• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Holy Sweet Tooth Batman!!

I had Gastric Sleeve in May 2013. One thing I have noticed is that unlike before surgery, I have a crazy sweet tooth. I have never really been crazy about sweets, I may have had a sweet tooth once in a blue moon until now. It seems like every day I find myself craving something sweet. Iam so confused where this craving came from or why suddenly I am craving sweets. Any ideas? Anyone else have htis problem?

I have had this problem too. I use to hate sweets especially cake but now I crave it all the time I don't give in but it is still weird.

No, I've never heard of that. What happens when you eat something sweet. Does the craving go away, or do you get sick?

I have heard of your appetite changing, I know mine did. I went from craving sweets to craving salty carbs instead. There are certain spices that you can use in your day cooking, that will help combat cravings for salty, sweet, and plain breads. Dr. Oz did a segment on them the other day. Might help to add those spices to curb the cravings.

Try this
one laughing cow cream cheese wedge mixed with some vanilla unjury. stuff it into some strawberry and it makes a yummy high protein still on the plan sweet, yummy, hits the spot treat. Can you tell I like the recipe. Of course I haven't had sugar in almost one year. 2/9/13 make one full year

Sometimes if I eat something sweet, yes it makes me sick especially if it is dairy based. Which is weird because I have never gotten sick from ice cream. I have learned that a jolly rancher is often times much better than trying to actually eat something sweet. It is a daily battle that I have not which is not one that I have ever experienced prior to surgery.

wow that sounds yummy! I will definately have to try that one. :) Congrats on your one year, how has the year gone? Have you reached your goal weight? Did you ever plateau?

Wow who would have thought that spices would help curb cravings. I will definately have to look into that. I used to crave salty carbs, now I can not even tolerate carbs now so I dont ever crave those, However I used to never crave sweets but now it is an every day occurence. :/

I haven't had cravings per say. Why? If I feel like having something "forbidden", I have it!

What I don't do is have a lot of it.

So, if I want ice cream one night ( I can tolerate it quite well) I will have it; say 1/2 cup. That is that. I planned for it. It is included in my 1200 calories per day and I thoroughly enjoy it little bite by little bite. I have just about mastered "savoring" the taste one small bite at a time stretched over a much longer amount of time than it used to take me to gobble down 2 cups of ice cream before I had my gastric bypass.

If I want a chocolate, I will have one maybe two small bites.

If I want a chocolate chip cookie, I will have it ONE !! Not a fist full of cookies like 5 or 6 like I used to.

Some will say that this could lead me down a dangerous path; I suppose. If I find I cannot keep everything within 1200 calories and still get my 80-90 grams of protein , then I would say STAY AWAY FROM IT!!!!

Ralph

Back