• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello To Everyone

Naunney

I am new to this forum, well just forums in general. I am starting to set things up for my surgery and I just wanted to get some thoughts from others who are thinking about surgery or had the surgery already. I look forward to hearing from you all.
Thanks,
Lisa

Hi Naunney Welcome to the forum. this is kind of a low-key forum but has some good people with good advice. I decided to have surgery last summer but didn't go to my first seminar until February, then saw the surgeon in May and then started in earnest. I hope to have the vertical gastic sleeve by the end of the year or the first of next year.
I've taken everyone's advice and started journaling my food intake, cut my sugar intake, eliminating fast foods as much as possible, and trying to figure out my food triggers and reasons that I overeat in the first place. With the help of some books I decided that with my grandmother and my father's influence, I grew up thinking that food was the centerpiece of any gathering. In other words, you want me to come to a party? Only if there's a full meal available. I'm working on not giving food so much power in my life.
Good luck to you and come back often.

Hi Lisa, Welcome. I had the Ruex N Y gastric bypass, I am happy with the results even though I had some bumps in the road:rolleyes: There pro's and con's to the RnY, the con's are malabsorbtion, and dumping syndrome (throwing up when we eat to fast or the wrong foods), vitamins can help with the malabsorbtion of needed nutrients and monitoring what and how much we eat can help with the dumping, we are all different on the foods that make us dump. The pro's are rapid weight loss, reuction of medicined if not eliminating them altogether, I was on high BP and Cholesterol meds and was off both within a months time, others have been able to reduce their diabetes meds if not eliminate them altogether. However with all WLS you need to stick to a meal plan and change your relationship and how you look at food forever, thats right forever:eek:, it's not as bad as it sounds, after the surgery the appatite goes away and for a while, a year for me, I had to remind myself to eat because I was never hungry. If you check out the home page on the site you will find all kinds of info on the different WLS. Let us know what you decide on. :cool: Tom

Naunney-Welcome to the forum and congratulations on considering WLS. You will find us a friendly group of people so don't be shy about asking whatever is on your mind. I had the RNY on 2/27/12 and have lost almost 80 pounds so far :) I hit a plateau about 6 or 7 weeks ago and just now started losing weight again, slowly but surely. Having bariatric surgery is a life changing event and requires a lifetime of commitment. Find out everything you can, knowledge is power. This surgery is not a magic fix but rather a tool to assist you in your weight loss journey. There is no guarantee that everyone will reach their goal weight unless they are commited to the required lifestyle changes. The journey will be difficult at times and emotions will run rampant at times but any obstacles you might face can be overcome with perserverence and support from others. Everyone in this forum is at your disposal and will be willing to help you in your journey if you decide to have the surgery.

Make sure to come back to let us know how you are doing and to ask any questions you have :) :) :)

Back