• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I AM ALSO A NEWBIE LOOKING FOR SUPPORT

Is there any taste to it or does it taste just like regular water?
They are fruit flavored. I kept trying them as drinks and as popsicles The first few weeks after surgery, but I didn’t like the taste. I know several people in my support group who love them though.

Then for drinking water I use Nestles Flavored Water

I guess it doesn't matter how many times I write this but you are not drinking water when you are drinking Nestles flavored water. Each serving has five calories in it. I don't know where those five calories come from, and I know that Nestles is one of the most unethical companies on Earth. In the 1970s, when certain birth control pills were found to cause cancer, instead of dumping them out and destroying them after the FDA took them off the market, they were shipped overseas to third world countries where women were not informed of the danger by taking them. Nestles goes back to that scandal. There is nothing made by Nestles in my house, nor has there been for 50 years.

But that's a very important personal stand and I take in my life. The point of this message is that you are not drinking water. Why can't you just follow your doctor's instructions and drink the 64 oz of water required after this surgery? Your water contains calories. That automatically makes it a soft drink, not water.

Water performs an essential function in bariatric surgery. If it didn't, every doctor would not require you to drink it.

You can do what you want to do and you do so at your peril. But don't recommend it to anybody else. It takes thousands of words to explain to people that they need to drink water and it should not be obliterated with one post suggesting a product that is adulterated water. They don't even have their nutritional information on their site. I had to look it up. Here it is for your information!

I shouldn't have to remind you that water has no calories.

To all group members I would like to say, it is incredibly important that you do exactly what your surgeon tells you to do after surgery. This is not a simple bruise or even a broken bone that you have gone through. Your entire intestinal system has been rebuilt. You will never digest food the same way again. You made a choice to make a permanent change. That's good. But do not look for shortcuts now. Keep in mind that your eating disorder will always have you seeking out a non-medical way to appear to comply with your doctor's orders. Don't cheat.

Get at least 64 oz of actual water from the faucet or the garden hose or the kitchen sink or the water cooler every single day. Don't buy it, processed and sweetened and containing calories from any company. That's not water.

Sorry, I made a mistake in my last post. It wasn't birth control pills that were sent overseas once they were found defective in the US. It's even worse than that. It was baby formula.

Its tastes good I have had the Grape & Cherry both good & I just order Raspberry. Easy way to get Protein.
Then for drinking water I use Nestles Flavored Water

I bought things like MIO & Aldi's brand squirts, I bought orange/tangerine I put Vanilla Extract in, Tastes like a Orange Creamsicle I also put it in my Whey Shakes. Look at Recipes I put a few drink combos I use.

My clinic has a short list of non-carbonated/non-caffeinated/zero calorie drink options that they approve of, but it was fairly limited to Propel zero, Gatorade/Powerade zero, and Vitamin Water zero. They want you to get down the fluids however you can without adding calories. I tried them all before surgery and was fine. But after surgery I only liked the grape Propel and Powerade. Anything citrus doesn’t go over well anymore, except putting a slice of lemon in plain water. Ice water tasted the best for a long time.

They also okayed one cup of decaffeinated tea/coffee per day.

And then there was a list of protein drink sources a mile long.

They also gave me approved food lists every 2 weeks for the first 6. I find my most successful meals still come from that last list they gave me — even at 9 months post op.

I’m hoping resource lists like this are common? But maybe they aren’t?

For me it made shopping so much easier to know what was safe/normal when nothing felt quite right.

My surgeon gave us all a bag of samples, different Flavored Soups, Hot Choc. Protein20 Water, Bouillon, sugar free Jellos, Puddings, Premade Protein Drinks Broth, Fruit Drinks, all 15 gms of Protein. It was & opportunity to try different ones to make sure we like them before we go out & buy.

I like the Protein20 its & easy way to get 15 grams of Protein.

Welcome,

I use Protein 20 Water it comes in 16.9 oz bottles & has 15 grams of Protein in it. It helps me alot to get the Protein. I buy it at Walmart & Amazon.
Great, thanks. I just ordered and received from Amazon The Premier Protein water and it's pretty tasty. A friend also recommended protein h20 which only has 15g of protein, the Premier Protein water has 20grams of protein. I'm scheduled to resleeve/Duodenul switch on the 21st of this month. So i'm on the liquid for 2 meals and 1 small meal for the first week and then liquid diet only for the next full week

My clinic has a short list of non-carbonated/non-caffeinated/zero calorie drink options that they approve of, but it was fairly limited to Propel zero, Gatorade/Powerade zero, and Vitamin Water zero. They want you to get down the fluids however you can without adding calories. I tried them all before surgery and was fine. But after surgery I only liked the grape Propel and Powerade. Anything citrus doesn’t go over well anymore, except putting a slice of lemon in plain water. Ice water tasted the best for a long time.

They also okayed one cup of decaffeinated tea/coffee per day.

And then there was a list of protein drink sources a mile long.

They also gave me approved food lists every 2 weeks for the first 6. I find my most successful meals still come from that last list they gave me — even at 9 months post op.

I’m hoping resource lists like this are common? But maybe they aren’t?

For me it made shopping so much easier to know what was safe/normal when nothing felt quite right.
That would be great to have a resource like that to make it easier to be more successful. Thanks, I'll ask at my pre-op meeting on Thursday

Regarding hydration:

While plain water is the best option, if you know you aren't going to drink it, then any means of getting enough hydration, even if that is flavored water with 5 or 10 calories or whatever is better than going without. My clinic also specifically mentioned Vitamin Water Zero, protein water and the option of some drink mixes like Crystal Lite. There is often much higher compliance with flavored water than there is with plain water for people to reach their intake. That is just the reality. I'm sure my doctor or surgeon would love for me to drink water and only water, but that's not my reality. For whatever reason even if I have a bottle of water next to me, I won't drink as much if I have some ice tea (decaf) sweetened with stevia or something else like that.

If we were all perfect people, we'd just be drinking water, but we aren't perfect and we have our different tastes. Water is the best choice, by far, but not at the cost of getting dehydrated. No one should feel guilty about drinking what they need to maintain hydration. We want to make the best choices possible throughout this journey, but some choices won't be perfect.

"....we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence." Vince Lombardi

In my opinion:

Best option: water
Second best option: water flavored with the essence of natural fruit, like lemon, lime, etc.
Third: non-caffeinated, non-carbonated zero-calorie drinks sweetened with stevia or sugar alcohol
The rest comes after that, including flavored powders, pre-mixed vitamin and protein waters, etc.

Back