• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello - Pre-Op Testing

cook5030

Hello, I have just started my pre-op testing. Blood work is all done, chest x-rays done. My only concern is my insurance and out of pockets. I have a $2500.00 deductible and then 20% up to $2500.00. Does anyone know of any other programs that may help with this? I have BC/BS of MI. I am still working on my six months of visits to my dr. Is there anything she should be putting on my papers that I am not aware of?

Hi cook5030,

I know there are medical credit cards that usually have a certian number of months that are interest free. I used one when I had eye surgery done a few years ago. Maybe you can look into that. Hope that helps.

COOK-Welcome to the forum and congratulations on deciding to have WLS. I also had fairly high out of pocket costs and the hospital I went to offered a no interest loan with fixed monthly payments. Some hospitals require that the loan is paid in full within 12 months but others don't have any set time for the loan to be paid off. You may also qualify for financial assistance based on income, contact the hospital for the criteria.

I'm assuming the doctor you are talking about is your PCP. If he / she has been in contact with the bariatric surgeon I'm sure the paperwork will be done properly. Make sure you come back to the forum to let us know how you are doing.

thank you all for you input. I will definately be checking on some of these ideas. My next appt is Sept 6 for the EGD. Another $460.00 out of pocket. They said I could pay half on that day and payments over the next 2 months for the rest. Maybe I will just have to drag it out a little so I can pay. Wish me luck:eek:

Cook-Please be aware that there are time limits on how long you can wait after testing to have the surgery. Depending on which test and your general health you may have to repeat a test after 6 months to a year if you delay your surgery. Ask your PCP what he / she will agree on for your particular case.

Good luck :) :) :)

Back