• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

HELP

tgal0218

I had the surgery at my heaviest at 217. I know what you're thinking...that isn't that havy compared to others. But with it came a lot of health problems.

So after several attempts of weight loss and only losing 10lbs for a 3 month stretch I decided to learn more about surgery.

Niavely, I thought if I could just eat less I would lose. Well we know I set myself up for sadness and depression.

I was down to 176 and gained 20 lbs back but still never lost what thought I would in the first year.

My therapist said go on Facebook. There are support groups. You can’t do this alone. So, I put myself out there on a facebook group for bariatric patients and what did I get? Not support. People criticizing me for losing so little. However, someone on there mentioned talking to my surgeon for a revision. Does anyone know what this entails?

I am hoping to not only get actual support from this post but maybe find someone that can relate to me and my struggles and possibly find someone I can do this “with”. My husband is supporting me with what I need but he has never been fat.
I was a skinny child and then got heav in early adulthood. So I know what it feels like to be 130lb and I am incredibly sad I took this route of surgery and am not anywhere close to where I want to be.

Heartbroken and sad...

Hi Tgal, I am so sorry that you have gotten so many negative comments on the Facebook support group you were in but I am glad you found us and I do feel you will find this group to be a supportive and caring place.

I am going to ask a few questions because that might help us help you better.

1) You mentioned revision, which surgery did you have and how long ago? And have you spoken to your surgeon or his team about your struggles?

2) Do you track you food intake? Do you know how much protein you are getting daily? How many calories you are taking in?

3) Do you make sure you are getting 64 ounces of water, minimum?

I originally had lapband surgery about 10 years ago where I lost weight but ran into some problems and then regained. I can relate to those feelings of heartbreak and sadness, I have been there. I decided to have a revision from the lapband to the sleeve last year. I knew this time around I had to make changes and for me it was working on the inside as well as the outside. I take time every day to make this happen. Some days are harder than others but it has made a huge difference for me this time around. There is a YouTube channel I follow called MyLevel10Life and it has helped me tremendously.

Looking forward to getting to know you better and seeing how we can help you best. Welcome to the group!

Thank you for your reply. I had the surgery in 2019 and I had the sleeve gastrectomy. I just sent a message to my surgeon asking what the revision all entails because I just don’t know. I am in such a depression that I haven’t been tracking anything, I know I don’t get on my water in, and I definitely don’t get all my protein in. I’m hoping with some support I’ll be able to change these habits. I just can’t keep doing this alone even though I do have my husband to support me. He has never been fat so he has no idea what I’m going through.
I have been working with a braitrician for several months and I see a therapist on a regular basis. I know changing my mental aspect is going to be huge for me. I truly just have to find the internal desire to start and stay with this lifestyle change.

Just start by keeping track of what you eat and how much you drink for say 2 days then start on day 3 with say having a full glass of water in the morning when you get up then wait a 1/2 hr and get some protein then your 1/2 hr or longer and have some more fluids. You get the idea. My surgeion told me they may be days were you don't get as much protein and more liquid or the other way and that is fine as long as your not like way off unless your sick with something. I hope this helps you. Good Luck and prayers!

I’m sorry about your struggles and lack of support when you reached out. While people potentially can eat whatever they want after bariatric surgery, it doesn’t mean they should, but I feel like I’m not giving you new information. I’m also not trying to disparage you. You made the commitment to better health through bariatric surgery, but the honest question is did you think it would fix everything? Again, not trying to give you a hard time. One of the things that took me a long time, and part of the reason I waited so long to have the surgery is because I wasn’t mentally prepared for the surgery. What kind of counseling did you have before the sleeve? Insurances and surgery centers are all different, and they all require different things, so some have only 1 appointment. The easy thing to say is stop bringing those foods into your house, but that’s so much easier said than done for most of us struggling with food addiction. This path is incredibly difficult, and I applaud you for your original decision and this one to seek support again. I think you are on the right path for the help you are wanting.

I can relate to your frustration and sadness! I went into the surgery with high hopes and high expectations then in a few months it went downhill. My "honeymoon period" lasted all of 3 months. I knew it was over when I woke up one day with intense hunger and cravings. Anyway 3 years later after gaining back 25 pounds I think I have learned that this is still a struggle and will probably always be a struggle for me. So a few weeks ago I set about making 1 change each week - drink more water, then exercise "x" number of minutes each day, then eat more protein, and am now trying very hard to eliminate sweets. It is soooooo hard. Thanks for allowing me to share and I look forward to getting to know more about this group.

Angela

I can relate to your frustration and sadness! I went into the surgery with high hopes and high expectations then in a few months it went downhill. My "honeymoon period" lasted all of 3 months. I knew it was over when I woke up one day with intense hunger and cravings. Anyway 3 years later after gaining back 25 pounds I think I have learned that this is still a struggle and will probably always be a struggle for me. So a few weeks ago I set about making 1 change each week - drink more water, then exercise "x" number of minutes each day, then eat more protein, and am now trying very hard to eliminate sweets. It is soooooo hard. Thanks for allowing me to share and I look forward to getting to know more about this group.

Angela
Welcome to our group Angela. Sorry to hear of your struggles. I like how you are doing 1 change each week. It is hard but worth it.

Well today was a shit show. Four mini muffins, peanut butter and jelly, some Cheetos, and some peanut M&Ms. Not really a bariatric diet today is it?
Aww, Tgal. That sucks. You eat and then you feel bad about yourself. Then you eat more to feel better/cheer up; then feel worse about yourself. I remember that when I used to go a diet, the second I ate something I wasn't supposed to have, I was like "well, today is shot" and the rest of the day became a free for all. My nutritionist said that's just a lie we tell ourselves. The entire day does not have to be shot. You don't have to make it worse than it already is. I really think that was the most important thing she said to me. Maybe mini muffins won't lead you to your best bariatric day, but the don't have to lead you down into your worst either. Also, really, get those foods out of the house. You wouldn't keep a full bar in the house with a struggling alcoholic, so your family needs to understand that right now, at least for a while, you need to be able to avoid certain foods.

