• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

How did you tell your friends or loved-ones about your surgery? Did you?

Well I have told people close to me. I don't want to make it a public thing to everyone so if people ask I will say i did portion control(which techinically isn't a lie LOL) I just feel that people can be really judgemental and I didn't want anyone discouraging me.
I am right there with you. Made the mistake of telling a couple people who I thought would be supportive about it. I was so wrong and I couldn’t believe the bias. Easy way out my ass! They have no clue what it takes to go through the process and surgery and vitamins and everything else.

My cousin's wife had surgery the same time I did and we celebrated Thanksgiving a few months later.

My conclusion: DONT TELL.

for hours everyone was picking on her, monitoring her intake, so she was shaking visibly the whole time.

I didn't tell anyone but my son and best friend. To this day, no one else knows.

Here's the deal: you don't give a detailed story of what led up to your hysterectomy and you don't keep talking about it for years.

Anyone who ever starts talking about a surgery to me, I let out a little gasp and say "oh my God I forgot excuse me I need to take care of something and I run away.

Don't tell. They'll assume you want to discuss it 24/7 for the rest of your life.

At Thanksgiving I ringed my plate wit a tablespoon of everything. Then I smeared them around and took About 10 bites. I looked really busy Sono one bothered me

Attachments

• IMG_20201011_201448_429.jpg
    IMG_20201011_201448_429.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 53
My cousin's wife had surgery the same time I did and we celebrated Thanksgiving a few months later.

for hours everyone was picking on her, monitoring her intake, so she was shaking visibly the whole time.

I didn't tell anyone but my son and best friend. To this day, no one else knows.

Here's the deal: you don't give a detailed story of what led up to your hysterectomy and you don't keep talking about it for years.

Anyone who ever starts talking about a surgery to me, I let out a little gasp and say "oh my God I forgot excuse me I need to take care of something" and I run away.

Don't tell. They'll assume you want to discuss it 24/7 for the rest of your life.

At Thanksgiving I ringed my plate with a tablespoon of everything. Then I smeared them around and took About 10 bites. I looked really busy so no one bothered me.

Anyone who ever starts talking about a surgery to me, I let out a little gasp and say "oh my God I forgot excuse me I need to take care of something and I run away.

At Thanksgiving I ringed my plate wit a tablespoon of everything. Then I smeared them around and took About 10 bites. I looked really busy Sono one bothered me
You look awesome!

Hey friends!
I'm having the sleeve on June 1st and I can. not. wait!!!!!!!! I am so excited. I want to talk about it all the time - and there's the problem. I haven't told anyone besides my husband!
I feel like I want to tell my best friend because, well, she's my best friend and I know she cares for me and loves me - but I don't want to tell her because she's never struggled with weight and she can be a bit crunchy granola about things - which means me having a surgery would be the last thing she would do if that makes sense.
Should I tell her? How do I tell her? Do I tell other people when I start losing the weight or just keep it private? I'm honestly embarassed because there is already stigma about being heavy in the first place - and the biggest reason I am worried about telling people is I'm so scared if it fails. So worried about failing!
What did you guys do? Any advice? Thanks so much!
Your day is almost here. How are you doing on your liquid diet and are you excited?

Your day is almost here. How are you doing on your liquid diet and are you excited?
Thanks for asking! I know - it's in a week! Knowing that it's exactly next Wednesday sure made today a lot easier haha. I'm doing so much dang better. I mean, I hate it, BUT I've lost 11 lbs so far in only 7 days!
And my husband has been SORT of doing it with me. It kind of frustrates me when he tells me he's hungry because he's having 6 shakes (not 5 like me) as well as deli meat and eggs and peppers. I know I'm being a brat hahaha but this dumb liquid diet is so.....dumb haha. I'm kind of a grumpy mom too (my poor 4 kiddos) it's just the cooking all the meals ...they are so young so I have to do it. Today has been the easiest day though so far. Easiest for hunger, cravings AND energy. I think 7 days is my turning point, as opposed to 3/4 like other people
I can't believe that after the surgery it will be normal for me to live on only this many calories a day! Thanks so much for asking how I'm doing and sorry for the long response. I'm so excited.

Thanks for asking! I know - it's in a week! Knowing that it's exactly next Wednesday sure made today a lot easier haha. I'm doing so much dang better. I mean, I hate it, BUT I've lost 11 lbs so far in only 7 days!
And my husband has been SORT of doing it with me. It kind of frustrates me when he tells me he's hungry because he's having 6 shakes (not 5 like me) as well as deli meat and eggs and peppers. I know I'm being a brat hahaha but this dumb liquid diet is so.....dumb haha. I'm kind of a grumpy mom too (my poor 4 kiddos) it's just the cooking all the meals ...they are so young so I have to do it. Today has been the easiest day though so far. Easiest for hunger, cravings AND energy. I think 7 days is my turning point, as opposed to 3/4 like other people
I can't believe that after the surgery it will be normal for me to live on only this many calories a day! Thanks so much for asking how I'm doing and sorry for the long response. I'm so excited.
Just a few more days and it will have all been worth it! I know you think you’re being a brat lol, but you are inspiring me for when I go through it. I love it. Because as much as I want to try to be, I’m not going to be perfect at this either when it’s my turn and by sharing your journey with us these past few days it makes the whole thing seem less scary and overwhelming. Thank you!

