• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I AM ALSO A NEWBIE LOOKING FOR SUPPORT

LU1027

HI I HAD MY SURGERY ON JUNE 29 . I'VE BEEN WINGING IT EVER SINCE TRYING TO STAY HYDRATED AND TRYING TO EAT RIGHT. THERE WAS SUPPOSE TO BE A SUPPORT GROUP I CAN TURN TO BUT BECAUSE OF COVID IT NEVER HAPPEN. . SO I FEEL SO LOST, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO EAT, IF I'M EATING THE RIGHT FOODS OR IF I'M EATING TOO MUCH OR TOO LITTLE.

Hi Lu, I'm glad you found us. My post-surgical group didn't make it online until yesterday (and I had to badger them for two months to get it online -- I mean if the therapist and doctor are going to tell us pre-op that part of our post-op, long-term success is dependent on attending support groups -- they should be able to figure out a virtual support group in 5 months, right?) So I know how frustrating and confusing that is!

We're happy to help as we can, but please know we're not medical providers. The clinic where I met with my nutritionist/psychologist/bariatician has an open door policy for questions where we call into the nurse's station (that's who I badgered, as well as my bariatician at my 6-month follow up AND the therapist at the pre-surgical support group because I kept going to that one because it did make it online). Did they give you any of that type of information, so you have someone to contact?

Hi Sunny , I glad I stumbled on this site too. Well my place gave me a book with instructions for before and after surgery and made us register for a support group that was mandatory after surgery that we had to pay for ahead of time. Well I had surgery and I figured the support group was delay cause of Covid so then I learned that the meeting is every third Thurs. and I was never informed. The next one will be end of Sept. that's a long way from now. I'm doing pretty good as far as healing I'm exercising and riding my bike. I put myself on an eating schedule of every three hrs eating a lil meal but I don't know what to eat or how much or if that is what I'm suppose to do. I keep gaining and losing the same two pounds lol.

Hi Sunny , I glad I stumbled on this site too. Well my place gave me a book with instructions for before and after surgery and made us register for a support group that was mandatory after surgery that we had to pay for ahead of time. Well I had surgery and I figured the support group was delay cause of Covid so then I learned that the meeting is every third Thurs. and I was never informed. The next one will be end of Sept. that's a long way from now. I'm doing pretty good as far as healing I'm exercising and riding my bike. I put myself on an eating schedule of every three hrs eating a lil meal but I don't know what to eat or how much or if that is what I'm suppose to do. I keep gaining and losing the same two pounds lol.

I had the sleeve in December. At eight weeks out I could not eat much 1/4-1/2 cup of food tops 3x a day and one premier protein shake and at least 64 oz of water/zero cal hydration drinks. It wasn’t much more than 500-600 calories a day.

My favorites were 1/2 of a Two Good Greek yogurt with 1/4 of a banana (mashed), and a piece of light string cheese or one Morningstar veggie sausage for breakfast, beanless chili with 6 multigrain crackers for lunch, and cottage cheese with 1/8 cup mandarin oranges in 100% juice (drained) for dinner. I had a hard time with stewed meat (pot roast) at this time (too stringy), but I did ok trying pulled chicken and pulled pork from the Instant Pot. I just had to chew a lot and start with 1-2 ounces of meat, because my sleeve wasn’t used to the texture.

Let us know how it goes and if you paid for support you are totally right you should be receiving it!

I had lapband 15 yrs ago, now going for bypass on 9/16. But anyway Beef is the most difficult meat to eat, even to this day it has to be very tender & cut like butter into small pieces 1/2 of a dime size still to this day. I'm sure it will be the same after my new surgery. Pull beef in the crockpot makes beef nice & tender.

Hi Lu, I'm glad you found us. My post-surgical group didn't make it online until yesterday (and I had to badger them for two months to get it online -- I mean if the therapist and doctor are going to tell us pre-op that part of our post-op, long-term success is dependent on attending support groups -- they should be able to figure out a virtual support group in 5 months, right?) So I know how frustrating and confusing that is!

We're happy to help as we can, but please know we're not medical providers. The clinic where I met with my nutritionist/psychologist/bariatician has an open door policy for questions where we call into the nurse's station (that's who I badgered, as well as my bariatician at my 6-month follow up AND the therapist at the pre-surgical support group because I kept going to that one because it did make it online). Did they give you any of that type of information, so you have someone to contact?
Good for you in getting them to do an online support group. I wish we had one. I had signed up early for every support group only to have them all cancelled because of Covid. That's why is joined this forum today so I can at least get some contact with other people and maybe some good suggestions. :)

I'm new to this. I had gastric sleeve 7 years ago and didn't have a support group before or after. I started at 267lbs by the time i plateued I wore 174lbs, I then got remarried after being widowed almost 10 years. Picked up about half of my weight. I just got approved to resleeve and dueodenal switch which I understand is the 2nd portion of the sleeve, which i wasn't aware of 7 years ago. I want to make sure that I'm doing this correctly this time to lose it for good, turning 50 this month and praying that there aren't any complications. What are some of the best liquid only/high protein options that others have had? I have premiere protein drinks and unjury are there any other tasty ones and recipes? Does anyone have any ideas of a things to do not to have the vitamin deficiencies with hair, B-12, D?

