• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

has anyone used medicaid for the surgery

im just trying to find out how long it take for a pre-auth cause cant get surgery date till they authorize thats all im waiting on for the date.

I am on medicaid also in Arizona. Each state is different. I know here it takes 6-8 months to get to surgery. Call your carrier and ask for a list of what is needed and how long it normally takes. I know my list was farely small but what the doctors requested at a huge list of tests and so on.

I live in PA and Medicade did pay for my surgery. I had surgery May 17th of this year. When I was working and married my health insurance would not pay for gastric bypass surg. I got divorced, lost my insurance and had no choice but Medicade. They didnt let me know if they would pay until about a month before my surgery. I talked to my Dr's nurse and she assured me they paid for other people to have this surgery. Your physician need to write a letter requesting payment. I don't know how many months you are into this I dont think they would continue to pay for office visits if they were not going to pay for your bypass. Hang in there, Its a long road but it will be here before you know it! : )

i was told from medicaid that they pay 100% the drs office just has to do the pre-authorization which the navigator in the drs office says it normally takes 3-4 days that they try to do it fast.i have the surgical consult Friday then 3 class 2 this Thursday and 1 class next Thursday. once all classes are done they submit to medicaid for approval then I should hear from the nurse whith a surgery date which will be sometime in July.

Hi Twinkle, it sounds like you are in good shape:) Hang in there. Let us know what you find out. :cool: Tom

Medicare

I used Medicare, It went well, I had already been seeing a Nutrisinist and everything else fell into place, my heart doctor, my primary doctor were all wanting me to have it done. I was excited so I kept up on everything they asked me to do. There is a lot to do but hope at the end of the tunnel, don't give up, be persistant follow up on everything as you go.
Bobbi

I have private insurance and got fairly quick approval. However, I have 3 clients that have Medicaid in NY and they were all approved very quickly. Faster then me. Good Luck work with your surgeon's office. They work hard to get approval. It is a business.

Back