• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I have a date!

zzvazquez

I am scheduled for surgery on Feb. 19th, 2013. For me it has been a long journey to this point. (at least it seems long to me) For many years I tried to lose weight and keep it off, I could lose fairly well at first, but it would always creep back. I was extremely confident that I would never need to resort to WLS, that I would and could do it myself. (At least that is what I told myself to make things better) Everyone kept telling me you can lose weight, I have seen you do it you don't need help, you just need to be stronger, have more will power, exercise more, eat less, etc., etc., etc. In my heart I knew each time I tried and the weight loss was less and less that I was fighting a losing battle. I have a very athletic son, who was very critical of me needing aid, unless it was him torturing me with exercises I just couldn't do (I have arthritis in both knees).

I felt like a failure, and like I was letting my family and myself down. It is just losing weight, not rocket science- why couldn't I do it? For years I was basically healthy for a person of my weight other than the arthritis I really didn't have any problems. I tried everything, as most here have I am sure- still nothing. I was without insurance for about 7 years and didn't really have any ideas what was brewing inside me. I started having some hot feet, thinning hair but didn't really think much of it, as I was preoccupied with the illness of my mother and father.

A little over 2 1/2 yrs ago I had insurance coverage again, and in reading the plan discovered WLS was covered, I started looking on the internet investigating and trying to find as much information as I could. In July 2010 I decided to sit my family down and talk to them about it. I got very mixed reviews to say the least. About a week later my mom had to have a surgery and I was taking care of her in my home, I was getting angrier and angrier thinking I just can't do this (not at her- at me, I was barely able to care for my own mother). At this point I had a lot of trouble walking and breathing (oh yeh I have asthma). My mom recovered well and went home, 2 days later she calls that she is having terrible stomach pains so we take her to the ER they dismissed her stomach issues but admitted her with a mild case pneumonia- she insisted her Primary Care Physician find the source of her stomach pains while she was there. He reluctantly ordered a CT of her stomach and chest. She had stage 4 Lung Cancer and died 5 days later.

Watching her die before me, absolutely crushed me, and I vowed not to ever let my children witness me die this way. But depression, guilt got in my way- I floundered for another year getting heavier and heavier, and then finally went to a seminar. I decided that day I would have the surgery and scheduled an appointment with the surgeon. The appoint went well - a little too well. I have BC/BS insurance and they cover the surgery without any kind of wait. Well so I thought - my husband is a member of a union - and the Union BC/BS plan requires a six month medically supervised diet plan, along with several co-morbidity. I was crushed, almost gave up. Tried to find a way around the the 6 month diet restriction (by the way - there is NO way around it). Finally my father talked to me and told me to get off my ass and stop feeling sorry for myself that if I had started the diet, I would almost be done by now. He was right! I didn't have a family doctor so I found one and started on my way - only to find I was diabetic, had high cholesterol, and my asthma was the source of my constant bronchitis and bouts with pneumonia. I started my medications and my diet plan in July of 2012, 2 years after I first decided to have the surgery. I hated it, plain and simple! But I could still hear the disappointment in my fathers voice, pushing me to continue.

I finished my diet plan the day before Christmas, and had my doctor do his testing to release me for surgery. I submitted all my paper work to my surgeon on Dec. 31, 2012 by fax - I think the office was actually closed that day - but I was sending it anyway. They called me on Jan. 2nd 2013 to say that it had been submitted to the insurance company for approval. I sat on pins and needles waiting to see if I would be approved, that went surprisingly quicker than I anticipated, I received my approval letter on Jan 14, 2013(my birthday). Then waited again for surgery date, on Jan. 18th 2013 I got the call - first avail surgery date Feb. 19th 2013. I still have to do pre-op testing and last nutritional consult (all wrapped into one 5hr long apt) on Jan. 31st 2013, finally visit with Surgeon Feb. 11th 2013, and then the finish line and the new starting line Feb. 19th, 2013.

Now I am in a kind of nesting mode - getting house ready, shopping for protein mixes and foods for after surgery. Getting support system set up and making sure everything is ready for when I come home from surgery.

