• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello

Hi Bernieann, Welcome to the forum. You must be so excited you are almost a week away, how has your journey been so far? You are doing great on the presurgery weight loss it helps so much in healing after surgery. If you have questions or concernes feel free to ask we are all here to help. :cool: Tom

Thanks Tom

Thanks Tom,
I am very nervous and excited and scared. Along this journey I found out that I have severe sleep apnea and I am trying ti get used to CPAP. I am almost one full week into my liquid diet and have felt awful. Several crying jags and what the heck am I doing moments, but I have hung in there. I have lost 9# this week so far. I would feel much better if I could get rid of this headache..jeez.

One of the things that is on my mind the most is long term effects, that may or may not be known. I just learned on here last night about the iron deficiency that is common at 3 years post op...that bothered me a lot. Wondering what else there is. Am I making the right decision and so on. I am sure everyone goes through this.

How are things going for you?

I am doing great, I have lost about 115 lbs over the past 2 years, my last bloodwork was good, my B12 was on the low side of normal and my D3 was a little low but my D3 has always been low even pre op and I always forget to up my dose in the winter so my doctor said just stay with my winter dose year around, and I had switched my brand of B12 so when that runs out I will switch back. I am going to go Run a 10 mile run up in Medford Oregon in the morning (4/14) that should be fun, I have been going 6 mi. a day 4-5 times a week and it has been pretty effortless so we'll see how I do adding 4 more miles, LOL:D

I was scared and excited at the same time also, my girls were a great family support group though, they all went to the hospital with me on my surgery day, they even got up at 4 in the morning and they only do that the day after Thanksgiving. I read about the Iron deficiency after 3 years, that does not happen with everyone but it is worth keeping an eye on when now since I am 2 years out right now, but so far all is good. Everyone is different when it comes to our bodies adjusting to surgery and the long term effects but for me I have no regrets, the health problems that come with obesity can end in an unpleasant quality of life with many health issues, my mom ended up passing away from morbit obisity, she did lose a lot of weight for a hernia surgery before she passed but was still obes when she had the hernia operation her heart was not strong enough to handle the stress and gave out, if she had known about a gastric bypass she may have tried that, but that was a long time ago.

I know how scary this can be, because I was there and I wondered some times what I was doing, and those thoughts came closer together the closer my surgery day came, I just had to remember that I had tried many different diets and none were successful, I would lose weight but could never keep it off I would always gain it back and then some, I had high BP and colesterol and the yoyo diets were not good for me, I have always been active and my job has me hiking around in the woods fighting wildland fire so I got plenty of exercise, but it was also getting harder and harder to do my job.

If you have a local support group go sit in on some of them and you will find that you are not alone, we are also here for you. I know you had to think long and hard about this and your descision did not come easily so hang in there and please come back and let us know how you are doing, make sure you are getting enough protien and water, that should help ease the headache, your body is not used to such a low cal diet. :cool: Tom

Thanks for replying. It helps to hear that I am not alone. I do attend the support groups when they have them, the last one was canceled and the other one I attend is an hour away, but I missed the last one, not knowing the one here in town would be canceled. I do have very supportive friends, a neighbor who has just had the sleeve 4 weeks ago. And a couple other aquaintences that have had RNY at difference stages, but none a year out. My family is supportive, but scared to I think. I keep getting the we love you the way you are and you can do this without the surgery. They will all be with me on surgery day.

I just found out a couple weeks ago that I have severe sleep apnea and I am also trying to adjust to that. I am on blood pressure medicine and depression medication. Which may all be do to the sleep apnea. I am looking forward to getting rid of those. I also have acid reflux, which is why I couldn't get the sleeve. A little disappointed, I didn't want to be so worried about the malabsorption issue. But we will deal with it.

How exciting for you to be running so effortlessly. I have always wanted to run..maybe someday I will :). It is truly helpful to hear good things that other people have accomplished. I think so many people go into this journey thinking it is the cure all, but it really is up to us for the most part, very hard work. What brand of vitamins are you taking if i may ask? Did you use Beneprotien? If you did, do you still? I am getting ready to order my vitamins and such and I am just unsure which to go with. I got all the recommendations from my dietitian, which it sounds like the same as most of the people here.

Good luck today on your run:) I can't imagine how it must feel for you. Thanks again for your support.

Hi again. I take Twin Lab Milti Vatamins without iron in a capsule, Twin Lab chileated ferous iron and for calcium I like the calcium citrate chews, carmel is my favorite but they also have berry, lemon and chocolate, the chocolate taste like a tootsie roll, I switch off alot on B12 for whatever is cheapest but I think I need to stick with one of the higher quality ones. Hopefully soon after surgery your blood pressure will start to lower, I think it took me about a week, so monitor your BP closely, I didn't even think about it and I started getting light headed everytime I stood up and was fatigued all the time so I took my bp and it was real low so I stopped taking it:rolleyes:, my doctor told me I should have called her first but it was a weekend when I figuired out happeneing and they weren't open. I didn't have sleep apnea but the folks in my support group said that after a while that also corrected itself, I hope the same will hold true for you. Take care. :cool: Tom

Hi, Bernieann, and welcome. This site is awesome! Folks here are so understanding and helpful. Looks like your surgery date is fast approaching. Wishing you the best of luck. With a good attitude, you will do just fine. I am about 10 months out from my surgery and have lost about 140 pounds so far. I have to be honest....the first couple of months after surgery, I wondered if I had made the right decision. Once I started feeling human again, I have never regretted my decision. I know the surgery isn't a cure-all. Rather, it's a tool to help me get healthy. Good luck and will be looking for updates from you! God bless! Rosie :)

Back