• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hair Loss: Right on Schedule (unfortunately)

I

I-Did-WHAT

(There really is a question at the end.)

I have read month three is usually when gastric bypass patients (perhaps other types) start losing hair. I have and am.

In August I had my hair cut to my shoulders (from the middle of my back) and layered as I was uncertain how patchy the hairloss might get. Now I find wads of my hair in the washer, the dryer. I clean my brush every day because I need to. When I bathe, handfuls of hair come out in the rinse. If I run my fingers (lightly as possible) through wet hair, I get a pile of hair before my hair is dry (which doesn't take long anymore).

My hair was thick. As others have said, I got compliments on my hair from many people before this.

I have resorted to using hair mouse, a hair dryer and hair spray when my husband and I go out together. (Hair dryer=hair all over the bathroom.) I haven't resorted to a hat yet because I've never worn them and feel uncomfortable deciding style, etc. I have considered shaving it all off. Multiple times considered this. My husband is my saving grace and the voice of reason in those moments.

Question: When does it stop? Does anyone have links to definitive information about which vitamins and minerals, foods, etc., will help during regrowth?

I-Did-What, Welcome to the forum and congratulations on deciding to have WLS. It looks like you are doing FANTASTIC with you weight loss :) There is an OTC supplement available at Costco, Sam's Club and Walmart called hair, Skin and Nails. My nutritionist recommended it to me when my hair started thinning out only 5 weeks post surgery. She said there were no guarantees but it was worth a try. Within only 3 weeks my hair loss stopped completely. A few other people on this site has had success as well. Perhaps you might want to try it, and it is very cheap :) Also, make sure you are getting a minimum of 60 grams of protein daily. You also need to get a LOT of sleep and take naps when your body is telling you to.

Make sure you come back to the forum to let us know how you are doing and to offer advice to other's here :)

Supplement: Can it be split by pill splitter?

Thank you for the welcome, Pat. I have to go to Walmart tomorrow and will look for this. As far as protein, I'm lucky to get 30 grams daily.

Sleep, yeah, that I do. I'm also anemic and was before WLS so sleep is not a problem. Now I'm down to a ferritin level of 6 and threatened with IV iron if it doesn't come up in 7 more weeks. I take 975 mg a day (three 325 mg pills).

As far as the size of the pills you mentioned, may I assume they can be split? Thank you for your suggestion.

Chatwidow-The ones I got at Costco aren't that big and the dose is 3 per day. The caplet size is about 1/3 the size of my thumbnail (I have short nails). Per my surgeon I can take a pill whole if it isn't any bigger than an M&M. Just to be safe I break them in half. You also have the option of crushing them or chewing them. If the taste is offensive you can take them with a little bit of sugar free drink powder in its dry form to help cover up the taste.

I-Did-WHAT, Yes you can split or crush the supplements, I break mine in half. As for your protein, work on getting more, it's critical for your recovery and weight loss. Lean ground turkey or canned turkey, chicken and tuna are all very high in protein and can help you reach your daily goal. You can also try some pre-made or powdered protein shakes. The powdered protein can also be added to food to up the protein content. There is an excellent unflavored powder available at Unjury.com and I can vouch for all the flavors except I'm not crazy about the chicken flavor unless it's mixed into chicken soup or chicken broth *LOL* I'm a little spoiled and like the real deal :) :) :)

While I don't have the issue with hair loss, as I don't have any to begin with! (alopecia), I did read up on it along with any other information I could get my hands on before I chose surgery and the thing I found was the intake of iron and adequate protien were crutial to limiting the loss. Something you learn with alopecia is that stress is a huge trigger in the hair loss department and surgery certainly qualifies... hang in there and give your body time to reset!!! And it's really not too bad shaving your head, I've been doing it for over 10 years now! (the little scraggly bits that pop up)

Hope this encourages you...

Regards,
Mendocino

The vitamins for hair, skin and nails are called Biotin and they are amazing! I take them all the time and will start to double up before I have my surgery. The Walmart brand or Nature Made brand I get from Giant are small so they are easy to get down. My biggest fear at this point is my hair falling out and/or thinning. I am not a superficial person at all, however, my hair is the only thing about myself that I am comfortable with right now and I too, get compliments on it all the time...I just hope if there is any hair loss, it will be temporary and not very substantial. I hope it eases up for you! Congrats on your surgery success!!!

Please be careful with taking a larger than recommended dose of these supplements. They also contain zinc and other things. Zinc is toxic in large doses so please check with your nutritionist before increasing your dose to make sure you maintain a safe level.

Back