• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Here we go.

rufuswd

Knife minus 15. Scheduled for gastric bypass at 0800 on the 24th at Rockwood Clinic in Spokane. Start liquid diet Monday. I'm not looking forward to that and I miss my chew. O well. You gotta do what you gotta do. The end result will be worth the hassel. Anybody in this area? Good luck to all. Chuck

Knife minus 15. Scheduled for gastric bypass at 0800 on the 24th at Rockwood Clinic in Spokane. Start liquid diet Monday. I'm not looking forward to that and I miss my chew. O well. You gotta do what you gotta do. The end result will be worth the hassel. Anybody in this area? Good luck to all. Chuck

Hi Chuck :)

CONGRATULATIONS on your scheduled surgery!!! Your new healthier life is just beginning. Glad that you are joining us on our weight loss journey. :cool: It is a trip well worth the change in diet.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your surgery.

Cheyenne

Yes welcome and good luck.

You should get used to the liquid diet quickly. It does satisfy the hunger within a day or two. Everything quiets down.

If you must have something to chew on, talk to your nutritionist. Perhaps, a small salad made very conservatively would help.

Ralph

Can you chew gum? Good luck and Congratulations! Keep us posted were here for you.

Remember post op no more GUM!

If you accidentally swallow a piece of gum post op you could be dealing with a blockage. So, get all your chewing done before surgery !!!!

if you need to chew put the shake in a blender with ice and chew it up! Not whole ice make sure it is crushed or freeze it for a Popsicle treat. Yum

Congrats on setting the date

Second day of liquid diet. I lost .8lb already. LOL I've been chewing sugarless gum. It's NOT a suitable replacement for chewing tobacco. Thanks for the encouragement.

Try different brands of gum to find the texture that satisfys most. Realize that after surgery you shouldn't chew gum for a couple of months because your tummy is so small and inflamed from the surgery that every millimeter of space needs to be dedicated to protein and fluids.

The reason you shouldn't chew gum for a few months is because gum stimulates the saliva in your mouth and then is swallowed, you don't want to fill your belly with spit you'll become nauseous, another lesson learned. The other reason is that some air is swallowed during chewing and will cause even more burping &/or flatulence than you'll have to contend with already not pleasant for everyone.

Most importantly remember why you are doing this and all this discomfort will pass sooner than you think. This is a challenging adventure that is guaranteed to be rewarding. So have fun and do it like you mean it.

I was allowed to chew gum prior to surgery, then 2 weeks from my out from my surgical date I realized I may as well get used to NOT chewing anything so I did not have an added stressor during the liquid and soft phase of my post surgical diet. Not to mention not chewing any gum after surgery..

It is not recommended for those of use who have had RNY / Gastric bypass to chew gum due to air swallowing associated with gum chewing.

The air will fill your ouch and cause discomfort and take up space needed for your protein and foods. Ask Ralph / Dancing Bear about burping and space when eating...

I cannot speak for those who have had the sleeve or what their surgeons advise, I can only speak from my surgeons advice and my experience.

I was allowed to chew gum prior to surgery, then 2 weeks from my out from my surgical date I realized I may as well get used to NOT chewing anything so I did not have an added stressor during the liquid and soft phase of my post surgical diet. Not to mention not chewing any gum after surgery..

It is not recommended for those of use who have had RNY / Gastric bypass to chew gum due to air swallowing associated with gum chewing.

The air will fill your ouch and cause discomfort and take up space needed for your protein and foods. Ask Ralph / Dancing Bear about burping and space when eating...

I cannot speak for those who have had the sleeve or what their surgeons advise, I can only speak from my surgeons advice and my experience.

Hi,

You are right. I am not sure about the chewing gum restriction with the gastric sleeve. Maybe they do not have this restriction. But, we have a lot of common issues between the two surgeries.

Talk about burping and space when eating. I still find that I am burping a lot. So, I slow down and even stop half way through my 3 ounces of protein and perhaps a few veggies. Then I come back to it later.

Some people are saying it is acid reflux; I am not sure. All I know as soon as I start to eat, the burping still starts. It is supposed to go away further down the track. I tried Prilosec for a few days but it didn't seem to change anything the burping happened anyway. This is what makes me think it isn't acid reflux. I Think I will try Prilosec again and stay on it for a couple of weeks to see if it has a good impact on reducing the burping.

We will see.

Ralph

Nope no gum. I miss it. I always have sugar free gum in my purse because my grand daughter loves to chew it. Congrats on your surgery day. It will be coming up very quickly. You are going to do great. Keep us posted of your progress.

Back