• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Help me..im scared i cant do it.

Hello, im 55 and weigh about 255 lbs. Where i work has started a pilot program for bypass. I haven't actually started the process yet other than a phone call with my case manager. I have been overweight all my life and now struggle with walking or doing anything mobile. I work from home and sit all day. I wake up thinking what will i eat, i have always been this way. Im so scared to think of surgery (never had surgery not even children) but im also scared i cant eat accordingly before and after the surgery. Im married and want to do things with my husband. Please help with any news u can share with me. Thanks!!!

Hi,I am 66 and am tired of not being able to walk 15 minutes at a time.I want to travel with my husband of 48 years.My surgeon promise me I will be in the ocean again without being knock down. I lost my wedding band in the ocean when a wave knock me down I was embarrassed because I needed help getting out of ankle deep water. Yes ,I am scared but I have a great support people.

Hello, im 55 and weigh about 255 lbs. Where i work has started a pilot program for bypass. I haven't actually started the process yet other than a phone call with my case manager. I have been overweight all my life and now struggle with walking or doing anything mobile. I work from home and sit all day. I wake up thinking what will i eat, i have always been this way. Im so scared to think of surgery (never had surgery not even children) but im also scared i cant eat accordingly before and after the surgery. Im married and want to do things with my husband. Please help with any news u can share with me. Thanks!!!
I'm glad you found this group, welcome. Honestly, the surgery itself is the easy part, the lifestyle change is where most of us struggle. I see our member, Badgy advised you to start a list of pros and cons, I think this is a great suggestion.

I've had great success with surgery, my only regret would be that I didn't do it sooner. I let too much of my life pass me by while I was struggling and unhappy with myself.

Good luck with your decision. :)

WELCOME dakota and hey there mezzo. We all had fear before surgery, in varying degrees. But they knock you out so hard in the hospital, the worst thing is the IV placement, or if you get one, the heparin shot administered into your abdomen. The surgery itself is a breeze and it's only after surgery you will have any complaints at all.

If you feel uncomfortable after, just stay in bed when you need to but make sure you do a little walking around the house in order to allow the gas the surgeon pumped into you to escape. It hurts more than surgery! The gas has nowhere to go but out through muscle and tissue, so it's a big ache for a few days until it leaves you.

There's nothing to fear unless you go to a surgeon who doesn't know how to perform a bariatric procedure. The technique has been perfected over years. The toughest part is re-learning how to eat. And in a way, your own body might take care of that for you, as you may feel nauseated at the thought of something you might have craved in the past.

There is a part of your stomach that sends the hunger signal to your brain, and another part where digestive enzymes are manufactured. For many people, these parts are removed or made much smaller, so you don't have the crazy appetite you once had, and your digestion mostly happens after your stomach empties.

I say GO FOR IT, and follow you surgeon's instructions to the letter. Also make sure there's a nutritionist attached to your surgeon. This is a team like salt & pepper and you cannot succeed without them both.

In this group I've only encountered one person who wished she'd never had the surgery. And I think she changed her tune after having second thoughts in the group. For everyone else, it was a necessary life-saving procedure. How else are you going to lose the weight you need to lose? Most people just keep going on diets, but you can go on 20 diets and the weight will never go away. For some of us, surgery IS the only option.

We'll always be here for you and personally, I can't remember having pain after the surgery except for nerve pain from one part of the staple line where they closed me up. I had that for years and it was awful in the beginning. But it was just the luck of the draw that day and I've never heard anyone else say they had it chronically.

hi, let me tell you a little about me. I'm 68, I weighed 350 when I started this progress in August last year and had my surgery January 7 of this year . Today I weighed 285. It is so much easier to get out of chairs, and just get around. It is wonderful to walk into stores and find clothes I can wear. And the more I lose the more choices I will have. My wife and I celebrate our 48th. wedding anniversary next week and are planning on a trip doing things I could do a year ago because of my weight. the only limitations are how much I can eat when we go out to eat. I don't regret having this surgery one bit. Believe me having it will only make your quality of life better

Good morning Rmezzo and Dakotabear. What a coincidence! I just came in from walking the dogs to read the posts and share with everyone how scared I am. And there was your post on being scared. I am scared, too. For a whole lot of reasons, but not the actual surgery. Like it's been said, you're out of it while the work is being done.

I'm 72. I started this process once before at 52 and convinced myself I didn't need it that I could continue to lose on my own. Not. I'm scared I'm going to fall back on that lame excuse again. I'm also scared that some surgeon is going to tell me I'm too old. I'm also scared I'm so old my body won't heal properly.

I'm coming up on my 6 months of pre-op next week and have only the H. Pylori test to finish to be ready for surgery. I'm scared the insurance company will decide they're not going to cover the cost. Or worse yet, they'll tell me I'm doing so well losing weight that I don't need the surgery. I've been trying to eat like I will after surgery so I've dropped 20 pounds this last 6 months. But anything works for 6 months. I'm scared they're going to make me forgo surgery and then I'll just start eating again.

I'm scared that post surgery I'll not be able to follow the regimen and end up right back where I am now. In support group last night there were some people who were over a year post surgery and they had gained a significant amount of weight back and were trying to get back on program. I'm so scared that will be me.

But then I remember the right knee that's giving me grief. And having difficulty with my lower back. And not being able to tie my shoes. And having to make sure the chair I'm going to sit in is wide enough for me. And not looking frumpy when I get dressed up to go out. And not having to take Metformin. And not having to pack around 100+ pounds when I walk the dogs. And did I mention not dressing like I'm a stuffed potato?

