• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

How are you guys handling new clothes & sizing?

LauraLeigh

When I started trying to lose weight, I barely fit into a 5X. :( By the time I realized that my body had gotten smaller, my 3X were starting to be too big. So, my Mom gave me some hand me downs and I'm finding that I'm wearing clothes in 3 sizes. I know clothes vary in size depending on cut, fabric and even manufacturer/designer, but I have a couple of XLs that are too big and yet, I have a couple of 2X that fit just right. Today I'm wearing an XL t-shirt and it fits greats. My boyfriend tells me that I have a habit of wearing clothes that are too big for me, but I'm just not really comfortable in anything fitted. Especially in the tummy area which is taking longer to shrink than the rest of me.
I was thinking of visiting a consignment shop not too far from where I live (I need a few staples to get me through this period of weight loss; my pants are falling as I walk and my shirts are slipping off my shoulders), but I'm honestly not sure what size I really am and I'm afraid to part ways with my bigger clothes.

You must get rid of the clothes that are too big for you. You will never wear them again.
The clothes thing is hard. I'll wear the bigger stuff until it starts to look sloppy, then it goes to Goodwill. I've had to part with some nice clothes that weren't very old. I dropped from a 22-24 to a 12. I can wear my 16 pants with a belt, but IF I drop to a 10, the 16's will have to go.
I'm short, so pants have to be hemmed. If I buy something, they have to be hemmed quickly, or they may be too big by time I get around to it. Complaining, but I'm loving it!
I also discovered fabric tape that stops the drooping off the shoulder. I've gotten a lot more mileage out of blouses and tops with it.

When I started trying to lose weight, I barely fit into a 5X. :( By the time I realized that my body had gotten smaller, my 3X were starting to be too big. So, my Mom gave me some hand me downs and I'm finding that I'm wearing clothes in 3 sizes. I know clothes vary in size depending on cut, fabric and even manufacturer/designer, but I have a couple of XLs that are too big and yet, I have a couple of 2X that fit just right. Today I'm wearing an XL t-shirt and it fits greats. My boyfriend tells me that I have a habit of wearing clothes that are too big for me, but I'm just not really comfortable in anything fitted. Especially in the tummy area which is taking longer to shrink than the rest of me.
I was thinking of visiting a consignment shop not too far from where I live (I need a few staples to get me through this period of weight loss; my pants are falling as I walk and my shirts are slipping off my shoulders), but I'm honestly not sure what size I really am and I'm afraid to part ways with my bigger clothes.

I also was wearing a 5X as a matter of fact I had a couple of 6Xs at my heaviest. Now I bought 3 new tee shirts (one has sparkles on it), in a size 1X and they are loose on me. The only complaint I have is that the sleeves are a tad shorter than I wanted and my flabby arms show somewhat when I lift my arms up. My pants are also 1X and fit wonderfully although they are stretch waist but the pants hang nicely, not tight or binding at all. My short term goal is to get to a regular size 18, of course long term goal is a size 8-10. I recently gave a lot of my clothes to GoodWill, it was hard for me to do as I had a lot of favorite clothes that I was emotionally attached to for some reason however my shirts were like tents and my pants hung so low that I was tripping on them and one pair of pants actually fell down as I was walking and that was with a stretch waist band. I had a beautiful white leather Eskimo type coat with a furry inside I bought some years back but never wore cause I
felt like a big Polar Bear in it. Recently I tried it on and my sleeves hung down 6 inches past my hands and the shoulders hung half way down my arms. It totally drowned me. All the years I hoped to wear it when I lost weight so I wouldn't look like a big bear and it never occurred to me that it wouldn't fit at all. So off to GoodWill it went, too. Such problems, clothes too big, what will I do?? CELEBRATE of course. Hee Hee. Feels great!

Went to the Pulmonary doctor a couple days ago, he looked at me and said that there was so much less of me! That was a great feeling! I told him I stopped using my c-pap machine, I didn't feel I needed it anymore.The doctor sent me home with a machine to monitor my oxygen to see if I was breathing and had good oxygen when I slept without the c-pap. They called this morning and said all was well and I didn't need my machine anymore. I was breathing normal while I slept! :eek:. I saw my Cardiologist about a week ago and he was thrilled that I have done well. He was the doctor who originally talked me into having bariatric surgery. What a wonderful feeling to be able to climb up on the examining table easily. It makes my heart sing. :) The little daily victories mean so much to me.