If there is anyone reading this who is frustrated with the process ( I think insurance company's do this on purpose hoping we give up) DON'T EVER GIVE UP ON YOURSELF! Not everyone will agree with your decision, not everyone will be helpful. There will be obstacles in the road, count on it. I have had many people tell me that the surgery is too risky - I simply tell them - me not having the surgery is more risky, without the surgery I will never have a quality of life and I will eventually die an early death associated with complications of morbid obesity.

This is for me first, finally, something for me first. I can no longer take care of everyone else and leave myself to suffer. Regardless of the outcome of my surgery I KNOW this is the right thing to do. And I look at this as a blessing and a chance to lead a more normal and productive life.

It sounds like you have had a very long journey before you got to this place. Don't be too hard on yourself about dieting failures. It is estimated that 95% of people who lose a great amount of weight on traditional diets will gain it back plus more. The odds are against us!
Keep up with your support system, both online and local support groups. I think it helps to be "accountable".

I am so happy for you! You are finally doing something for yourself. Personally, I think you made a great decision to get yourself healthy. We're all here for you 100%!

hi zvazquez happy for you that you got your approval. You deserve to do something for yourself, i too went through a long wait took 9 months of waiting to get my approval and date etc. But i am happy to say that i finally got it done on 9-20-12 best thing i have ever done for myself. And loosing the weight really does help with the ortho-arhritis i have had alot less pain since loosing the weight. It feels so good to be able to walk through walmart and not be telling my kids, lets go cause mom can't take the pain. Now i can keep a up with them. So glad you didn't give up. You'll find alot of support with this group, i love comming to this site. Let me make a suggestion, you mentioned buying stuff for after surgery, others will tell you the same. Our taste buds change after the surgery. Carnation protein drink has a sugar free variety pack has vanilla chocolate and strawberry and if you mix it with skim milk it taste so good and it's light, the hospital gave it to me i could only consume small amounts while at hospital but now that i am 4 months out i can handle it, some protein mixes are hard to handle right after surgery. There are alot of places that send out free samles too.carnation breakfast essentials no sugar added is what it's called there is 5 grams of protein in the mix then you get i think 8 grams of protein from the skim milk. Let me also tell you about a site that i love that has alot to offer, it's called theworldaccordingtoeggface.org she had the surgery and went from over 300 pound to down to a size 4 she shows pic and offers years of archive receipes etc. I love her site. I hope you come back often and share your journey for you never know who you might be helping and we all want to help each other on this site. Hope you have a good day, and thanks for sharing your journey so far. Never give up you are important too, and others will see a happy new you come forth as you adjust to your new body .
Donna

surgery date

Donna I am so happy for you. U can do this.it will b the best decision you have ever made. I am 47 years old. And I was 35 when I had it done. And if I had to do it all over again. My husband had never went to the Dr. Much. We also had b BS also. So he went threw the six month visit with the Dr. My bday is on the 18th of Feb. So ill b thinking of you on that Fay. Her someone to keep us posted on how u r doing. I'm so pround of u. Just think by Xmas you will b wearing that red sexy dress. Lol. I'm still having a hard time to get my husband to exercise. He 56 years old. He day he is week. So I have been giving him b12 shots once a week. He told me he thinks that is helping. I hope so. When it comes time to exercise get up and do it. Congrats again
Ill keep n touch.
Janet Coleman.

Sorry if can't read the last post. My phone changes word..
If I had to I would do it all over n a heart beat.if you were he n Nashville Tennessee I would b at hospital to support you.

zzvazquez, unless the protein mixes are for before your surgery, I wouldn't recommend buying too much. I did and since my surgery I can no longer even stand the smell of them. I ended up using Isopure protein drinks instead. You will find your tastes have changed some after surgery. Good luck withe the surgery. I'm very impressed that you stuck with it through thick and thin, and by years end you will be a BIG LOSER.

:cool:

You go girl. I am so proud of you. January 18 would have been my son's birthday. ( It has been a year since his passing). everything happens for a reason. I had my lap band on 5/24/13. I told very few people. My family and some friends are supportive. I did this for my health and well being. In the past I would sabotage myself. It was as though I was afraid of success. Although I was a teen-age unwed mother, I supported myself, sent my children to college, and went back to school and obtained my master's degree. I never let my circumstances dictate my outcome. GOD has brought to you an extented family of supporters. Everything is done when it is to be done no sooner or later. You will do it.

Back