• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hair Loss Question

"Telogen Effluvium" is common in any surgical or drastic physical procedure. I believe it virtually always grows back. It's a form of shock. I seriously believe it's best to prepare for it by collecting pretty little scarves and hats.

I was told as long as I took my vitamins and got my protein, hair loss would be minimal.

Not true.

Diane is right. And the process involves your hair follicles. So your hair stops growing, some falls out and then it starts growing again. There is no vitamin or mineral that changes that. Fortunately it is temporary.

I got a fake ponytail/messy bun to help with covering up the thinning. Dry shampoos or thickening sprays can give the illusion of thicker hair as well. It only lasted a few months for me.
I agree with you both! It is a natural process that will pass with time, not supplements, special shampoos, etc.

It does pass. Also, don't add biotin supplements without discussing it with your doctor. Mine did not want me taking it. I don't remember why.

I did buy a messy bun hair extension to add coverage until it grew back. I have super thin hair anyway, so any loss isn't tragic lol

I think I started losing it around 3 months and it’s just starting to bounce back now at a year out. My surgeon was okay with me taking Biotin right away, I actually took it prior to surgery due to thin hair. I started using Routine shampoo/conditioner in May which I think helped. Or, most likely, my body has finally adjusted to the major weight loss. I just cut my hair short and had some layers put in to bounce it up a bit. It’s definitely a difficult part of the process.

Back