I had the surgery at my heaviest at 217. I know what you're thinking...that isn't that havy compared to others. But with it came a lot of health problems.

So after several attempts of weight loss and only losing 10lbs for a 3 month stretch I decided to learn more about surgery.

Niavely, I thought if I could just eat less I would lose. Well we know I set myself up for sadness and depression.

I was down to 176 and gained 20 lbs back but still never lost what thought I would in the first year.

My therapist said go on Facebook. There are support groups. You can’t do this alone. So, I put myself out there on a facebook group for bariatric patients and what did I get? Not support. People criticizing me for losing so little. However, someone on there mentioned talking to my surgeon for a revision. Does anyone know what this entails?

I am hoping to not only get actual support from this post but maybe find someone that can relate to me and my struggles and possibly find someone I can do this “with”. My husband is supporting me with what I need but he has never been fat.
I was a skinny child and then got heav in early adulthood. So I know what it feels like to be 130lb and I am incredibly sad I took this route of surgery and am not anywhere close to where I want to be.

Heartbroken and sad...
I've done all the steps but my surgery is not scheduled yet. My story is similar to yours. I was skinny (108 lbs) until I was 22. Then for various reasons my weight kept going up. I am now 211 lbs. and I also worry about the surgery working like I think it should. Which surgery did you have?

Hi everyone. I have to confess something. Got to get it off my chest. I think I can win the award for the oldest person to have the sleeve. I was 69 when I was sleeved and now 3 years later I am still struggling. It kinda ticks me off quite frankly. Before I get on a rant I would like to say that I am so glad that I had the surgery even if I never lose another pound. My pre-surgery weight was 232 and I got down to 192. Now I am at 216-ish. But I no longer have to take insulin, my metformin was cut in half, my blood pressure medication was cut by 75% and my cholesterol lowering med was also reduced. Color me happy! I would still love to lose weight and maybe be able to wear a size 14 - 16 again, but we shall see.

I have a big questions to ask? Does everyone keep food logs? I have never been faithful with this even though I know it would help. It feels punitive to me and I think it just kept me in "diet" .mode when I am really after changing habits. Just curious. Hope your day has been good.

P.S. I hate dieting!!

Hi, welcome to our group! I'm 66 and had the sleeve last June. There are more seniors getting WLS than you think! That's good to know that you don't have to take insulin any longer and you have gotten other health benefits as well.

Yes, I do keep a log of what I eat. I actual have a steno pad that I use but then I also use the Baritastic App as well. I track my protein, water and total calories but I don't track carbs though many people do. I just feel that if my protein goals are met I am not really getting many carbs in and what carbs I do get in are the healthier carbs. I rarely eat bread and rarely eat pasta. I really don't think of this as a diet but look at it as a lifestyle change.

Anyway, glad you joined us. Feel free to ask as many questions as you can come up with!

Thanks for the inspiration. I don't know why I am so reluctant to log my food other than it has always set me up to fail (my own thoughts). I am dusting off some recipes that I have always meant to try and I am wondering if you could help me with some protein ideas. I live alone and tend to eat the same stuff over and over. I freeze a lot to have something ready but I am most certainly get in a rut. Also, has anyone had problems with foods making them nauseous? I still have that issue with almost all proteins. One whiff and yuk. But I kind of hold my nose and start chewing.

Thanks for the inspiration. I don't know why I am so reluctant to log my food other than it has always set me up to fail (my own thoughts). I am dusting off some recipes that I have always meant to try and I am wondering if you could help me with some protein ideas. I live alone and tend to eat the same stuff over and over. I freeze a lot to have something ready but I am most certainly get in a rut. Also, has anyone had problems with foods making them nauseous? I still have that issue with almost all proteins. One whiff and yuk. But I kind of hold my nose and start chewing.
I haven't experienced nausea like you are describing. Are you able to tolerate protein powder? I'm just wondering if it would help using the powder as added protein to some foods you are eating. Maybe it would be a good idea to consult a bariatric nutritionist.

Hi, Anjla. I log everything and the second I start slacking, I start having problems. I'm sure it does not have to be that way, but for me personally, it's the only way I truly hold myself accountable. My cousin had the sleeve and she does not log or track or weigh or measure anything. She can eyeball apprx. what amount she can eat and that's what she eats. My own surgery has left me less restricted/sensitive, so guess-timation isn't an option for me at this time.
There is a recipe forum on here that actually has a lot of recipes, but it takes forever to scroll through. But if you prefer ground turkey for example, you could search for that. If you have a preference, share it. I'd be happy to share some of my recipes, I do cook for more than one, but a lot of my recipes are freezer friendly and they are all pretty simple. If I see 15 ingredients, it's not going in the rotation!!

What works for me in making my own meals and freezing in the perfect portion are Souper Cubes. They come in all sizes and have tiny ones to 2 cup ones. I use the 1 cup (looks like an ice cube tray with 4 big 1 cup measurements) and that is a perfect portion for me to defrost and eat being 7 months out. But here's the cool part. You only need 1 set of them because it has a half cup fill line too. It comes with a lid and you freeze them overnight. Then remove them from the tray frozen and pop them in a Ziplock freezer bag, label and date it and you are all set. Now you only need to defrost one cube at a time! You can even bake in these, though I haven't tried that yet. (They are also available on Amazon - not cheap but worth it!)

Back