• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello Everyone...surgery next week

:rolleyes: Hi everyone. I'm new the the site. I started my liquid diet today, and my surgery is the 29th...OMG!!! That is 6 days and a wakeup!!!!!

:rolleyes: Hi everyone. I'm new the the site. I started my liquid diet today, and my surgery is the 29th...OMG!!! That is 6 days and a wakeup!!!!!

Congratulations and WELCOME to the forum!!! :)

Wow 6 days til the start of your new life!!! It will be here in a blink of an eye! It's an exciting adventure and Good Luck to you!!!!!

Cheyenne

yes, welcome. Now I am going to post a huge response that I have made once before for new folks joining the forum.

====================================================================

Before you know it your surgery date will be here.

I remember walking into the surgery, strangely calm and relaxed. I was ready.

I have enjoyed many benefits already post op. I am off all of my BP meds and diabetic meds.

I still take my Lipitor 20mg and my bystolic 5mg. I not sure I need these anymore. But, I will wait until I have a visit with my cardiologist. There is a new trend out there for heart protection that says to keep you on a statin based on statistics. The bystolic is another item to be discussed. My resting pulse is now 58-62 generally.

As to diet, your surgeon should be giving you extensive guidelines and yes for each surgeon there are variations. It is all about giving your new stomach pouch the best chance of healing real well before you go back to food.

For me there was liquid diet 2 weeks preop. This consisted of glucerna and protein shakes.
Then clear liquids week one post op. This was Isopure grape flavored protein shake.
Week 2 was full liquids, so I added Premier Protein shake vanilla flavored. I had 1% milk too as well as apple juice and cranberry juice.

All along there is an emphasis for you to try your best to get your needed daily protein intake (60 grams for ladies and 80 for men) as well as drinking plenty of fluids. I did have an issue with dehydration. Many of us do. However, that is corrected now. In fact, don't be surprised when you go home post op that you have gained weight. The hospital really loads you up on fluids to help you fight dehydration.

Week 3 was puree foods. I liked to puree soups. I pureed eggs as well.

Week 4 became soft foods such as soft boiled egg or hard boiled egg. I did tuna salad, be careful with the mayonnaise. Your new pouch will not like fats or sugars.

You will notice that you will not be able to eat a lot anymore. My surgeon recommended no more than a 1/2 cup of food; mostly protein at any one meal. I found out that I had to stay with 1/3 cup. You get full quickly. This eventually became 3 ounces of protein at a meal and maybe a little of something else such as 1/2 slice whole wheat toast. Many of us cannot tolerate white bread.

You will have to learn to eat very slowly. The 3 ounce meal I have takes about a 1/2 hour or a bit more for me to consume. You take small bites and chew, chew, chew until it literally is ready to dissolve in your mouth. Then after a few bites take time out and BURP! Yes, burp. You are like a baby again. Eat a little then burp. You don't want to trap gases in your stomach. It will get uncomfortable.

You will eventually get into a routine and you will be very happy.

DON'T GO BACK TO OLD HABITS. YOU HAVE COMMITTED TO A NEW LIFESTYLE.

Oh that plate of ice cream that I used to love to have. Well, now it is an occasionally "bite" from my wife's plate/dessert.

Use a smaller plate too. You are not going to eat very much at a meal anymore.

Some surgeons say 3 meals, others say more. I find that I am having something every couple of hours anyway, be it a protein meal with applesauce on the side or simply a glass of skim or 1% milk or apple juice or cranberry juice.

Have a snack in a treat now and then; yes. I personally do not believe in denying yourself ever. However, once again it is a bite not a bowl, or a bite of cake not a big slice, or one cookie now and then but not a fist full of chocolate chip cookies with a glass of milk anymore.

I hope I have helped and given you some perspective.

Good luck,

Ralph

Ah the miracles of word processing. I have some canned messages that I am developing for new folks that join the forum. They usually have many questions, fears, concerns. So I thought before you ask all the questions to give you and idea of my experience. Quite frankly, many of us share the same experience with some degree of variation. However, we are all heading down the same new path and way of life.

Good Luck,

Ralph

Hi and welcome to the group. You are starting out on the Journey of a lifetime. By following the plan provided to you by your Dr. and Nutritionist, you will become a Healthier, Happier person. There will be times, especially in the first months after surgery where you'll wonder "What the hell did I do to myself?" When you do, just remember it's natural and something almost everyone of us experienced, it does go away. You may or may not have complications, when you do, reach out, we're here for you. As you move down the journey, don't forget to come back and provide feedback and support to those who are following us. Good Luck and stay in touch.

Frank

:cool:

Back