• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

have my pre opp appointment friday, what should I expect

donnayork

ok, I have my pre-op appt set for friday. I saw the Dr in Jan and set up my surgery date. My Dr is very stricit so I worked really hard to lose a few lbs before the appt to prove I was serious. Lost from 259 to 256, the last thing she siad to me was I was not to gain a ounce of weight. I have been exercising 1 hour 4 days a week and eating really well, anyways to get to the point I hurt my back a week ago an my regular Dr said no more working out till I am no longer having any pain. Still eating the same but my weight has gone up 2lbs. I am freaking out. Doing what I can without reinjuring my back to get the 2lbs off scared that if I am up that ounce she will cancel my appt. believe me she is a hard a**, she is very serious about her work a doesnt want people in the program that isnt serious. But dont they have to go by your first weigh in weight? which I am at now. Have cut my calories back big time since I cant excercise to lose the weight. Any advise?? Plus what can I expect at my appt do they do blood work and all that,cause they didnt tell me not to eat or drink anything like they normally do when they need to do blood work. So should I not eat or drink just to be on the safe side. Cant wait to get my surgery just really neverous. I picked my dr because she is so stricit thought it would help keep me on the right path. Just didnt expect to get down in my back for the 1,000 time.

hi DonnaY. I understand the concerns you have about the dr. does it hurt when you walk? The reason I ask is, walking is considered the best exercise there is out there, and as you know the more protein you replace in your diet the more chance you have of loosing weight. before I had the surgery I walked around the neighborhood, only a mile walk but it took the pounds off. I have been able to get a treadmill now, but if walking doesn't hurt your back it has great benefits. I have L1-L5 degenerated in my back so I know how bad a back can hurt and be so uncomfortable. My surgeon was a serious one too, about weight. ALso you can call the office ahead of time and ask them what types of test to expect that day. I can rembember having an ekg, blood work and the other test were done on different day but I am not sure how close to my surgery date these test were done. I know most offices have a person that will answer all insurance questions and know for sure what test are done and when. Your day is coming up soon, hang in there never give up you' ve come too far. Keep us posted how you are doing.
Donna (bigtallsis)

I would recommend that you get a note from your Dr stating that you were told not to work out until the pain is gone. Even a hard ass has to realize that you're only up two pounds, without working out. Of course if you can walk, that would work wonders for you. Get the note just in case.

:cool:

Thank, I have been walking a little. But my dr said to take it very easy since I have my surgery coming up. She faxed a note to my surgeon. I'm military so there is no weight loss requirement then hopefully I will be fine. Anyone's weight can go up an down. My husband went with me on a short walk. So we're gonna do it again tomorrow. So keeping my fingers between my lite walking and Drs note I will be just fine. Because I have to have my surgery. Thank you both!!

Back