• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Here i go again

teri

Having Bariatric surgery for the second time May 1st ! In 1st surgery, after about 11 mo. my stomach grew back together & i put back on all weight i'd lost ! Wondered if this had happened to anyone else ? I need any tips anyone would be willing to share.

Hello and Welcome, Teri,

I've never heard of this happening.

Please tell us more. What type of surgery are you scheduled for in May? Will this be the same surgeon as your first surgery?

What type of surgery did you have the first time? How long ago was it? How much weight did you lose, then gain? What did your surgeon have to say about this?

If anyone here has had a similar experience, I feel sure they'll let you know. We're a friendly bunch here and offer suggestions and advice freely.

Best of luck to you!

Thank you so much for replying ! Makes me feel like i will do better this time if i'm around others that have had gastric bypass! My 1st by~pass was a Roux~en~Y & i had to travel quite a way out of the area to have it done. I lost about 90 lbs, in about 11 mo. ...... then i started feeling hungry again, just like i had never had the surgery. It didn't take me long & the weight started coming back. I never called the surgeon , i was embarrassed. We just recently got a surgeon in my town that does the by~passes, I made an appointment, he did a scope on me & thats when i found out my stomach had grown back together ! Dr. said it was as if i had never had the surgery ! So glad i found this web sit !! Just telling you my little story & i feel great! So thank you so much ! teri

Teri-Welcome to the forum. Which surgery did you have that allowed this to happen? Since gastric bypass (RNY) requires complete seperation of the pouch from the remaining stomach and both are stapled shut I don't know how this could possibly happen. Maybe you could provide us with more detail.

In any event good luck on your surgery. Make sure to keep us posted on your progress.

It sounds to me like you have stretched your pouch and created a larger stomach. This happened to the Nurse Manager at my Center and she had to have corrective surgery. It can happen with RNY, Sleeve, and Band according to my surgeon. Every surgeon handles it differently. They can go in a correct the problem altogether which is what you are having done (sounds like). Some will add a lapband which is what the Nurse manager I know had done, and there is another surgery they can do that makes your pouch smaller so you get back on track. Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing. Joy

Thanks Pat!

Teri-Welcome to the forum. Which surgery did you have that allowed this to happen? Since gastric bypass (RNY) requires complete seperation of the pouch from the remaining stomach and both are stapled shut I don't know how this could possibly happen. Maybe you could provide us with more detail.

In any event good luck on your surgery. Make sure to keep us posted on your progress.
Hi Pat~
I had a Roux~en~Y in 2002 & I have no idea how my stomach grew back together, my new surgeon didn't seem surprised ! He was encouraged by the fact that i did lose weight, so he feels i am a good candidate for a re~vision ! I am simply thrilled to be given another chance . May 2nd is my new date , & i can hardly wait ! Thanks for your support ! teri

Hi Dreamz64 !

Welcome and WOW! I too would like to know more!

Thanks, I feel so happy to have found this support group ! Any date set for your surgery ? I started the 'process' in Dec. of last year ~ I've jumped through ALL the hoops :) and i finally got a surgery date ! Next week, can hardly wait ! I've got more support systems in place this go round & i have a local Dr. My hopes are high ! Good luck to you, & thanks for replying to me :)

TERI-I found the following excerpt on the Internet and was absolutely astounded that this can actually happen:
..."Gastro-gastric fistula is where the stomach pouch grows back and re-connects to the bypassed stomach. This can occur as a consequence of a pouch leak, where the resulting local inflammation from the leak disrupts the staple line of the bypassed stomach where it lies next to the pouch. More often though, gastro-gastric fistula formation is a result of a less acute, slower process. Regardless the cause, gastro-gastric fistula allows food to pass from the pouch to the bypassed stomach, effectively partially reversing the Gastric Bypass. Revision surgery for this condition may consist of closure of the fistula, restoring the original surgical Gastric Bypass anatomy. Conversion to a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy based procedure is an option as well, especially if there are reasons other than mechanical failure to explain the patient's weight gain."

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/gastric-bypass-revision-surgery.html

I didn't doubt what you were saying I was just amazed that it could happen and wanted to learn more. I spent over 6 years doing research before I had my WLS and since I never came across this before I just had to learn more. Good luck with your second surgery and make sure to keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks pat!

TERI-I found the following excerpt on the Internet and was absolutely astounded that this can actually happen:
..."Gastro-gastric fistula is where the stomach pouch grows back and re-connects to the bypassed stomach. This can occur as a consequence of a pouch leak, where the resulting local inflammation from the leak disrupts the staple line of the bypassed stomach where it lies next to the pouch. More often though, gastro-gastric fistula formation is a result of a less acute, slower process. Regardless the cause, gastro-gastric fistula allows food to pass from the pouch to the bypassed stomach, effectively partially reversing the Gastric Bypass. Revision surgery for this condition may consist of closure of the fistula, restoring the original surgical Gastric Bypass anatomy. Conversion to a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy based procedure is an option as well, especially if there are reasons other than mechanical failure to explain the patient's weight gain."

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/gastric-bypass-revision-surgery.html

I didn't doubt what you were saying I was just amazed that it could happen and wanted to learn more. I spent over 6 years doing research before I had my WLS and since I never came across this before I just had to learn more. Good luck with your second surgery and make sure to keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks Pat ~ My new surgeon explained this whole thing to me , but i have to say you explained it alot better! I didn't know it was caused by a leak ! My insurance co will Not do any kind of re~vision, so that has been a big problem, Dr. is listing it as a fistula repair. Someone believes me !!!(besides Dr ) I feel validated !! :) :) Thank you for doing all that research ~ I'm new to the computer , I'm still finding out all the things i can do ! This chat rm has been a god send . I'll keep you posted . *teri

Back