Cheyenne

I too had trouble letting go of large and small. My weight would go up and down. I have sizes from 4X to 6. I felt great in my 6 but now back in a 10. Depending on what you are wearing and who made it to how it is cut can fill my closet from a size XL in fancy tops to L in men's graphic t shirts. I have 10 size shorts that I can move half way around me but a new pair of size 10 same manufacturing company these are a bit tighter . I order clothes from Hong Kong and in that area of course their sizing may say XL but in reality in the states it would be a medium. Just have fun watching those sizes go down and keep up the excellent work!!

Laura Leigh like you my belly is taking its sweet time, which is fine with me. My surgeon said once it goes it will be gone very quickly.

You may also want to look at Compression / Spandex Athletic wear such as Pants and shorts which will last several sizes. You can find them at Target, Wal Mart and other shoppes. Nice thing too is they keep the jiggle from jangling, ;)

As for tee shirts falling off the dhoulders, use a cute pin / brooch of some sort to gather the fabric on one shoulder into a nice pleat or gather and pin up the excess fabric.

Danskin has some really cute ones at Wal Mart... My first pair I bought were an XXL(18/20) which are now comfortably baggy on me but not to the point of sagging or falling off. I know they will be at the bad point of drooping and falling off within the next couple of weeks

I look at the closing out / going out of business sales sales and buy down a size or 2... I did that back in December when Cold Water Creek was going leaving our area. I picked up several pairs of jeans for 12.00 a pair in sizes 18, 16 and 14's. Needless to say the 18's are baggy as all get out in my thighs, calves and butt.

I am now buying a large / xl depending on cut and such in the juniors department at Target. I picked up a couple of cute sun dresses for under 20.00 each.

I have reached a point where I am thrilled to wear clothes that fit nicely and show off my new shape..

What ever you do get out of the habit of wearing baggy clothes.

It will help you to help your brain to get out of the FAT Brain thought process and mode.

Yes, sizes vary based on manufacturer. The key here is sizes are getting smaller for all of us. Yippeee

Cloths yes please!

As you drop sizes look at yourself in pictures not mirrors. I kid you not have someone take a picture of you when you don't know it. Front, back and side view pictures because it help with what is referred to as fat brain. Next look at the pictures as if they were someone else. The thing is someone took a picture of me walking and my statement was " I can't wait to be that size" duh it was me. Sometimes you need to see yourself like you truely are. It is weird when you don't recognize yourself in a picture but it is such an eye opener.

Cloths I have swarn off buying online. I wasted to much money. From now on I am shopping in the store and trying things on. Why, because it reminds me to stay away from the Woman section and makes me see that my size has dropped. Also, I keep three sizes in my closet, on that is a little big, current size and something I will wear in the future. Heads up you can change sizes every couple weeks at times and it is great to find an item that didn't fit is now fitting and looking good. Also, don't buy to many items in future size becase sometimes fat brain gets in the way and by the time you try it on again it is already baggy.

The one thing I can't get rid of is my old belt. It has wholes all the way around so it still fits. Well it still fits if having the thing wrap all the way around you and then back to a loop on the back side of your pants is considered fitting.
Good luck with this one. I have lost from a 3x or 30 t0 a medium size 10 and still when I shop go straight for the xl or xxl shirts, never fails.

Best wishes but seriously consider trying the picture thing it helped me big time

I've been doing a monthly full length, side view and face picture. It has been helpful, but my brain still doesn't realize my body is smaller. Every time I go to put on one of my smaller sized shirts, I think there's no way I'm going to fit inside of it. Along the same lines, I had the greatest experience today. I went to the art museum with my Mom and we grabbed lunch there. The only available table was a booth and I approached it with dread, praying I'd be able to squeeze myself inside. But when I sat down, there was a lot of extra room. My belly didn't even come close to touching the table. It sounds silly, but it was such a happy moment for me. Plus, we walked the entire museum and I only had to sit down once towards the end because my knees were sore. I
I've been drying my clothes on high heat, hoping to shrink them, lol. I've also started folding and stitching the waists of my old pull-on pants to buy myself a little more time with them.

I've been doing a monthly full length, side view and face picture. It has been helpful, but my brain still doesn't realize my body is smaller. Every time I go to put on one of my smaller sized shirts, I think there's no way I'm going to fit inside of it. Along the same lines, I had the greatest experience today. I went to the art museum with my Mom and we grabbed lunch there. The only available table was a booth and I approached it with dread, praying I'd be able to squeeze myself inside. But when I sat down, there was a lot of extra room. My belly didn't even come close to touching the table. It sounds silly, but it was such a happy moment for me. Plus, we walked the entire museum and I only had to sit down once towards the end because my knees were sore. I
I've been drying my clothes on high heat, hoping to shrink them, lol. I've also started folding and stitching the waists of my old pull-on pants to buy myself a little more time with them.

