• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hair Loss??

Trish

im about 5 months post op. and a month ago i started losing my hair. i think its a abnormal amount. my mom and her friends are like i lose that much. and I'm saying i never have before, i know it was a side effect listed for when you lose weight fast but has anyone found a way to not lose so much. i feel like I'm going to have no hair left by the new year.
i thought it was because i wasn't getting enough protein in but i am now; and i know i need to talk to the doctor about it but i thought id see what everyone on here had to say first..

Hi Trish, I've heard of people losing their hair, but I haven't as yet. Of course I'm only 2 1/2 months out from surgery. I have seen this discussed here on the site. I'll try to find some, but I know that several people here have dealt with the hair loss issue.

:cool:

You are correct...the lack of Protein intake and quick weight loss...both affect you...I've always had some hair loss because I suffer from a thyroid disorder as well...but I've started to take Biotin pills, which are great for hair, skin and nails too. I take 2 a day and it's made a big difference...I still loose some but my hair skin and nails are healthier. Biotin was recommended by my Medical team prior to my surgery. Like you say though, please check with your Doctor first or at least call your Nurse practitioner if it will be some time before you see your surgeon again.

it won't last forever

Hello, Trish (and all),

At about 6 months post op my very thick, very proud to have, head of hair just started falling out. Clumps of hair everytime I brushed and/or washed it. I reached the point where I didn't want to wash it. I cried buckets. It was horrible. It lasted about 3 months and then just stopped. My hair is indeed thinner, but it's still nice....however, I am 55, so I think that is supposed to happen anyway.

It's a lack of protein and other essential vitamins. Be religious with the intake. I strongly encourage that. You can't stop it, but hopefully, you will be more diligent than I was at drinking the shakes. Protein is so important, as are all supplements.

You'll be fine; remember, it won't last very long!!!!

Take care.

Letrell

At about 5 months after my wife had the surgery I started noticing small clumps of hair on the shower wall. Her hair was falling out. So she started taking biotin pills. But she still doesn't get enough protien on a daily basis. I can't make her eat right. Thats her choice. And she doesn't like it when I bust her eating crap. So I just decided that I have to worry about the way I eat. Not her.

You are absolutely right! She has to do it her way just as you have to do it your way. I have a friend...she and her husband had surgery the same day. She immediately started eating, he was more like me...stuck right with it to the T. It took her a bit longer, but she figured it out and she looks and says she feels great.

If your wife doesn't do it her way, she will fail. So love her, give her encouragement, thank her for her support, and keep on moving forward! We are here for you.

Letrell

I take hair nails and skin vitamins from wal mart and then I also take spuper strength Biotin and use the shampoo and conditioner. And protien is a big factor. I am waiting though to see if it works. So far so good.

Back