• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

How do I get started on this path of Weight Loss Surgery

Linny

How does one get started on this path? My doctor says I am a candidate for surgery, although she isn't recommending me for it just yet. So I am doing research on my own. I have so many questions;
What procedure? Apparently there is more than one.
How do I find out if my insurance covers it? ( Kaiser )
Is there a book? "What to expect when you are considering having bariatric surgery"
and the sequel? "What to expect now that you have a tiny tummy"
Or at least for right now; what is Chapter 1? How do I get to a pre surgery appointment?

The best way to get started is to locate a bariatric surgery center in your town and attend a free seminar. You will get a lot of your questions answered there.
As far as insurance, I don't think there is any way to predict what an insurance company will do. The first step is to call your 800 number and ask if they cover bariatric surgery. If they do, you will have to go through all of the pre-op steps your doctor requires before insurance can be filed and approved.
Good luck to you!

Welcome to the group! Go to at least one seminar, because each program has it's little differences. Go on amazon and get a few books like Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies (offensive title, but good resource). Go on YouTube and watch some videos (don't take the info as gospel, but you'll get a feel for things like the slang people use!). Take your time.....it takes months to complete all the required testing and get approval. That's time all of us have used to reflect, learn more, and just wrap our heads around it all.

Best of luck, and keep in touch with us!

Mimi

Hi Linny and welcome. I can only speak for myself as far as what the steps are. I'm sure they're a little different for everyone. One of the first things I did was call my insurance company to find out if weight loss surgeries are covered, and if so, which surgeries specifically. Also, some insurance companies require you to have a certain amount of time on a diet/weight loss plan through your doctors. From what I've seen, 6-12 months is usually that time frame. However, I didn't have to go through that process, so someone else may be able to give you more info regarding that.

My bariatric team recommended "Weighloss Surgery for Dummies", and I also read "The Success Habits of Weight Loss Patients". I found these both to be very helpful and informative. My primary physician is a good friend and while he didn't technically refer me for the surgery, he was very supportive which was helpful and made me feel more comfortable with my decision.

When it came time to make my first appointment, the first step was to go to a seminar in which members of the team go over details of each surgery, including the surgery process, recovery, success rate, and which surgery would best suit your needs. They also went over the insurance processes of most major insurance companies to help everyone prepare for what may lie ahead. This seminar was wonderful, and I hope every weight loss center has something similar. I went into the seminar wanting the lap band and saying "if the lap band won't work for me, I refuse to even consider one of the other surgeries." I thought the band was the simplest way to go and the thought of rearranging my organs was terrifying. I left that seminar knowing the lap band wasn't a good option for my needs and the best choice for me would be the gastric bypass or the sleeve. I love sweets and high fat foods(especially fast food), so I knew the band wouldn't be effective. I also didn't love the idea of having to go through the adjustments of the band. And if I was going to have one shot at this, I knew I wanted to choose the option that was going to give me the best chance at success. After the seminar, I made my first appointment with a surgeon, and we discussed the two options and we decided the bypass was for me. I had a wonderful surgeon with an amazing record and I couldn't be happier with my decision.

I am far from being an expert, as I'm only a month and a half out from my surgery and hopefully some other members can offer some advice as well. But I would say, start with your insurance to be sure you're covered and know what they require of you. I know I stressed about that until I knew for sure I'd be covered. Also, go into with an open mind and learn about each surgery and what type will be most beneficial to you. This is a wonderful place for information and support. You'll find tons of information, encouragement and advice here. Look through past threads and use the search option to find information you may be looking for. And if you have a question, just ask, there are people here in all stages of the process that can help out. It's a roller coaster ride full of ups and downs both pre-op and post-op, but, so far it's all been worth it. So far, I haven't had a moment of regetting my decision. Good luck to you and please let us know what you find out.
-Jenny

Welcome Linny,

I knew for a fact that I wanted WLS, before I went to my doctor. You need to have a referral for surgery from your PCP to get the ball rolling. If she said you are a candidate, she means you meet or exceed the body mass index threshold guidelines, which I believe is 38 BMI. It could also mean you are under the BMI threshold but have additional justification such as diabetes or blood pressure issues. If you belong to an HMO doctors are somewhat reluctant to give referrals because it messes with their stats. You have to ask for the referral. Before asking my doctor, I did my homework and had several arguments in my head to justify the request. I was a borderline candidate just over the BMI threshold but my diabetes put me over the top. When I went to my PCP, I requested a referral and made my arguments, he agreed to enroll me in an educational class on the WLS procedure and the risks, before he would grant me a referral. They did a good job in that class because 90% of the attendees immediately dropped out after learning what they would have to go through. I had no problem getting a referral after attending the class. The total process attending classes, weigh in's and screening procedures took five months. The rest is history and I have no regrets.

I have Kaiser coverage in the Bay Area and had my surgery at Kaiser South San Francisco. Their program was absolutely marvelous. The staff of dietitians, medical people and surgeons were thorough and precise. I felt confident in the information they provided me. The support they gave me before during and after surgery was superb. I go in for my six month evaluation in August and I am doing great.

Last edited:
Back