• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

hello just beginning

landen24

hi all, first time here, i am six months away from my bariatric surgery. im scared to death this is all new to me. a lot of anxiety, does anyone have any encouraging advice for me?

Hi Landen, Welcome. It is ok to be scared, I was and almost all of us were who have had the surgery and those who are just starting or on their way are feeling much like you do right now, so you are not alone in this:D Some helpfull tips at this point would be to follow your doctors dierctions and if they put you on a meal and exercise plan do you best to stick to it, it will make surgery and recover much easier for you and the doctors. Go to local support groups so you can meet others face to face and talk with them on their experiences and actually see how they are doing and also here that even after WLS we still have to do our part to keep trhe weight off once we lose it and they usually have facilitators that are experts in bariatric nutrition and exercise. Do you know what surgery you are having yet? :cool: Tom

Hello landen24
Welcome! You are in the right place. These folks have tons of info and great advice. I must admit I wasn't scared at all. I would have jumped up on that operating table at my first dr visit. I had lap-band Aug 13 and I feel awesome. Have you decided what kind of surgery you will be having? There are people on here who have had all different surgeries so if you are undecided ask who had what and how their experience was. Do lots of research. The fear of the unknown is what usually gets people. I knew what to expect pretty much. My surgeon and the hospital staff told me each thing before they did it. I had a great experience so far! Good luck and relax we will get you thru this!!
Margaret

Back