• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello

Crysdickson

Code:
Hi everyone I'm new here....I had sleeve surgery may 1st...everything I smell or taste is horrible. Not sure if this is normal. I'm wondering if it will go away.....:(

First off, welcome to a great forum Crysdickson. As for food, yes it is normal, though not everyone has the same reaction. It does go away for the most part. There may be some foods that will bother you for a longer time. I can't stand the smell or taste of the protein shakes that I loved before surgery, still can't. Hope this helps.

Frank

:cool:

Welcome! Yes, it is normal to changes in smell and taste right after surgery. As Frank already mentioned, this should resolve over time (for the most part). Just keep following your plan, and give it time.

First off, welcome to a great forum Crysdickson. As for food, yes it is normal, though not everyone has the same reaction. It does go away for the most part. There may be some foods that will bother you for a longer time. I can't stand the smell or taste of the protein shakes that I loved before surgery, still can't. Hope this helps.

Frank

:cool:

Thanks so much frank. I appreciate your response....it is very hard for me to get anything down at this point, but now it's just mostly hot foods, broth, soup etc....I hope it goes away soon....:))

I read somewhere (probably on this forum) that a deficiency in zinc is what causes foods to taste different. Might be worth googling.

Yes, this is normal. I was the same way. I'm down to one protein shake that I can tolerate and that's Unjury Chocolate Splendor. Every other one I used to like I cannot stand anymore! I also got so the taste of broth or soup started to bother me. I don't know if that was just a mental thing because I got tired of them or not. :D The doctor gave me a pill for nausea that I could put under my tongue to dissolve. It worked wonders! I finally got over smells for the most part and now can eat anything.

Back