• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

i am 5 days post op and i am starving! help

Hi Margo, Are you using protein shakes? I stayed on clear liquids for two weeks but that did include 2-3 protein shakes a day. Then I went to full liquids supposed to be for two weeks and still use the shakes. The Dr. gave me permission to go to soft but with care after about three days on full liquids. I was not hungry and found the shakes really filled me up. I was constantly sipping something like broth, popsicles, juices, jello, and then the shakes. I still rarely actually get "hungry" and I fill up quite easily especially after having the fills. The first fill was 4 mls and I am now up to 6 1/2 mls. This last fill is probably where I will stay fora while. You don't want to eat too much and stretch your pouch and remember to eat in small bites, chew well, and sip sip sip. I found the shakes to be very satisfying and a great way to get the 60 Grams of protein every day and I think that helped with the hunger thing too. I don't know what your routine is. I have found that each Center has their own routine. Good luck, hope this helps. Five days might be a little too soon to move up. You want the area to heal well. Joy

thank you joy. yes i am drinking the protien shakes but only 4 oz at a time as my dr. suggested. can i stretch the pouch by drinking more liquid than 4 oz? i have not asked my doctor yet. i just figured i would post in on here first. i did ask if i can go on pureed sooner and my doctor said i can go on them sunday so that is the plan.the smell of food is driving me crazy. thanks so much for the info!

Margo,

My shakes are always 8 ounces so I can get the whole 20 Grams of protein. I sip them slowly and it takes me about 30 minutes to finish one. I still try to make them last at least that long. If I drink faster than that I will get nauseated especially right after I have had a fill. I really enjoyed my cream of wheat, greek yogurt, puddings, and eventually cottage cheese. They were very satisfying. But, as I said I rarely ever am "hungry". I start eating and realize that yes I am hungry. My problem was that I never was able to recognize when I was full. I would go out to eat with friends and come home starving and raid the fridge. That no longer happens and that is what I like about my Lapband. Wish I had done it lots sooner. Good luck, take it easy on the full liquids, don't inhale them, make a serving last at least 20 minutes. Use a small spoon and eat slowly. Joy

Joy is right about the little spoon it makes your intake slower and you don't over eat. Going from at least from2 cups of food to 2-4 oz is a process of the mind rather then the pouch. My Group leader always said, " are you really hungery or is it Mind hunger?" If In dought drink water you need it any way to make your water intake gole. The protine shakes really help my sister in law from being hungery she had lap band,my brother had the RNY and has trouble absorbing enough protine so they have a lot of protine drinks and smoothies with added protine they put 1/2 bannana in their smoothies for the potassiam.

thanks peggygoforth, i have increased the protien shakes from 4 oz to 8 oz and that has really helped me. i think i am hungry in my head moreso than my belly.

Hi, my program is different than others. We started on pureed foods the day after the surg & while still in the hospital. I stayed on pureed foods for about 2 1/2 wks. Talk to your support team, it may be fine w/them.

I found myself very full & about 20 minutes after I started I felt that feeling of fullness we so often hear about.
I actually felt scared a bit then bored but looking back it was a good, successful start to the process.

Make sure you get enough liquids. I cannot stress enough how awful it is to become really dehydrated & then try to get back to "hydrated" again.

Also, try to find ways to get more protein in where possible; add powdered milk to scrambled eggs & other things, too.

Good luck, best wishes. I actually think that the next part is even more challenging & find myself still stuck here - just saying.

Hi Mary, I haven't heard from you in a while. How is everything going? I hope it is easier to get your protien in daily now, although it seemed really hard for me the first year because I just wasn't hungry and had to remeber to eat. Take care. :cool: Tom

HI Robergnm Mary I haven't been on in awhile but I see you've lost alot how are you feeling? my day is getting closer and I am getting more excited as the day's pass. has your energy level gotten better? do you ever feel hungry even after you've had the required meals?I love my ice water and I hope I am allowed to still have it on a daily basis. I realize once they stop the diabetic med most of the cotton mouth will leave, yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh I love water more than any other drink trying to learn to sip now and not gulp it. I am doing my pre op testing this wed , each step is a step closer. hope all is going well for you
Donna

Back