Judy, I hope you are asking questions and contributing ideas as much as you want to our online forum. I have been here for 17 months and I have absolutely loved this group and the people in it. I have learned so much and gotten such great support and advice here. I would rather be in this group than a face-to-face support group from the hospital, as I was when I first had the surgery.

I'm new to this. I had gastric sleeve 7 years ago and didn't have a support group before or after. I started at 267lbs by the time i plateued I wore 174lbs, I then got remarried after being widowed almost 10 years. Picked up about half of my weight. I just got approved to resleeve and dueodenal switch which I understand is the 2nd portion of the sleeve, which i wasn't aware of 7 years ago. I want to make sure that I'm doing this correctly this time to lose it for good, turning 50 this month and praying that there aren't any complications. What are some of the best liquid only/high protein options that others have had? I have premiere protein drinks and unjury are there any other tasty ones and recipes? Does anyone have any ideas of a things to do not to have the vitamin deficiencies with hair, B-12, D?
I drink Premier Protein too. I have also bough powdered protein drinks as well. There are some protein soup mixes out there too which is nice when the weather gets chilly. Besides the B-12 & D you mentioned, I also take Biotin. I just recently started losing some hair but I had probably more malnutrition than most as I had some complications after surgery. (see my post under introductions/newbies. I wish you luck in your new journey to get resleeved, all the best!

Judy, I hope you are asking questions and contributing ideas as much as you want to our online forum. I have been here for 17 months and I have absolutely loved this group and the people in it. I have learned so much and gotten such great support and advice here. I would rather be in this group than a face-to-face support group from the hospital, as I was when I first had the surgery.
Thanks! That is good to know. I just posted my introduction post. I look forward to getting to know you and others here in the group!

When I had my surgery 13 years ago, there was a support group at the hospital that met once a month. However, it was a mixed group of people who had yet to have surgery and were trying to learn about it and the very few people who actually had the surgery and had lost some weight.

I belong to the second group. And I can tell you that I only went two or three times because it was at night, I had to take buses and then walk in the dark in order to get to the support group.

When I was in the support group we were set up in a square of tables and chairs and the people who had not yet had the surgery kept staring at me. I kept looking to each person to see if they would look away but they didn't. They just blatantly stared at me trying to figure out maybe how much weight I've lost or what might be in the cards for them.

I could not deal with that. I wasn't getting any support. I felt like a freak. So I was incredibly glad to find this group. Not only is it online and safe, but the membership represents people who have had every kind of surgery and every kind of complication but they are still going strong. There are so many success stories, and there are also a lot of people with pre-op and post-op problems who need to see people who survived and thrived.

Being here is better then the in-person group, not only because it is so convenient and anonymous, but because the people here are just exceptional. You will learn a lot from this group and you will get a lot of good feedback about your own experience.

When I had my surgery 13 years ago, there was a support group at the hospital that met once a month. However, it was a mixed group of people who had yet to have surgery and were trying to learn about it and the very few people who actually had the surgery and had lost some weight.

I belong to the second group. And I can tell you that I only went two or three times because it was at night, I had to take buses and then walk in the dark in order to get to the support group.

When I was in the support group we were set up in a square of tables and chairs and the people who had not yet had the surgery kept staring at me. I kept looking to each person to see if they would look away but they didn't. They just blatantly stared at me trying to figure out maybe how much weight I've lost or what might be in the cards for them.

I could not deal with that. I wasn't getting any support. I felt like a freak. So I was incredibly glad to find this group. Not only is it online and safe, but the membership represents people who have had every kind of surgery and every kind of complication but they are still going strong. There are so many success stories, and there are also a lot of people with pre-op and post-op problems who need to see people who survived and thrived.

Being here is better then the in-person group, not only because it is so convenient and anonymous, but because the people here are just exceptional. You will learn a lot from this group and you will get a lot of good feedback about your own experience.
Understandable, that would make me uncomfortable as well. The bariatric center that I go to actually has a separate group that is for post surgery patients only and they have daytime and evening meetings. How good they are I haven't a clue since I haven't been able to attend. I am a big believer in online support as well as you can get help anytime of the day and not have to wait for a meeting.

Its tastes good I have had the Grape & Cherry both good & I just order Raspberry. Easy way to get Protein.
Then for drinking water I use Nestles Flavored Water

I bought things like MIO & Aldi's brand squirts, I bought orange/tangerine I put Vanilla Extract in, Tastes like a Orange Creamsicle I also put it in my Whey Shakes. Look at Recipes I put a few drink combos I use.

Back