• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I Got Approved for Surgery!

Nal

I found out today that I have been approved for surgery by my insurance. I have been waiting for 8 yrs for this day. I look forward to March 20th. Anyone else have a surgery day coming up?

I just had surgery a little over 2 weeks ago. So Congratulations on your approval! March 20th will come faster than you think. Your new life is waiting for you!

Thank you everyone! How do you feel Nancy and how much weight have you lost so far?

I feel great! I have lost 20lb. since surgery. I still am trying to get my food right, what my stomach will take but I am working on it. I am down to less than 10 units of insulin a day ( I was at over 200 units a day). Dr. said next month I should be off all insulin. I feel human at last.

I feel great! I have lost 20lb. since surgery. I still am trying to get my food right, what my stomach will take but I am working on it. I am down to less than 10 units of insulin a day ( I was at over 200 units a day). Dr. said next month I should be off all insulin. I feel human at last.

Wow, that's great! What an inspiration. Have your cravings come back yet? I'm concerned about that. Especially since I was told that I don't have to change my diet to prepare for surgery. I was told to eat the foods that I love now. So I feel like a food vacuum

Some cravings came back but I sampled some of things I was craving and it wasn't the same. The taste was off and then I didn't want it again. You are lucky if you don't have to change your diet to prepare for surgery or maybe not. I had a 2 week liquid diet to prepare for surgery. This was after 6 months of low/no carbs diet where I only loss about 5 lb. The insulin I was on wouldn't let me loss any weight. There is a candy jar in the kitchen which is/was used for when my blood sugar dropped too low that I would steal candy from sometimes but I walk right by it now without wanting any. Cravings are different for each person. I now crave red meat which I can't have yet. I know some people didn't get their cravings back until much later after surgery if at all. Good luck with your surgery. Hopefully your cravings will stay away for a long time!

My craving are back but now if I eat sweets my sugar drops big time and then I have to eat more, so now I think before I put something sweet in my mouth, this is going to be a great motivation for me, at first I was frustrated but now I'm looking at the positive aspect of it. Wish me luck

My craving are back but now if I eat sweets my sugar drops big time and then I have to eat more, so now I think before I put something sweet in my mouth, this is going to be a great motivation for me, at first I was frustrated but now I'm looking at the positive aspect of it. Wish me luck

Best of luck to you definitely! My issue is sugar also. I look forward to seeing if the surgery will help with that

I found out today that I have been approved for surgery by my insurance. I have been waiting for 8 yrs for this day. I look forward to March 20th. Anyone else have a surgery day coming up?

Update: I got a call from the hospital asking if I wanted to Move the date of my surgery to the 14th. I declined because my baby turns 1 on the 17th, and I will be busy prepping for her party all week. Plus, the last thing I want to do is possibly be in pain, and on a liquid diet at her 1st birthday party. Besides, I'm already looking forward to what I'm going to eat lol. Has anyone else encountered anything similar?

How did it go? How are you feeling? Please share the details if that's okay :)
I feel better now. Not 100% but better. The pain the first few days is something that will stick with me for the rest of my life. I am now on a full liquid diet.. I am not that hungry at all, but I follow the orders given to eat to ensure that I do not get dehydrated or lack the vitamins I need.

Reactions: Nal
Update: I got a call from the hospital asking if I wanted to Move the date of my surgery to the 14th. I declined because my baby turns 1 on the 17th, and I will be busy prepping for her party all week. Plus, the last thing I want to do is possibly be in pain, and on a liquid diet at her 1st birthday party. Besides, I'm already looking forward to what I'm going to eat lol. Has anyone else encountered anything similar?
Good call. I just had my surgery and I can tell you now that you would not be able to function so quickly after to even participate. However, your experience and pain level may be different than mine.

Good call. I just had my surgery and I can tell you now that you would not be able to function so quickly after to even participate. However, your experience and pain level may be different than mine.

Thank you for that confirmation! I'm so glad that I decided to wait. I want time to prepare, indulge, and enjoy my daughter's 1st Birthday.

Thank you for that confirmation! I'm so glad that I decided to wait. I want time to prepare, indulge, and enjoy my daughter's 1st Birthday.
I agree as much as you want this your daughters birthday is more important. I didn't have alot of pain but I didn't have any energy. I remember going shopping not long after surgery and when I got home I was in pain, I thought I could handle it, but I definitely was not ready and I don't even think I was out that long. Your day will be here before you know it. Have fun at your daughters birthday and then get ready for your new life to begin

How did it go? How are you feeling? Please share the details if that's okay :)
I feel a lot better than the first few days after surgery. The pain that I felt was also due to scar tissue build up from me having the Lap Band prior. Now, its 3/15/18 and I feel great. I am now 185 pounds. Prior to surgery I was 198 so I lost 14 pounds so far. Walking around the house helped with the gas pain (Belching!). I stayed out of work for 3 weeks. I thought I could go back after 2 weeks, but my doctor didn't agree with me.
I will not lie, because of the pain, I questioned why I did the surgery, but my hubby was sooo darn supportive and stayed out of work for two weeks to help me get better. He gave me a lot of strength.

I am now on full liquids, but I get full really quick and I am trying to drink protein shakes... I know its a process and I will get there.

Back