• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Help! I'm starving!!!

Becca

This is my first post. My surgery is scheduled for December 13th. I have been eating high-protein, low carb, low calorie for months now. I started my "liquid" shake diet (Carnation instant breakfast with FF milk sugar free 4x day) only 3 days ago and I am starving. My stomach growls continually and I have had a headache for three days even though I did not drink soda, coffee, or tea prior to the liquid diet. I am finding myself very irritable and sluggish. I have a routine of working out at the gym at least 3x a week and yet today I didn't have the energy to walk at the mall while shopping.

Is this common? I feel like every one else seems like it is manageable because you are so close to the overall goal... but I am feeling like a whiny wimp! I cannot imagine another 12 days of this. Does everyone do this diet for 14 days prior or do some people get to eat a few bites of actual food? Or drink an actual protein shake versus these wanna-be shakes? I seriously would be happy with one 3oz meal a day and a few of these shakes but I don't want to sabotage my surgery.

Thanks everyone. I really am excited but after 3 months of Dr appts, sleep studies, waiting for approval... my "high" has been diminished...

Becca

HI Becca,

I found the regular shakes to be more filling and was not allowed to have or use Carnation Instant Breakfast. My Center recommended and carries Unjury protein shakes. I like the Chocolate in skim milk, Vanilla is good in Orange sunrise crystal light, and unflavored goes well in lemonade or fruit punch. They did give some other choices. I bought a sample pack so I could try them out before buying a full container. Are you getting your fluids in besides the shakes? Sip on some crystal light flavor of your choice or water throughout the day. Maybe some nice hot tea in between would be nice.

One thing I have learned from this forum is that every Center has different requirements and they have good reasons for their preferences. It has a lot to do with your choice of procedure too. ie. my lap band surgery didn't require as much as if I had had RNY. Mainly it is to shrink your liver so the surgeon can see the operative field. You can do this and it will be well worth it when it is over. I have heard that the first three days are the worst and it gets easier once you make it past that.

Come back and vent and let us know how you are doing as you progress on this journey. Joy

Are you getting plenty of protein? If not, you will be sluggish and starving and have NO energy. Talk to your team!

Welcome Becca!

I hope you don't take this wrong, but I had to laugh when I saw the title to your thread because I thought to myself, she must be on day 4 of the pre-op liquid diet. Yes this is normal. It should get better in a couple of days. I was very irritable and could of poked someone in the eye just for breathing loud. I also got very fatigued. But I had low potassium. I didn't know it until right before I was to head into the OR. Everything worked out.

As far as the pre op liquid diet, everyone isn't treated equal. Some people get to have a small meal once a day, some don't even have to do it, the list of foods some can have varies from doctor to doctor. I had the real protein shakes and I liked them. I can't even get near them now. I got a new brand that is working much better. I would just follow your instructions. The moodiness goes away with each day. And so does the hunger.

You are doing excellent thus far, the 13th will be here before you know it!

Thanks SO much everyone! No, I am not allowed anything for two weeks except these Carnation drinks and water- no jello, no broth, none of my good protein shakes, no tea (even decaf). Quite strict- I know. But really, it is refreshing for me to hear you all "know" that I am on day 3 or 4 and that this is common. I appreciate your encouragement. I am certain I am getting only the minimum protein because I have added it up and it is so much less than I was getting prior to this 14 day liquid diet. I may have to "sneak" one of my regular protein shakes in the get me through the hump.. until the next one. Keep posting thoughts if there are others out there who know about this strict version of the pre-op diet. I'm so happy to find this site! Becca

They are trying to defat your liver so Carnaton Breakfast. I can tell you I was starved the first day, and when I drank Carnation it was nasty compared to the other Protein drinks I have been drinking. EAS Carbo Control I find tolerable, and there is Body Fortress at Walmarts and I bought Cookies and Cream or something like that and it is tasty. I would never tell you to go against your doctor's advice but..................
IF you are pretty obese it may be they feel you can get through the two weeks and have a defatted liver but you want to have strength to get through it all!!!!
You could call your nutritionist and see if they will allow you to add gelatin to make your drink thicker and more filling.

Welcome Becca, I haven't had my surgery yet, so I can't imagine what you are going through. Stay strong, this too shall pass.

Liquid diet will get easier. I did the 14 days before as well but was able to do regular protein powder. I used Jay Robb whey protein mix...high protein, no sugar...tasted really good. I would add up your protein totals and check with your surgeon. Maybe suggest another protein shake option...

Hi Becca, Welcome. I had my surgery some time ago, but I do remember what you are going through, the two weeks will pass quickly and you will be checking in to the hospital before you know it, keep doing what your doing you will do fine. :cool: Tom

Hi Becca, I to am on the pre-op diet. My surgery is Dec 14th. I am allowed to eat small meals but have to drink 3 protein shakes a day. I get a little hungry but not to bad. I would definately talk with your nutritionalist and see if there is anything else you could have. Best of luck to you. Time will fly by.

Back