• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hair Loss!!??!!

I know losing hair is one of the things that happens after bypass, but when will it stop? My shower drain gets clogged from all the hair I am using. We may as well take up stock in Draino! Sadly, I don't have a lot of hair as it is. Anyone have tips on how to deal with this or when it will stop?
Mary

I found this on Web MD:
30 mcg per day

Biotin is a coenzyme and a B vitamin, also known as vitamin H. As a supplement, biotin is sometimes used for diabetes, brittle nails, and other conditions.

Why do people take biotin?

Biotin plays a key role in the body. It supports the health of the skin, nerves, digestive tract, metabolism, and cells. Biotin may also help to treat some types of nerve pathology, such as the peripheral neuropathy that can result from kidney failure or diabetes.

Biotin supplements have been studied as a treatment for a number of conditions. In people with type 2 diabetes, early research suggests that a combination of biotin and chromium might improve blood sugar. On its own, biotin might decrease insulin resistance and nerve symptoms related to type 2 diabetes. More research needs to be done. Some preliminary evidence suggests that biotin might help strengthen brittle nails. Other uses of biotin -- for conditions like cradle cap, hepatitis, hair loss, and depression -- are unsupported or untested.

However, most people don't need biotin supplements. We get biotin in foods naturally. Our bodies also recycle the biotin we've already used. Genuine biotin deficiency is quite rare.

Pregnant women sometimes have low levels of biotin, so some take biotin supplements. The benefits and risks aren't clear.

How much biotin should you take?

The Institute of Medicine has set an adequate intake (AI) for biotin. Getting this amount from diet, with or without supplements, should be enough to support good health.

Depending on your case, your doctor might recommend a higher dose. For diabetes, for example, one study used 2 milligrams in combination with 600 micrograms of chromium.

Even at high levels, biotin appears to be fairly safe. Researchers don't know at what dosage biotin might start to pose health risks.

Can you get biotin naturally from foods?

Biotin occurs naturally in many foods. Wheat germ, whole-grain cereals, whole wheat bread, eggs, dairy products, nuts, Swiss chard, salmon, and chicken are all sources of biotin. The biotin in food is usually attached to protein and has relatively poor absorption.

What are the risks of taking biotin?
Side effects. Biotin seems to be safe and well-tolerated, even at fairly high levels. The maximum safe dose of biotin is unknown.
Risks. If you have any medical conditions -- or are pregnant or breastfeeding -- check with a doctor before using biotin supplements. Don't give biotin to a child unless a pediatrician recommends it.
Interactions. If you take any drugs regularly, talk to your doctor before you start using biotin supplements. Biotin might weaken the effect of some cholesterol drugs. Conversely, many drugs can lower biotin levels, including some antibiotics and medicines for acne. Some epilepsy drugs may decrease biotin absorption from food. A supplement, lipoic acid, may also increase the need for biotin. Eating raw egg whites on a regular basis can also lower biotin levels in the body.

Yes, I am taking my vitamins and I also just started taking biotin. Hopefully it will all start working on my hair. Thank you for the article Karen.

Mary I just read an article in the article section about hair loss, it was very informative. My doctor told me that around 6 months out, the hair can really fall out. He suggested biotin, as right after surgery I lost quite a bit. I think it was from the anesthesia. He didn't tell me how much to take. Not enough protein can be a reason too. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and my hair falls out when my hormones are off, so I really need to make sure everything is good. I go back the 11th and will ask then. It will grow back. You've been through a lot, I'm sure that adds to the loss too.

Go read that article. It was in the after surgery section.

Take care,
pen

Mary-My hair loss started at 5 weeks post surgery. My nutritionist suggested to use Hair, Skin and Nails but could not guarantee it would work. It worked for me and within 3 weeks there was a significant difference. I still use it daily. I get mine at Costco but have seen it at Walmart and other chain stores. It's inexpensive too. Just follow the doseage instructions on the label.

To keep your drains from getting plugged up with hair just run a comb through your hair while your conditioner is still in it. The comb will grab up all of the loose hairs and you can clean them off with a tissue or toilet paper and throw them in the trash or toilet.

How do you take Hair skin and Nails after the surgery, crushed?
I have some Biotn Shampoo bought at Vitamin Shoppe, do not know if it really works but thought why not try. You put it on a wet head, massage it in and that is it, rinse it out like any shampoo. Not sure your hair shaft can absorb Biotin but .......... It is a worry of mine since after Menopause I have thinned out hair that used to be thickly populated and now you can see my scalp with the right lighting so do not need to lose more, keep your fingers crossed for us both to keep our hair, you and me. I read it is not permanent but still upsetting!!

Sandie-I was able to take pills right after my surgery as long as they weren't any larger than an M&M. I broke the Hair, Skin and Nails tablets in half. You need to follow whatever instructions you are given for taking pills. Each surgeon has different requirements for pills, etc. They don't taste horrid but they don't taste that good either so I hope you don't have to crush them. But even so, it beats losing more hair.

I've been taking Evening Primrose Oil for the last several years. My nails and hair grow like the dickens and my skin is not as dry anymore. They are big capsules (like fish oil) but I found it in liquid form to take until I can swallow them again!

Thanks Pat, I do remember you saying pills smaller than M+Ms but the HSN pill is larger. I was not sure if they can be split, or dissolved well in a pouch and are not irritants.
I will ask my surgeon but not sure he knows about Hair, Skin, Nails but will ask. Will do what I can to not lose hair.
Thanks again Pat for being such good support for us all. When are you going to have your Hip replaced?

My hairdresser (once I told her I was worried about hair loss and why) suggested a new product by Redken called CAT extreme....Protein fortifier for hair that you spray on towel dried hair leave on for 3-5 min and then rinse. Just got it, figure it can't hurt....will let you know.

Do let us know how it works, sounds like you shower, get out and towel off and then put this shampoo on and leave on and then back in shower to wash it out but if it works why not!

Do let us know how it works, sounds like you shower, get out and towel off and then put this shampoo on and leave on and then back in shower to wash it out but if it works why not!

Sandie-I don't have a surgery date for hip replacement. I will know more tomorrow afternoon after my consult. I'm guessing that if I need to get cardiac clearance (again) then it will delay surgery a few weeks plus whatever waiting period is needed to fit me into the surgical schedule. Then there's the hurry up and wait game for insurance approval.

Now this scares the dickens out of me. I have a friend and she is like 7 months out and her hair is like really very thin. I take hair skin and nail supplements. I then asked a hair dresser who takes Biotin I got Max strength, it says one a day I take 2 one at morning on at night. I went to the vitamin shoppe online and ordered Biotin shampoo and conditioner. Of course I am a newbie so no hair loss yet. But, I am trying to make sure I at least try to reduce it some what. There are shampoo out there that are suppose to help Nioxin is one, but Sallys have the gen. for less then half the price. I just read what might be missing do some research and try. But we will see. I get the Biotin and Hair nails and skin at Walmart its a loy more affordable. Good luck
Angie

As a former hair stylist it can repair the hair on your head. But it doesn't do anything to help the reason its falling out. Try taking Biotin,and well I use both skin hair and nails. But it has less biotin then the Max which has 10,000 mcg. I just ordered the shampoo and conditioners Biotin also on sale at the Vitamin shoppe here online. I am sure there are a few other things that may work too, but have to put it back in your body. The stuff you have is a good product for dry or color treated hair.
Angie

Back