• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Help lost my motivation

donnayork

Ok, I just need some advise or encouragement from some of the long timers out there. I go for my 9 month check up tomorrow, an in the past 3 months I've only lost 6 lbs. my weight loss has stopped. Which is all my fault. I twisted my ankle an couldn't walk or run for two weeks then got a bad cold that took me down for another week. Since then I just can't find the motivation to start back. I will one day then not any more. I really don't want to go to my appointment cause I feel like I'm letting everyone down by not getting to my goal yet. I'm not far away at all but am so afraid that I have hit my wall an no matter what I do will change it. I never ever want to go back to the way I was. I was so excited about getting to my goal an now I dread each day being stuck. I'm sorry but it just sucks. Has any of you hit the wall an then finally had a break thru. Please I need to know that I'm not done. I can't be done.

I understand how you feel. You seem to have done so well and you can get back on it. Some people have advised going back to a liquid diet for a week will get you going. As for motivation.... Why did you get the surgery? Perhaps writing down the reason/s will help. How is your health? Is it any better? Do you want to live longer than you would have at 266?

I so admire you for getting so close you your goal. Please, keep up the good work and KEEP you doc appointment. You are not the only one to go thru this and perhaps he can help.

Good luck

Congratulations for losing over 100 pounds in less than a year. What an accomplishment! Please keep your doctors appointment. Sometimes being held accountable helps with motivation. But I'm betting you won't hear any criticism from them. You've done great.

Congratulations on your progress thus far. You are not done unless you want to be. It doesn't sound like you want to be yet. What has worked for me is to establish a plan and just do it. I realize i won't always want to, but I hold myself accountable. I sometimes stumble, but get up and start again. I treat myself with kindness and don't have negative dialog (most days) about what I should be doing. I know what works. You know what works. In the beginning it seems easier to stay motivated. My experience has had ups and downs. Now that I have been at maintenance for 4 months I am settling in and figuring out what works. Please go to your doctor's appt. This is your journey and the extra support will help.

I haven't had my surgery yet but, you have done such a wonderful job. You will make it through. Keep pushing forward I know that it seems like it is all over but, it sounds like to me that you are not done yet just on pause. The other's have given wonderful advice and I think there is an answer in there for you. I hope that you do go to your appt they will give you a great report. Keep us posted.

Ok, I just need some advise or encouragement from some of the long timers out there. I go for my 9 month check up tomorrow, an in the past 3 months I've only lost 6 lbs. my weight loss has stopped. Which is all my fault. I twisted my ankle an couldn't walk or run for two weeks then got a bad cold that took me down for another week. Since then I just can't find the motivation to start back. I will one day then not any more. I really don't want to go to my appointment cause I feel like I'm letting everyone down by not getting to my goal yet. I'm not far away at all but am so afraid that I have hit my wall an no matter what I do will change it. I never ever want to go back to the way I was. I was so excited about getting to my goal an now I dread each day being stuck. I'm sorry but it just sucks. Has any of you hit the wall an then finally had a break thru. Please I need to know that I'm not done. I can't be done.

Oh my goodness!!! Lets look at the positive sides to this. YOU HAVE LOST 103 POUNDS. YOU ARE ONLY 18 POUNDS FROM YOUR GOAL.. THATS AWESOME!!!! So you only lost 6 pounds in 3 months, thats ok, better to lose 6 more pounds than gaining 6 pounds. I heard that weight loss slows down as you reach goal weight. You are still heading towards it, just your body is adjusting and it slowed its pace for awhile. I would give anything to be 18 pounds from my goal weight. Dont be sad, you will succeed!!! :cool:

Hey Donna, long time since we last chatted. You have done a fantastic job, nothing at all to be ashamed of. As others have already said, you're still losing weight and that's what counts. I'm about six pounds from my goal and it's been a few weeks since I've made any progress, but I'm ok with that. I'm happier, healthier and skinnier than I was in High School 40 years ago.
Motivation is a funny thing it's a hard thing to hold on to. Question, what was the straw that broke the camel's back? What made you decide to proceed with WLS? For me it was when my Grandson, 4 at the time, asked me to lay on the floor so he could practice mountain climbing. That was when I committed to this journey, now I keep a picture of him on my phone, as the background, so I see him every time I use the phone. It reminds me of why I am doing this and helps to keep me motivated. Find that motivation and keep a reminder with you, it may help you reconnect with your motivation, it does for me.

Frank

:cool:

Went to my appt. actually was down 9 lbs since my 6 month check up. Dr says I doing great an not to worry about the stall it will pass. Actually worked out pass 2 days so I'm getting back in the groove hope to see the scales move real soon. Thank you all for the kind words.

Oh donna, I am so happy you are feeling better about all this.

I have a real problem with this particular goal setting of weight.

I firmly believe there is too much emphasis of goal weight. There are so many other measures/benefits that are a result of having the surgery and yes losing the weight. You know that.

For example, how many meds have you discontinued?

How about the sweeling in your legs? Is it all gone?

How about no longer needing a CPAP machine if you were using one?

How about the tremendous amount of energy you now have?

How about diabetes being normalized without meds?

How about?

Make the list of your measures.

How about the waistline? How many inches are gone.

How about all the compliments and support you are getting from friends and family.

Have I helped?

I hope so.

I have lost 50 pounds in 2 months. I was stalled over the last few weeks; so what. I knew it would resume and in fact it has this past week.

You will notice my goal is somewhere below 200. I based this on the general statistics of how much weight people lose in the year and a half post op.

Am I going to go crazy if I only get down to 201? Heck no.

Even at 201 I will be a mean fighting machine! :)

Ralph

Sweetie you have lost 85% of your excess body weight in 9 months. That is fantastic. Don't let your mind get wrapped around the numbers. Try mixing it to confuse your body. Do low cal/low carb/high protein for 2 days and then high cal/high carb/high protein for a day and then back to low for 2 days. It will shock your body and not let it get used to what you are doing. Bodies get acclimated way too easy.

What is your exercise routine? If you do like treadmill then weights, try warming up, weights, cardio. Test out the different cardio machines. Take a class like zumba (fun fun and amazingly sweaty), yoga, burkam yoga (hot yoga).

Now that you are 85% I would start working on different goals like running a marathon or if you get on the treadmill keep track of your miles and see how long it would take you to walk across the country.

DonnaYork,
Oh my Goodness your still so new...take pride in what you have lost...your not letting anybody down either!! The weight loss is for you not anybody else...for you to feel better healthier and that sounds like your achieving that part of your goal! ;-) We all get stuck at some point...it happens in life as it happens in weight loss. I had Roux En Y Bypass in August of 2003...I've had my ups and downs. What I found to be the most helpful though was go back to the basics of what my Doctor told me to do and it's always helped. I was 264 pounds and in less than a year I was at my original goal of 118. I didn't like the way I looked I asked the doctor about putting more weight back on (how about that?!) I am now at 150 pounds and I feel terrific it was weird to have to re-evaluate my predicament but it was a good one. Everybody's weight loss is different. *Remember you can't afford the luxury of a Negative thought!♥ Hang in there you've only just begun to go on your new adventure!
Take Care Sweetie and Hang in There!
Cheers! Ed

Back