• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hepatic vein obstruction (AKA Liver Blood Clot)

llsbbsmama

Anyone ever have/know of someone who has had a blood clot of a major vein from the liver after gastric bypass surgery (roux-en-y)? If so, can you give me information on what has transpired since the diagnosis?

I had my drain removed on Wednesday (3/27) and felt pretty ok after. On that Friday I progressed to pureed foods and had some applesauce in the morning with my meds. I felt pretty bad after but thought it was my new stomach getting used to food again, but I couldn't eat anything else the rest of the day). By Saturday midday I was to the point that even drinking sips of water (cold, room temp, & warm) hurt my stomach so bad I was crying. Finally that evening I called the surgery line and talked to the doc. His biggest fear was dehydration so he had me go to the ER to get IV fluids. Once there (took 3 hours to get in) they did some prelim exams and then decided (due to the pain areas) to do a fluoroscopy of my abdomen to see if I had any leaks. None showed up but they still couldn't figure out the pain so they decided to admit me and do a CT scan. For this scan I had to drink a liter of the dye/contrast stuff and that so was not possible ... I couldn't sip water let alone down a liter of this nasty stuff in 3 hours. Finally, when they realized I couldn't drink it that decided to just inject the contrast. The results were that I have a large blood clot on my liver. (This explains a ton of the pain because I was building up toxins in my entire gastro system.)

So I was kept in the hospital from that Saturday until Wednesday (they had to put me on blood thinners to try and break the clot up and then they had to ensure the level of meds was in the therapeutic range). BUT, I was released on injections of blood thinner for the next 6 weeks (minimum) then they will switch me to oral thinners for at least 6 months. Now, they are saying some of my tests show that I may have a clotting disorder and will have to be on thinners for the rest of my life.

I had to go back to the liquid only diet until 4/24/13 which means it won't be until June until I can actually eat "normal" foods again.

GAH...this is SOOOO not what I signed up for!!!! I wanted to lose weight to help my health but also because my back has two herniated disks but jeez, if I thought I would be going through all this extra pain and now this blood clot that could end up causing me another surgery (shunt or if all is terrible, a transplant) I would NEVER have decided to go through with this.

(pity party over) :(

I am so sorry for the complications you are having. It sounds like your doctors are working with you to restore your health. Having to start over with the food plan must be disappointing. Keep fighting you have been through a lot, but you are still here. Use this forum for additional support. Sending healing energy your way.

I am sorry for all the problems you are having. Sending lots of positive energy your way. Keep coming here, we care. Let us know how you are doing.

Frank

:cool:

Back