• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi Everyone I have a few ? about our protein shakes & intake amounts

hi I was recently told by a nurse practioner that I should drink the whole shake at one setting even if the protein powder I was using had 52 grams of protein in it, when using 2 scoops in a glass of skim milk. I told her I thought our bodies could only digest a small amount of protein at a time. she said"no" so you can get it all over with in one setting. HAS ANYONE ELSE BEEN TOLD THIS?????I was also told you can't stretch out your pouch, well I don't agree with that statement because I have known of others whom have had the weight loss surgery and gained back there weight they'd loss plus more. I quess I better find me that book called "book for dummies whom have had weight loss surgery. My surgeon's office didn't give me a book with answers to ? and when I ask a ? I got these kind of answers. I would appreciate hearing from others in this forum. Had mine done 6 months ago, still not at my goal weight but will continue to work on it daily. Thanks for taking time to read my ? and hopefully be able to give me some answers. thanks Donna (bigtallsis)

My book only recommends the equivalent of one scoop per serving, I think mostly because they want us eating 6 small meals, and taking in more than that would be too many calories for that plan. I have never thought to put two scoops in my shake. I think ultimately, they want us to be getting our protein completely from food. Oh, and you can stretch out the pouch, and/or increase the diameter of the stoma.

My understanding is to get it down anyway you can. We were told three meals a day. Personally if I can get down the 65 grams of protein during the day that's good enough, forget the veggies that's what the the vitamins are for. I can't stand the sight of protein shakes any more, so ground meats or baked fish are my preferences, the more protein dense the better. I can't handle chicken either. If it weren't for chili and spaghetti sauce without the pasta I'd starve.

Hi,

I have a lapband and I can only tell you what I was taught at my bariatric center. With a lapband we were taught to eat three meals and two small snacks. Each meal was to have about 20 Grams of protein and we were to choose a protien snack. Our shakes were not to be used instead of a meal and they recommended shakes of about 20 Grams. As it turned out for me, I do not tloerate food in the mornings so I do use a shake in the morning. When I asked why only 20 Grams of protein per meal I was told that our bodies cannot handle or digest or use more than 20 Grams at any one time so any extra was a waste. Now I do know people who had their RNY surgery at my center (very good friends in fact) and they use the high protein shakes of 42 Grams but I was not in their classes so I don't know the answer but even later at a support group where all types of surgery patients were in attendance we were told the same thing about 20 Grams of protein at a time so I assume it should have been the same for all types. Like I said I don't know the answer and I am just telling what I was taught by the staff at my center. Every center is different and every doctor believes they know what is best so within reason I believe it is best to follow what you were taught. Sometimes I go over on the protein. I don't tolerate pork, or steak and for some reason I don't do well with turkey but chicken and fish are great with my band. Ham is good too. I still do about one shake a day especially in the morning. Sometimes I can tolerate eggs and sometimes they don't sit well at all.

Regarding stretching your pouch, I was taught that you can definitely stretch the pouch and my doctor does a surgery to correct that. I know a lady who had her stomach "stapled" over 25 years ago. Our children were friends and her stomach did stretch and she gained quite a bit of her weight back again. I have lost touch with her as she moved away but you can stretch your pouch. That is why they want you to eat three or five small meals a day and eat healthy. It is also part of the reason they don't want you to drink with meals.

Back