Just a few more days and it will have all been worth it! I know you think you’re being a brat lol, but you are inspiring me for when I go through it. I love it. Because as much as I want to try to be, I’m not going to be perfect at this either when it’s my turn and by sharing your journey with us these past few days it makes the whole thing seem less scary and overwhelming. Thank you!
Thanks Mandy!

I just had my surgery on the 23rd, so a few days ago. I weighed 240 when I started the liquid diet and 220 on the day of surgery. I'm in the hotel now waiting for my flight tomorrow. First off, walk, walk, walk! You will need to walk to get rid of all the gasses they pump into your abdomen. Secondly, sip your water or it will hurt. Third, stay off the scale! I freaked when I weighed 237 after surgery but 220 days of. It's all the fluids they've pumped into you for 2 days. Shew! I know this has nothing to do with your question but it's things you need to know. Also, I chose not to tell anyone either. The only ones who know are my husband and his parents. It's nobody's business and id probably lose my shit if someone said I took the easy way out because this is anything but easy. Good luck on your journey to the new improved you. You've got this!

I just had my surgery on the 23rd, so a few days ago. I weighed 240 when I started the liquid diet and 220 on the day of surgery. I'm in the hotel now waiting for my flight tomorrow. First off, walk, walk, walk! You will need to walk to get rid of all the gasses they pump into your abdomen. Secondly, sip your water or it will hurt. Third, stay off the scale! I freaked when I weighed 237 after surgery but 220 days of. It's all the fluids they've pumped into you for 2 days. Shew! I know this has nothing to do with your question but it's things you need to know. Also, I chose not to tell anyone either. The only ones who know are my husband and his parents. It's nobody's business and id probably lose my shit if someone said I took the easy way out because this is anything but easy. Good luck on your journey to the new improved you. You've got this!
Congratulations on your new life! I will keep your advice in mind! That's great that you're doing well and I will stay away from the scale after surgery for a few days hahaha

Congratulations on your new life! I will keep your advice in mind! That's great that you're doing well and I will stay away from the scale after surgery for a few days hahaha
I definitely recommend not stepping on the scale more than once a week. My surgery date last summer was on a Monday, so Mondays are my weigh-in days. Some weeks, especially when I've overindulged a bit, I dread Mondays but force myself to jump on the beast anyway.

I track my week to week weight-loss, as well as my overall loss from my starting surgery day weight. Both give me a good perspective on my progress so I'm holding myself accountable while keeping any small gains or stalls in perspective. So far, so good!

I definitely recommend not stepping on the scale more than once a week. My surgery date last summer was on a Monday, so Mondays are my weigh-in days. Some weeks, especially when I've overindulged a bit, I dread Mondays but force myself to jump on the beast anyway.

I track my week to week weight-loss, as well as my overall loss from my starting surgery day weight. Both give me a good perspective on my progress so I'm holding myself accountable while keeping any small gains or stalls in perspective. So far, so good!
Good idea! Mine will be on a Wednesday so I guess I will have weigh in Wednesdays haha. Gonna need husband to hide it from me the rest of the week lol

Hey friends!
I'm having the sleeve on June 1st and I can. not. wait!!!!!!!! I am so excited. I want to talk about it all the time - and there's the problem. I haven't told anyone besides my husband!
I feel like I want to tell my best friend because, well, she's my best friend and I know she cares for me and loves me - but I don't want to tell her because she's never struggled with weight and she can be a bit crunchy granola about things - which means me having a surgery would be the last thing she would do if that makes sense.
Should I tell her? How do I tell her? Do I tell other people when I start losing the weight or just keep it private? I'm honestly embarassed because there is already stigma about being heavy in the first place - and the biggest reason I am worried about telling people is I'm so scared if it fails. So worried about failing!
What did you guys do? Any advice? Thanks so much!
Hi! I havent told anyone but two of my siblings, and my sister in law, because we have all been talking about getting the weightloss surgery. My sister in law have actually gotten the sleeve done August of last 2021. I have mention it to my boyfriend, and ask him how he feel about it, basically he was like if its medically neccessary then he dont have a problem with it. But I havent actually told him that I had the consult, and now getting ready for my EGD etc. But I will tell him, normally I discuss it with him in person. I havent told my parents because my mom is against the weight loss surgery, she thinks that it just need to be done naturally. But I have started the process, and i really dont care what others have to say about, nor will I allow anyone to dictate my health and what I do with my body.

I did that at a cookout! People kept asking me if I wanted more food and I was like I am full and would smear food on my plate lol lol I took a piece of cake and then walked around the corner and tossed it in the woods for the animals lol
I chose not to tell anyone other than husband, son, mom, and best friend. Now when people see me they say oh, you've lost a lot of weight and I just smile and say thank you, its a work in progress. Ok, there is one lady I would like to rub her face in my weight loss because when I was on Prednisone for a year I developed the moon face and body and she looked at me and made a puffy fat face, and she was overweight and still is. I know, I know, but, I will see her at a family gathering in another month and I will be even smaller! Ok, my sister Guru's I need this justice LOL LOL ...

Back