• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hospital stay

honeysgirl

I just got my official approval letter yesterday from my insurance. They approved one day at the hospital.
That sounds a bit scary to me having the bypass and the hiatal hernia repair.
Has anyone who had the bypass stayed just one night in the hospital?
Thanks, Mimi

I had RNY gastric bypass, hiatal hernia repair and a partial gastrectomy and I was in hospital for 5 days. The good news is I am now 2 months post op and I feel GREAT

I have lost 30lbs and can now walk around in a swimsuit with a smile on my face and not worry, and last week I wore a fitted pencil skirt and a peplum top to work and everyone commented how nice I looked.

I now have to work out how to build a bit of muscle as I am looking too skinny in some places! Unfortunately not all places lol.

I was extremely scared leading up to this surgery, and recovery was difficult, but I am now feeling better than I have in years!

Good luck

I had RNY gastric bypass, hiatal hernia repair and a partial gastrectomy and I was in hospital for 5 days. The good news is I am now 2 months post op and I feel GREAT

I have lost 30lbs and can now walk around in a swimsuit with a smile on my face and not worry, and last week I wore a fitted pencil skirt and a peplum top to work and everyone commented how nice I looked.

I now have to work out how to build a bit of muscle as I am looking too skinny in some places! Unfortunately not all places lol.

I was extremely scared leading up to this surgery, and recovery was difficult, but I am now feeling better than I have in years!

Good luck
NICE!! Congrats to you.
I love peplums. Oops, is that showing my age that I am glad they are making a comeback??
5 days? Yikes, that sounds like a long time. I was thinking at least two nights.

Thanks, Mimi

Are you having an open procedure or is it being done laparoscopically? I had an open procedure to do the same thing and I was in the hospital 3 + 1/2 days. I would not have wanted to go home any sooner than that because I had an open procedure with a 7-inch incision. That makes a big difference because they have to monitor the incision and later later remove staples. People who have laparoscopic procedures often go home the same day. But this is major surgery and you are going to want to be in the hospital, being taken care of, with that pain meds button stuffed in your fist all day!

Even if the insurance company only approved one day, your hospital stay will be determined by the medical team who observes you. You may stay longer. I think you probably should ask your surgeon in advance if one day of hospitalization will be enough. And again, it has a lot to do with the incision, or the lack of one.

But again, if it's open, this is a an incision right in the middle of your body, where you bend over, where you unfold and fold when you sit up, and you don't want to have to do a lot of moving when you're home on your own, even if you have someone to help you.

I think the longer you have help and attention in the hospital, the less you will hurt when you get home. But again and again, I really don't have any idea how this works if you have laparoscopic surgery. it might be a lot easier. it's very hard to compare.

What is your surgery date again?

Good luck

That is so awesome! I vividly remember when I was able to put on clothes that didn't look like I was wearing a circus tent! It is so wonderful to look stylish and pretty and to have other people tell you that.

A pencil skirt? Woohoo! Now just add some nice high heels and you'll be ready to strut down Fifth Avenue!

Even 12 years later, I still get excited about clothes, and I love looking in my closet and getting dressed up to go somewhere. So many years were spent in the size 20 section of the department store, that now, as much as possible, I wear the most flattering clothes I can get and I still love it. Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!

I just got my official approval letter yesterday from my insurance. They approved one day at the hospital.
Thanks, Mimi

Hi Honey - I had RNY and only stayed 1 night in the hospital. I was fine. They had said it would likely be 2 but I made all the effort it would take to be released after 1. Made sure I was up walking around the halls and as soon as allowed, started working on drinking water. I had laparoscopic surgery so I really was fine to go home. I just wanted my own bed. But if your doctors don't think that you're at a good point, I'm sure that they'll keep you and to hell with your insurance company.

I'm glad you got your approval, how exciting!

Good luck

How awesome to be wearing fitted clothes!!! I'm so happy for you. :)

I've never heard of that, was it for a medical issue?
This was my 3rd surgery in 18 months. I had hiatal hernia repair surgery go wrong twice, ended up with a very damaged stomach, dysphagia, gastro paresis and severe GERD. I had to sleep sitting up otherwise acid gushed up the back of my throat and into my ears. It was a last resort really. The surgeon decided to remove the rest of my stomach due to family history of stomach cancer (mum and her mum).

Are you having an open procedure or is it being done laparoscopically? I had an open procedure to do the same thing and I was in the hospital 3 + 1/2 days. I would not have wanted to go home any sooner than that because I had an open procedure with a 7-inch incision. That makes a big difference because they have to monitor the incision and later later remove staples. People who have laparoscopic procedures often go home the same day. But this is major surgery and you are going to want to be in the hospital, being taken care of, with that pain meds button stuffed in your fist all day!

Even if the insurance company only approved one day, your hospital stay will be determined by the medical team who observes you. You may stay longer. I think you probably should ask your surgeon in advance if one day of hospitalization will be enough. And again, it has a lot to do with the incision, or the lack of one.

But again, if it's open, this is a an incision right in the middle of your body, where you bend over, where you unfold and fold when you sit up, and you don't want to have to do a lot of moving when you're home on your own, even if you have someone to help you.

I think the longer you have help and attention in the hospital, the less you will hurt when you get home. But again and again, I really don't have any idea how this works if you have laparoscopic surgery. it might be a lot easier. it's very hard to compare.

What is your surgery date again?
It is not open but it just seems so big to me along with the hiatal hernia repair. Today I sent an e-mail and they said one day is all the insurance allows them to ask for and if more days are needed then the hospital will ask for more days.

This was my 3rd surgery in 18 months. I had hiatal hernia repair surgery go wrong twice, ended up with a very damaged stomach, dysphagia, gastro paresis and severe GERD. I had to sleep sitting up otherwise acid gushed up the back of my throat and into my ears. It was a last resort really. The surgeon decided to remove the rest of my stomach due to family history of stomach cancer (mum and her mum).

Oh wow, you've been through the ringer! I hope this surgery is the last one you'll ever have to endure.

Has anyone had zero nights in the hospital for a VSG? My surgery is upcoming 8/28, and there is no planned overnight stay in the hospital, they said it is outpatient barring complications because it is laparoscopic and I will be held for several hours post the 45 min procedure then released to stay in a hotel overnight near the hospital in the care of designated adult so I am not allowed to be alone, then back the next day for a checkup and IV fluids. From what I am reading on these forums this seems unusual, I admit I am a little concerned.

Thanks, Mimi
I had rny bypass, and gall bladder taken out. laprascopic, in oct 2018. I was in icu for 2 days, after, was breathing on my own. I guess I decided to just pull out the tube after two days, and smack the breathing doctors glasses off, although I don’t remember any of this. Lol was out of icu that 3rd day, then 1/2 a day after. So a total of 3.5 days. A lot of soreness for a week or two. I don’t take pain meds as a rule...I broke my rule for a week. It’s august 2019, I’ve lost 150lbs so far. I feel so much better. Life is good.

I ended up doing just fine with no nights in the hospital, I had no complications so I was pretty blessed in that regard. The gas pain was uncomfortable but I did a lot of walking which really helped. I'm 8 days out now and feeling great!

I ended up doing just fine with no nights in the hospital, I had no complications so I was pretty blessed in that regard. The gas pain was uncomfortable but I did a lot of walking which really helped. I'm 8 days out now and feeling great!
That is fantastic! Especially since you will be starting your new job soon, correct? How do you feel about going to work now? I wish you the best of luck :)

Back