In one way or another, I am sure all of us have been scared but we've also been excited to start this journey.

~ Lois aka Wwwindy

thanks, Lois and congratulations on hanging in there this time. This is really a safe surgery and you will achieve your goals if you follow the eating plan afterward. thanks for assuring others by sharing the fears you also have. that's generous and brave of you. i wish you the best of life.

I was totally scared. I almost had an anxiety attack just making the phone call to the weight loss center. It was the scariest phone call I have ever made. It was also the best! Now I am on the journey, hoping to have bypass in August. This group is also an amazing outlet for concerns, venting, questions, and just about anything. I am only 37 years old. I’ve been struggling with my weight since I was 9 years old. I have chronic joint pain, fatty liver, and prediabetes. I am done with all of that. I want to LIVE! I refuse to sit on the sidelines in pain anymore. This is a scary hard path, but you can be successful once you decide its what you want.

Dakota,
I have been successful since my surgery and I still wake up wanting something to eat and I do eat but only what I should eat!! It's not that bad in fact it's really wonderful to eat be full with such a small amount of good tasting food and then see the positive results! The surgery part is fairly easy I'm sure you will be fine!! Do it I guarantee it will change your life for the better!!

Good morning Rmezzo and Dakotabear. What a coincidence! I just came in from walking the dogs to read the posts and share with everyone how scared I am. And there was your post on being scared. I am scared, too. For a whole lot of reasons, but not the actual surgery. Like it's been said, you're out of it while the work is being done.

I'm 72. I started this process once before at 52 and convinced myself I didn't need it that I could continue to lose on my own. Not. I'm scared I'm going to fall back on that lame excuse again. I'm also scared that some surgeon is going to tell me I'm too old. I'm also scared I'm so old my body won't heal properly.

I'm coming up on my 6 months of pre-op next week and have only the H. Pylori test to finish to be ready for surgery. I'm scared the insurance company will decide they're not going to cover the cost. Or worse yet, they'll tell me I'm doing so well losing weight that I don't need the surgery. I've been trying to eat like I will after surgery so I've dropped 20 pounds this last 6 months. But anything works for 6 months. I'm scared they're going to make me forgo surgery and then I'll just start eating again.

I'm scared that post surgery I'll not be able to follow the regimen and end up right back where I am now. In support group last night there were some people who were over a year post surgery and they had gained a significant amount of weight back and were trying to get back on program. I'm so scared that will be me.

But then I remember the right knee that's giving me grief. And having difficulty with my lower back. And not being able to tie my shoes. And having to make sure the chair I'm going to sit in is wide enough for me. And not looking frumpy when I get dressed up to go out. And not having to take Metformin. And not having to pack around 100+ pounds when I walk the dogs. And did I mention not dressing like I'm a stuffed potato?

In one way or another, I am sure all of us have been scared but we've also been excited to start this journey.

~ Lois aka Wwwindy
You can do it. I am 62 and will be having mine done next month. It will only make us stronger!

WELCOME dakota and hey there mezzo. We all had fear before surgery, in varying degrees. But they knock you out so hard in the hospital, the worst thing is the IV placement, or if you get one, the heparin shot administered into your abdomen. The surgery itself is a breeze and it's only after surgery you will have any complaints at all.

If you feel uncomfortable after, just stay in bed when you need to but make sure you do a little walking around the house in order to allow the gas the surgeon pumped into you to escape. It hurts more than surgery! The gas has nowhere to go but out through muscle and tissue, so it's a big ache for a few days until it leaves you.

There's nothing to fear unless you go to a surgeon who doesn't know how to perform a bariatric procedure. The technique has been perfected over years. The toughest part is re-learning how to eat. And in a way, your own body might take care of that for you, as you may feel nauseated at the thought of something you might have craved in the past.

There is a part of your stomach that sends the hunger signal to your brain, and another part where digestive enzymes are manufactured. For many people, these parts are removed or made much smaller, so you don't have the crazy appetite you once had, and your digestion mostly happens after your stomach empties.

I say GO FOR IT, and follow you surgeon's instructions to the letter. Also make sure there's a nutritionist attached to your surgeon. This is a team like salt & pepper and you cannot succeed without them both.

In this group I've only encountered one person who wished she'd never had the surgery. And I think she changed her tune after having second thoughts in the group. For everyone else, it was a necessary life-saving procedure. How else are you going to lose the weight you need to lose? Most people just keep going on diets, but you can go on 20 diets and the weight will never go away. For some of us, surgery IS the only option.

We'll always be here for you and personally, I can't remember having pain after the surgery except for nerve pain from one part of the staple line where they closed me up. I had that for years and it was awful in the beginning. But it was just the luck of the draw that day and I've never heard anyone else say they had it chronically.
Good morning. Thanks for the encouragement!! Do u have any tips for drinking and eating (before and after surgery)? Thanks!

Hello. Do u have a list of pros and cons? Or were u suggesting i make a list? Thanks!!
I think if you make a list of pros and cons you can see why you’re doing this. My personal list would be
pro: less to no chronic pain, no more risk of diabetes, physical freedom, shopping anywhere for clothes, being more active, keeping up with my kids, more energy, less medication, better physical relationship with my husband, improved body image, role model for my children, not feeling disgustingly overfilled from eating too much

cons: temporary pain from surgery, taking a break from foods I enjoy (but they’ll be reintroduced when the time is right), no wine for a year

So really, all of my cons are temporary-none of them last forever, but my pros will be always. For me it’s a no brainer, but everyone is different! You have to make your own list and figure out what’s best for you.

Back