• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hamburger soup

I know some doctors say not to eat corn, however I have not had any problems with it. You could omit the corn if you want to.

Hamburger Soup

1 pound 90/10 ground beef
2 cups celery, sliced
1 cup chopped onion (red, yellow, white, or sweet)
2 teaspoons (or more) garlic
4 cups water
1 cup beef stock
2 medium red potatoes, peeled and small cubes
2 cups frozen corn
1/2 bag of a 12 oz bag of small shell or salad macaroni pasta
8 or more rings of jarred jalapeno slices, chopped
46 oz bottle of V8 juice
1 large can of diced tomatoes
1 4oz can of green chilies
Salt, pepper, tobasco, and season salt to taste

In a Dutch oven (or a skillet) cook beef, celery, and onion till meat is no longer pink. Add garlic and cook for another minute, and drain. (If meat is browned in a skillet, transfer to large stock pot). Stir in potatoes, water, beef stock, corn, pasta and jalapeno. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add V8, tomatoes, green chilies, salt, pepper, tobasco, season salt. If the soup looks too thick, add 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup beef stock. Cook and stir until heated. This can be stored in plastic containers, and frozen. I usually put 1 ladle full per container. I throw one into my lunch box with a fruit cup and a water.

Cary-the soup was great. I used frozen mixed veggies instead of corn and my home canned tomatos. I didn't think I would like the hotness of the jalapeno peppers so I left those out. I would have added the chiles but I didn't have any. It made so much that I ended up freezing over half of it. Your soup was a very pleasant change to the chicken noodle that I usually make and it didn't need to simmer for hours.

I'm glad you liked it. I live alone so I end up freezing most of what I make. Great for when I go to work. I grab a frozen soup / meal, a fruit cup and a bottle of water. If you get the mild jalapenos, the do not add that much of a kick.

Cary
your receipe sounds great and the fact that it makes alot so the whole family can enjoy the same food. thanks for sharing, I too want to try this one this weekend. thanks for sharing.
Donna

Back