• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hearty vegetable ham soup

Pat99

This is a hearty and smoky tasting soup that is very thick, like stew. It is similar to a soup called Kowlata that my step Grandfather made from his homeland of Malta. Since it is a rustic soup there is no need to spend a lot of time in the prep work. Rough chop the fresh veggies and just pour in the frozen veggies. You can substitute fresh for frozen if you prefer. Almost anything goes but I recommend that there are no substitutions for the spices.

HEARTY VEGETABLE HAM SOUP

INGREDIENTS:
1 large onion
2 medium cloves garlic sliced thin or chopped
3/4 cup carrots
8 ounces small diced lean ham
1 cup frozen baby lima beans
1 cup frozen green peas
1 medium head cauliflower
1 small head cabbage
1 large can plain tomatoes OR equivalent fresh tomatoes (chopped) OR 1 small can plain tomato paste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
2 or 3 bay leaves
PINCH of Italian seasoning or PINCH of oregano (do not add both)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes or 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
1 to 1-1/2 quarts water
Parmesan cheese-grated (good quality like Grana Padano if possible)

If you have room in the pot you can add a bag of frozen Italian blend vegetables with zucchini, green beans, sweet red peppers and cauliflower. Or you can add whatever mild vegetables you like. Another thing you can add is a can of drained and rinsed white beans after the soup is done cooking.

METHOD:
Add 2 cups water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon olive oil into a non-reactive soup pot or large Dutch oven. Add curry powder, bay leaves, pinch of Italian seasoning (OR OREGANO)and some of the pepper and all of the garlic. Chop veggies in the order listed above and layer into pot. ADD THE HAM AFTER THE PEAS BUT BEFORE THE CAULIFLOWER AND CABBAGE TO ALLOW THE HAM FLAVOR TO DEVELOP AS THE WATER BOILS. Keep the water at a low boil as you work making sure to add more water as needed. Add remaining pepper and the parsley in layers between the veggies. Add tomatoes last and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar. Add enough water so that it a couple of inches BELOW the cabbage. As the veggies cook down the soup will become “soupier”. Cover the pot and allow the layers to come to a boil for about 5 minutes then stir everything together and cover pot. Slow simmer for 45 minutes to an hour. Check for doneness. At this point I use a large bladed spatula and LIGHTLY chop up the veggies just enough to get them to break down a little so that you have a couple of each on your spoon as you are eating the soup. Do not over chop into mush. Taste and add more salt or pepper to taste. After ladling into bowls top with 1 or 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese. As with any soup, this gets better and better over the next day or two, if it lasts that long.

Last edited:
Hi Pat, Your going to have to change your screen name to Chef:D LOL. All your recipes sound so good, your slaw sounds like one my grandmother always made, I dont know how she made it but I remember it did have raisins in it. :cool: Tom

Thanks for the compliment. I didn't cook too much the last couple of years but am finding myself cooking more these days because of the 800 calories I'm allowed. It seems almost everything pre-made has high fructose corn syrup or a lot of fat in it so 800 calories gets used up fast with that junk in it. I don't use recipies so I have to cook by taste and memory which makes writing a recipe somewhat challenging at best. My mother was an excellent cook so I guess some of it must have rubbed off *LOL* Plus, she worked so all of us kids had to fend for ourselves from an early age. We had a choice of cooking something or having peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I started packing my own school lunch when I was 6. One of my favorite sandwiches back then was sliced hot dogs a la ketchup *LOL* I used to get some looks from the lunch monitor because the ketchup soaked through the bread and really looked a mess.

I love your sandwich you use to make as a child! I would have them too LOL, I'm going to try this recipe as well, I love to cook but sometimes i just want something easy ya know like a sandwich anyone have any luck finding bread that is carb free? I have not eattin any bread but i would like to make some simple like that instead of cooking all the time, it gets super hot here in Alabama, so sandwich's are the key LOL any ideas

I love your sandwich you use to make as a child! I would have them too LOL, I'm going to try this recipe as well, I love to cook but sometimes i just want something easy ya know like a sandwich anyone have any luck finding bread that is carb free? I have not eattin any bread but i would like to make some simple like that instead of cooking all the time, it gets super hot here in Alabama, so sandwich's are the key LOL any ideas

Have you tried a wrap yet, if you can tolerate tortillas wraps are the way to go, try the whole wheat ones. When I am on the road they are a nice alternative to a sandwich, it has all the fixins and not the bread. :cool: Tom

Yes TwoMas I have them for my children, and i looked at the back of the package and wow they have 22 carbs in one, now i do understand there is no way i could eat an entire one but still thats a lot of carbs, I'm scared to eat a lot of carbs since I'm a carb junkie and I know that eating a lot of carbs got me almost 300lbs so I'm trying not to eat them ya know i don't want to go through all this and then bring my old bad habits back in, Pat love the recipes keep them coming :)

I have seen low carb flour tortillas in the store. I don't remember the carb count but when you read the labels make sure you reduce the amount of carbs by the grams of fiber for net carb value. Another thing you could try is making your sandwiches using lettuce wraps instead of bread. Large leaf lettuce works well as does romaine. I buy Kroger Light hotdog and hamburger buns (white and wheat). They do have carbs but are only 80 calories. They also have Kroger sliced light bread (white and wheat) but always seem to be out whenever I shop. One of the stockers told me they sell out almost daily. I think the last time I was able to buy a couple of loaves was about 2 years ago *LOL*

Pat, I guess I am going to have to go back through all these recipes, they all sound so yummy. I need to make some of these to try out

Back