LauraLeigh, I also understand exactly how great it is to be able to fit in a booth at a restaurant. I went out to eat at Red Lobster for my birthday and I was so happy that I had loads of extra room in a booth. I used to always request a table so I would fit. We went to another restaurant a few days ago and the booth available was so tiny, I thought oh no, I'll never fit in it in a million years, but guess what, I did fit and it wasn't even tight! Isn't it just awesome? Life is great now and I can't imagine what it will be when I lose the rest of my weight. :)

Cheyenne

I have dropped a few sizes but, I can't wait til I am able to say the same things that all of you are saying. I am so pleased that my stomach does not touch the steering wheel anymore. I am also pleased that I can fit in a booth without my stomach touching the table. This is so awesome. I love reading all of your posts about all of your accomplishments. I learn so much from all of you. Thank you all.

TillieS

I had the RED Light epiphany sitting in a booth as well. I can now put 2 fists between the table and my tummy, :).. Doesn't that feel wonderful??? <3

I have a serious case of fat brain as well. My therapist and group leader have both said it can take up to 2 years before your brain catches up with your body size. That is why it is so important to wear clothes that fit reasonably well. Nothing to baggy or droopy.

As for elastic waist band pants make a snip in the band. draw the elastic out and stitch the elastic to gather the waist in. Only do this 3 times then buy a new pair..

LOL another epiphany for me was when I had to buy new panties.. I can use my old ones as an industrial sling shot now, LOL, Hell I could drop a tank with those things, ;).

I am now in a size 8 regular and it is pretty dang awesome. I am now in a 38 DD bra where I was in a 54 DD at surgery...

I am actually able to buy any bra I like which is awesome... Watch out lingerie shoppes...

I had the RED Light epiphany sitting in a booth as well. I can now put 2 fists between the table and my tummy, :).. Doesn't that feel wonderful??? <3

I have a serious case of fat brain as well. My therapist and group leader have both said it can take up to 2 years before your brain catches up with your body size. That is why it is so important to wear clothes that fit reasonably well. Nothing to baggy or droopy.

As for elastic waist band pants make a snip in the band. draw the elastic out and stitch the elastic to gather the waist in. Only do this 3 times then buy a new pair..

LOL another epiphany for me was when I had to buy new panties.. I can use my old ones as an industrial sling shot now, LOL, Hell I could drop a tank with those things, ;).

I am now in a size 8 regular and it is pretty dang awesome. I am now in a 38 DD bra where I was in a 54 DD at surgery...

I am actually able to buy any bra I like which is awesome... Watch out lingerie shoppes...

Hey there,

You are doing terrific.

Start listing your accomplishments like I do. Then sit back and read them once in awhile out loud to yourself.

It makes you feel good and it helps keep you going.

Ralph

Droopy underwear is definitely something in the unexpected department. LOL

After my surgery, I started frequenting Goodwill. Forget looking at the sizes. Hold the shirt or pants up, or try them on. If they feel comfortable, get them. I am like you, I hate wearing things that are fitted; I like the "free flowing" feeling. Keep working on training your mind to recognize the new you. It will happen, and little things, like fitting into a booth, are great milestones and they come more often as you keep going on with your journey.

I agree with the others. Get rid of the clothes that are too big! It's a great feeling. I donated mine to Goodwill and have done what the others suggested and just went through racks of clothes there and tried on many different sizes. I should note that my mother talked me into this. She used to take me shopping in high school and I'd go in a dressing room and she'd just keep bringing me clothes. I was athletic and skinny and of course, I never thought I was!! Once I got heavy, shopping for clothes was no fun and I mostly ordered stuff online. Trying stuff on was depressing. My mom couldn't have gotten a bigger kick out of watching me try on tons of clothes again going....yep, this fits, nope, this is too big! :) It was fun again! I also bought new smaller underwear and bras right away. Then I've gone to Wal-Mart for staples like plain v-neck shirts or camis in a few colors that I can wear with other things. My in-laws always want to give me gift cards to my favorite place at Christmas, so this year, I was able to buy some nicer clothes for work with that money. I know I will change in sizes again, but I feel like I've created a wardrobe that works for now without spending a fortune!

U guys are amazing! I have my consultation in two days and Im so excited. U give me hope and ideas. Thanku! Take care and God bless.

Back