for any insight,
Maryann
I am three months post op and just started losing my hair a week ago. I have long hair and it used to be thick so this is hard. I'm not going to cut it because I may need to wrap it around my head. Ha, ha, ha.

I'm sorry you're feeling awful about it, just wondering if there is a way to feel better while you're in the midst of it? Maybe some pretty hair scarves or wraps that make you feel good?

I'm sorry you're feeling awful about it, just wondering if there is a way to feel better while you're in the midst of it? Maybe some pretty hair scarves or wraps that make you feel good?
Those are good suggestions, Lily. I also bought a wig and a separate messy bun hairpiece. But I think scarves and caps work best. Your hair starts growing back in immediately, but you're starting from zero, so you will have thinning and balding for a few months or longer. I have fine AND thin hair so I really felt like I was going bald, but I wore scarves around my forehead and tied them in the back like a gypsy. Worked really well for me.

Back